What next? An upgrade question.....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Seeker_UK, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Seeker_UK

DavidF

try audioreview for some ideas.

You could do what I did...take punt on a valve amp (albe it in my case on a friends recommendation).

Youi should like what you hear.

DavidF, Nov 8, 2008
  2. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK

Well, we've moved the speakers a little. Toed them in in accordance with the paperwork Bob@Neat sent me. Levelled, tightened the spikes.

Sounds a bit better, the imaging is better (the instruments on occasion seem to 'sit' in the right place). Bass bloom is under better control but still goes a bit lairy on certain recordings ("Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" CD for example).

Hmm, still not totally convinced.

Currently, the Petites are on spikes on the Gravitases - maybe blu-tacking them might be better?

Seeker_UK, Nov 10, 2008
  3. Seeker_UK

DavidF

Seeker uk

1) toeing in?

IIRC from yur listening porition you should be able to sight driectly down the outer part of each speaker....

so...the left hand edge of the left speaker should neither be poiting in...or out. Etc etc.

2) some recordings willalways sound a bit naff

IMO can't be helped

3) spikes or blu tak??

:D

well, the jury is out!!

I must admit i have swung towards padding material recently....finding disused vehicle inner tubes an excellent (and importantly free :)) source of highly compliant rubber.

I also use an oak cone /ball bearing combination for isolation purposes.

I would say though (IMHO) if you do use a soft a material such as blu tak.... it pays to be liberal!

eg I recently put (an extra) two packs of blu tak between my cd player and its granite bass...(there was one pack there already)......the effects on instrument positioning +definition+bass/treble.....spoke for themselves.

:cool:

DavidF, Nov 10, 2008
  4. Seeker_UK

Jimbo

Removing the spikes and replacing with blu tac may increace the boom. I experienced that when i removed the spikes on mine. Try it though, i may be totaly wrong.

Jimbo, Nov 10, 2008
Ask a Question