What new interconnect? £120

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by otoole_s, May 4, 2007.

1. otoole_s

otoole_s

Hi all,

I am running a Sugden CD21, Sugden A21a and Quad 21L through Linn k400 bi-wire. I am currently using my old Qunex 2 interconnects but these are clearly not upto the job in this system. Any suggestions? I was considering spending around £120.

Cheers
    Eric

otoole_s, May 4, 2007
  2. otoole_s

AlexTaylor

You must try the Siltech London at £100. Sugden's rep swears by Siltech and it's easy to hear why.

AlexTaylor, May 4, 2007
  3. otoole_s

Tenson Moderator

Hi Eric,

I don't know whether you actually hear big improvements with interconnects or if you are just following what the dealers and magazines tell you... but either way there are many people, myself included, who would say what you have is perfectly adequate and there is no reason at all to spend £120 on a bit of wire.

Tenson, May 4, 2007
  4. otoole_s

early

Interconnects can make a big difference , but big prices don't mean big performance .

Check eBay for a seller by the name of Dogsploge , he makes a silver interconects for around £ 30 , I took a punt on one and they was way better than my kimber silver streak ( £ 150 ) .

Sold the kimbers and bought another two and still put money in the bank.

early, May 4, 2007
  5. otoole_s

Antony

I have a penchant for Van den Hul all carbon interconnects and would recommend having a listen.

Antony, May 4, 2007
  6. otoole_s

AlexTaylor

Please not another wire war. The original poster should listen for themselves...

AlexTaylor, May 4, 2007
  7. otoole_s

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I would be interested to know how the poster established his cables were not up to the job?

garyi, May 4, 2007
  8. otoole_s

dreftar

I agree

I have used various wires, etc but find the biggest difference is short wires IE my speakers are inches from the amps!

dreftar, May 4, 2007
  9. otoole_s

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Well it's been a bit quiet here lately. Nothing like a cable war to kick some life into the place :rolleyes:

I'd agree though, why do you feel they're not up to the job?

Sounds like you've a good system there. Cables may very well make a difference and you may well have lots of experience of changing them and hearing the differences. However, it may well be the case that you've simply fell for the marketing.

Best advice, try for yourself.

Maybe zanash can sort you out with some home brews to compare. His are well regarded by many.

MO!, May 4, 2007
  10. otoole_s

nando nando

hi for all is worth, i have this iterconnects made for me and i persoanally think they are super, but system dependant, i would like to send them to anyone on sale or return basis, retail for £105.00 per meter.nando

nando, May 4, 2007
  11. otoole_s

beeroclock

I have have a pair of Zanash's silver interconnects
    (special order din to rca), that I am trying out at the moment.

Whilst I may end up with something different (his silver/gold), trying him is a no brainer. He has been an absolute pleasure to deal with. No pressure sale - just try it and see, and if you don't like it send it back.

For the money he charges though I seriously doubt you will find anything anywhere near his value.

regards philip

beeroclock, May 5, 2007
  12. otoole_s

Andy 831

I too am using Micks (Dogsplodge) silver interconnects, and as a cable sceptic, I was amazed how different my system sounded than when previously using a set of "Standard IC`s"

Maybe it was my imagination? but for me the sound was clearer , less veiled, instruments had more air around them the background seems darker, ooops must have just fallen for the marketing blurb.

Andy 831, May 5, 2007
  13. otoole_s

AlexTaylor

The Siltech cable, when compared to others, isn't necessarily any better hi-fi wise (things such as veiling, darker backgrounds etc blah blah blah) but the music is more expressive and involving.

AlexTaylor, May 5, 2007
  14. otoole_s

RobHolt Moderator

If DIY is out check out http://www.flashbacksales.co.uk/

Most stuff is £20-30 and they'll build to order. Superb quality, excellent VFM and very well made.

<edit> Just seen you run Qunex 2. This is a well built and electrically benign cable that performs as well as anything on the market so the good news is I've just saved you £120 :)

RobHolt, May 5, 2007
  15. otoole_s

otoole_s

In response ...

Hi all,

Thanks for all the suggestions. Firstly, its not to say that the Qunex 2 cable doesnt do a good job, its just I have tried cable that sounds better to me. I tried VAN DEN HUL THE NAME and chord chorus with my system. I preferred the THE NAME, which to me gave a more open sound although its half the price of the chord. So it clearly isnt about price and I only gave a £120 figure as a general guide as to what I would consider spending. Trust me I would prefer to spend less and get a better sound. I have listened to all sorts of interconnects with other systems, sometimes you can hardly tell the difference and sometimes it is amazing obvious. It is wise to always have as short cabling as possible as the cable is not there to add to the music just to get it from one component to the other with as little degradation of the signal as possible.

Regards
    Eric

otoole_s, May 5, 2007
  16. otoole_s

technobear Ursine Audiophile

For that money you can afford Krystal Kables Sterling 2 - a very fine solid silver interconnect. It's what I use and I recommend it highly.

It's a big step up from Sterling 1 but even that beats most non-silver cables at the price. Sterling 2 is much smoother and cleaner though.

http://www.krystal-kables.com/products/connects1.htm

ps. I got rid of the Van Den Hul D102 mkIII in short order after hearing the Sterling 2.

technobear, May 5, 2007
  17. otoole_s

Jimbo

Another vote for Zanash. He sends, you try, you decide before you pay. Cant get better than that. If you dont like, just send them back, although many dont they are that good.

Jimbo, May 5, 2007
  18. otoole_s

PSXmad2

Have to agree with the Zanash vote, try before you buy, possible home visit and lots of good straight forward advise. Hard to beat at any price.
    Tony

PSXmad2, May 5, 2007
  19. otoole_s

DaHood

Well I bought a cable from Dogsplodge off Ebay....I'll let you know how it sounds when it comes. Bought it this afternoon and he emailed me to say that he's already posted it. Quality service methinks!

DaHood, May 5, 2007
  20. otoole_s

AlexTaylor

I will be trying a new Siltech Interconnect next week. The Forbes Lake. I will let you know how I get on.

AlexTaylor, May 5, 2007
Ask a Question