What next for audio?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RobHolt, Jan 16, 2011.

1. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Dean,

It surely has to be pretty limited choice though, certainly compared to the days when every new release was available on multiple formats?

RobHolt, Jan 17, 2011
  2. RobHolt

jcbrum Black Bottom fan

To pick up on the themes expounded by Rob and Dean, ......

Pretty much every new release is available as a direct download of a digital file, or purchase of a plastic disc or memory card, with a rippable version of the file contained therein.

Doesn't this mean that a £40 iPod is a better source than an LP12 costing maybe £3k ?

If that is the case, then the only thing to decide is how to distribute the file format so as to include DRM or not.

I reckon the music distribution companies will be out of business if they don't recognise this.

The musicians need to sell their creations to live, and if the distribution companies don't co-operate with the buyers, then the market will circumvent them.

The future of Audio lies with selling the music in the format which buyers want, - and those buyers use iPods and computers.

JC.

jcbrum, Jan 17, 2011
  3. RobHolt

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

I was sat in my hifi room yesterday with The Convincer By Nick Lowe on cd and vinyl.

Mac-Young DAC for digital with a battery power supply for the dac. SME 10/V benz LP and Naim 323 cards with multiple local regulated power supplies for the phonostage.

listening to them level matched the vinyl is able to extract more fine detail, tone and texture at both ends of the frequency range than the cd. It might not be as pitch stable, but i'm happy to trade that for greater resolution right across the frequency range.

I can't wait for my next new purchase to arrive, the current Ben folds album, on vinyl. Recorded on 2" tape, mixed and mastered on an all analogue chain at Bernie Grundman's and cut to vinyl without the use of the digital delay line- they do a read forward with double tape heads- about as analogue as you can possibly get...

Nearly all the bands I like release on vinyl as well as digital. Ryan Adams, Ben Folds, Elbow, even old Tom Waits has just re-released everything, to name but a few.

The last four records I bought all came with free lossless digital downloads tokens included in the sleeve- i haven't bothered with any of them

sq225917, Jan 17, 2011
  4. RobHolt

Labarum

Yes. The future in in the cloud.

Quality need not be compromised. A multi-channel and stereo version at 24/96 (or higher) lossless download can be made available, and whatever lossy format the customer wants. Computing power being what it is, transcoding for less common formats could be done on the server on the fly.

Many Record labels already make their libraries available for download in multiple formats. If the big boys wont play musicians will setup up their laptops, make their own recordings, and upload them to their own servers. Quality will be variable, but what's new in that?

The publishers of printed books are facing the same challenges.

It really is quite exciting.

Labarum, Jan 17, 2011
  5. RobHolt

Dev Moderator

No, it doesn't mean that at all. IMO the iPod generation is generally less fussy about the absolute sound quality. They want to listen to music on the move and want to carry as much as possible with them. The modern music is generally more compressed and is specifically mastered for iPods, radios etc. and not for the HiFi brigade. It is as good as it needs to be to follow a tune. IME they listen to tracks whereas a vinyl fan is more likely to sit down and listen to music and listen to the whole album. So they are more fussy about the ultimate quality (or should that be perceived quality?). IOW different listening habits, difference preferences.

The plan fact is that music is no longer as important to the general population as it once was. There are alternatives such as games, or ring tones to waste your money on. A few years ago I was disgusted to read that in that year a record company made more money out of ring tones than CD sales. There's teenagers for you:).

Dev, Jan 17, 2011
  6. RobHolt

Mescalito

But the danger is that you start limiting your musical choices to what is available on vinyl.

That is when the software (LPs) are merely the means by which you assess the kit and the whole thing is utterly pointless.

Chris

Mescalito, Jan 18, 2011
  7. RobHolt

Basil

I shall refrain from cleaving you into separate parts with my Batleth, for now...

;)

Basil, Jan 18, 2011
  8. RobHolt

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Rob,

Choice on vinyl has picked up and is quite good. It is varied.

Have a look at Amazon for examples

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vinyl-Album...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=225281827&pf_rd_i=229816

Here are some forthcoming releases. Not just new material stuff but old albums re-released.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/new-releases/music/382539011/ref=pd_ts_m_h__mte

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jan 18, 2011
  9. RobHolt

lindsayt

In 2021 we'll all have GZK 8000 robot butlers who will get up and turn the record over for us when it reaches the end of side.

The average biological age of audiophiles will stop increasing by 1 year every year. This is because AANI's (Anti-Ageing Nanobot Injections) will be available on the NHS. The nanobots contained in these injections will repair the cell damage done by ageing and keep us all in a state of perpetual youth.

Traffic jams on the M25 will be a thing of the past thanks to heavy water fusion fueled flying cars. Anti-inertia fields will allow the fitment of 20th century replica turntables into the centre console of these.

Cloning technology will allow us to work for only two and half days per week, with the clone going into work for us from Wednesday afternoon to Friday. This will double the amount of time we have for listening to music.

We'll all be living in mile high skyscrapers where cinema screen sized 3d TV screens will be all the rage - with the optional fitment of Klangfilm speakers behind the acoustically transparent screens.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2011
    lindsayt, Jan 18, 2011
  10. RobHolt

Basil

Sounds wonderful, but one day, someone's going to play something by Queen, U2 or Simply Red and then it's Crush, Kill, Destroy!

Basil, Jan 18, 2011
  11. RobHolt

Dev Moderator

You can't put the above in one sentence!!! Queen and U2 produced some decent stuff. :D.

Dev, Jan 19, 2011
  12. RobHolt

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Queen? r u sure?

lAmBoY, Jan 19, 2011
  13. RobHolt

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

I predict that the number of people interested in posting on forums will decrease - and so will the number of forums on which people can post....

YNMOAN, Jan 19, 2011
  14. RobHolt

Dev Moderator

I like one or two of their tracks ;)

Dev, Jan 19, 2011
  15. RobHolt

VinylLover

VinylLover, Jan 19, 2011
  16. RobHolt

nando nando

pye black box.

nando, Jan 19, 2011
  17. RobHolt

Purite Audio Purite Audio

My prediction, Mac/PC/Hard Disc/cloud source into a 'box' which will include AD DA, async transfer protocol ( probably USB) properly dithered digital attenuator, active room correction ,all controlled by IPad, not much of a prediction really as a prototype already exists.
    Keith.

Purite Audio, Jan 19, 2011
  18. RobHolt

Haselsh1 Shaun H

The proof as they say is always in seeing it with your own eyes in a mass market situation.

Haselsh1, Jan 19, 2011
  19. RobHolt

Labarum

I inherited one of those. I look forward to it appreciating!

[​IMG]

Push-pull valve amp

[​IMG]

I wish my case was in good condition like this one

[​IMG]

Labarum, Jan 19, 2011
  20. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Yes that's very likely.

But hopefully the general quality of posting will improve as the hobby moves back to a core of enthusiasts.

RobHolt, Jan 19, 2011
Ask a Question