what positive effects have cables had on your personal system..

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by banpe2006, Dec 1, 2007.

1. banpe2006

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

jesus MIC if you can't hear the dogshite digital artifacts in a DEQ then theres no way you'll ever hear the differences a good cable can make.

Does your Sp10 go through a DEQ?

sq225917, Dec 2, 2007
  2. banpe2006

JCL

Bloody sort it out you pussies:mad:

JCL, Dec 2, 2007
  3. banpe2006

Bob McC living the life of Riley

You won't get Zanash and his cables there because he has money to make and as he has stated many times before if you can't hear a difference either you or your equipment is bolloxed.

Bob McC, Dec 2, 2007
  4. banpe2006

anon_bb Honey Badger

Even if it isn't possible from a technical perspective - a blind listening test would likely be able to tell them apart at some level significantly greater than chance. Unlike cables. At the moment science has nothing to explain.

anon_bb, Dec 2, 2007
  5. banpe2006

Wickfut

hello sherlock . for the third time now - I HAVE ALWAYS SAID I WILL TAKE YOUR TEST what part of it are you failing to understand ? quit trolling/baiting or learn to read

yes you are, you are adding FAKE effects, what the TACT does is it takes a sample of your rooms natural reverb and a sample of each speakers in room EQ then it computes an out of phase audio signal over the top of the music to cancel out the room while adding a delay unit to simulate a kind of doplar effect to make the room larger.

so not content with throwing some junk EQ into your hifi , now you want to add a form of convolution reverb effect unit (that is a delay/reverb unit that samples the decay from other rooms by the way just so your lack of experience knows) . Why dont you just go out and buy a dolby surround amp and listen to your music on that ?

who gives a shit?

look back on these threads and see how you have addressed me and others previously.

Back on topic...and just to spell it out for you one last time so that you cant refute it...

I WILL TAKE YOUR TEST, comprende ?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2007
    Wickfut, Dec 3, 2007
  6. banpe2006

Wickfut

Zanash sends the cables out to you without you giving him a penny , he lets you try them for as long as you wish to help you make a choice if to either buy them or send them back to him, he will also upgrade your cables so you only pay the difference in the amounts instead of paying a full price for a new cable.

he is not pointing a gun to anyones head and forcing them to buy his cables and he is not forcing people to buy his cables without hearing them in their own system first.

why dont you give this guy a break , his cables sound excellent and his service is second to none.

and I also agree with him , if you really cant hear a difference between cables then either you havent tried it and are lying , you are going deaf , your hifi isnt as good as what you think it is or your hifi setup/room is very wrong. But lets be realistic, If someone is using some 30p per metre bell wire speaker cable and they swap over a £20 IC for a £200 IC then the bellwire speaker cable is going to be the bottleneck of information so the chances are, they wont hear it.

Wickfut, Dec 3, 2007
  7. banpe2006

JCL

[​IMG]

Can't we all just get along...

JCL, Dec 3, 2007
  8. banpe2006

Dev Moderator

LOL.

Wait til they discover HiFi and cables:D.

Dev, Dec 3, 2007
  9. banpe2006

anon_bb Honey Badger

Absolute nonsense.

Lets go and try it on your system. Bet you cant tell the difference blind.

anon_bb, Dec 3, 2007
  10. banpe2006

Stereo Mic

Charming as ever. Anyway. Next time you are in the area let us know and we'll arrange for a group of us to observe you trying to pick out cables in a highly resolving system - should be entertaining.

So are you telling me that the music you are listening to isn't processed in a similar way. Let's make this simple. What's the RT60 of your listening room? What's the critical distance of your listening room? Are you sitting within that? If not, what the hell do you think you are trying to protect because it sure isn't the original signal? With regards to EQ, what do you think (let's ignore the proven facts for a minute) different cables might be able to do if it isn't evident in the frequency domain?

Well spelt!

Firstly distance selling regulations give anyone buying anything 10 days to decide whether they want to keep it or not. To refuse this effective home trial is illegal. Secondly it's a clever way of getting a product into your home - a proven way of selling. Statistics show us even disappointed buyers are unlikely to return. Finally you never make an objective judgement. As he won't supply samples for proper testing, he sells by word of mouth. I'll let you guess why he will not provide samples ;)

Man you've got it bad! I'd like to think my system is capable of resolving small details. Take a test - what are you scared of?

Stereo Mic, Dec 3, 2007
  11. banpe2006

banpe2006

Stereo Mic, do you have the facility to hold a small test?

banpe2006, Dec 3, 2007
  12. banpe2006

Stereo Mic

Hi Banpe,

I've mentioned before that I have a preamp with two outputs and a power amp with two inputs so it's really easy to run a blind test or ABX. I've been waiting for Zanash to provide samples then a few ZG'er would be welcome to take the test.

Stereo Mic, Dec 3, 2007
  13. banpe2006

Wickfut

I can do it on my hifi , I know the sound of my hifi very well and so can hear changes in balance/detail - if you throw me into an unknown system then I wont know the normal balance/detail to know if there has been a change.

I don't know of any engineer who throws a digital delay over the entire downmix sorry. They may use effects over individual sounds or tracks but not an entire mix unless it is band compression or parametric EQ.

RT60 for room at 100hz is 67ms to 2.08 seconds at 4000hz

as for the rest - Yes I am trying to protect the original signal as throwing a few DSP chips in the signal path which alter phases, EQ and add echo isnt making the signal more pure is it.

As for the different cables , cables can act like a filter but also can effect stereo width and depth. A solid centre image with one cable can turn into a smeared centre image with another depending on its construction (usually solidcore vs multi stranded)

Ive bought 2 cables and sent one back, I could have sent all 3 back if I wished but decided using my ears that I liked the sound from them. So much so that they are being used still in my hifi even though I own other cables.

my take on why he wont provide samples is because no matter what happens, you will not change your stance regarding cables.
    You have opened your mouth too much to suddenly have a change in polarity regarding your views.

so you arent actually sure if your hifi is capable of resolving small details ?

Wickfut, Dec 3, 2007
  14. banpe2006

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

The positivity of cables in my sytem (right now in 2007) is that I realize an important connection is important, and build quality too, also a good shield to stop mains hum.

I now want good locking connectors (or damn tight ones) shielded cable, and something that will withstand a badly placed snip or speaker spike. That rules out the freebies, and puts me in £15-£30 land, and well made proffessional cables.. where I'm happy enough.

..actually I'm not, because some of my dearer cables don't meet that criteria, but they work so I dont want the expense of the change.

bottleneck, Dec 3, 2007
  15. banpe2006

shrink

i would like to think my hifi is the best in the world and it can make cups of tea.... doesnt make it so.

I can however say that my system is highly resolving, and on friday night i tried swapping my typical cable choice of Gale XL-315 (nice cheap and fit for purpose cable for all you naysayers) for some kimber 8TC (an expensive waste of money for all you naysayers)

The conclusion was obvious to both me, my mate and my girlfriend at the time. The 8TC was allowing much more of the signal to get through unharmed. It was cleaner, more open, bass was tighter. It wasn't a subtle difference, it was very noticeable even on casual listening.

The Gale at £2 a metre is good stuff, and sounds just fine on lower end systems that are incapable of digging up the extra detail in the first place. But on my system it was just holding potential back on quite a scary level.

Suffice to say, some 8TC will be on its way to me very shortly.

shrink, Dec 3, 2007
  16. banpe2006

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

hi Shrink... maybe you can be the 1st to combine the two...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bottleneck, Dec 3, 2007
  17. banpe2006

shrink

theres gotta be a few quid in that bottleneck :)

shrink, Dec 3, 2007
  18. banpe2006

sastusbulbas

Personaly, I feel getting the best room possible, is the most important goal, and not always achievable.

I do not think EQ solves this completely, nor that all sollutions available are always the best options. There seems to be compromises at every point in this hobby, and most with enough experience will take the path which is either more convenient or causes less damage I guess.

Wether using EQ in the analogue or digital domain, active crossvers with active speaker packages etc etc they are all going to be used to add or subtract in some way from the original signal, and the room may still colour the sound.

In comparison, a well set up system with very high resolution components in a well thought out room of good acoustic properties and a minimum of room treatment requirements, nothing is subtracted or added, but the room may colour the sound.

For many, adding the extra processing and equipment required for that correction may be a sideway step, others may use a combination, I myself do think there is something to be said about high quality ancillaries with reasonably smooth frequency responses, but think the best option would be active with adjustable analogue crossovers, adjusted with computer aid for room responce problems.

But how many will want to house a complete three way speaker system with active crossovers and three power amps, plus learn the computer savvy to set such a system up, and indeed how many have a location to use such a system.

Personaly, I felt my previous locations were much better than my current. I now think some sort of EQ may be in order, but not at the expense of resolution. I will start at some point, at the bottom, with items such as the Behringer, maybe upgrade the PC and its soundcard and look at something like Clara?
    With such kit I will get a better idea what my room is doing, and with the visual aid of what a PC or EQ unit is telling me, along with my ears, I may be able to reach a better compromise.

sastusbulbas, Dec 3, 2007
  19. banpe2006

ADPully

I also think the room is critical more so than cables but so far I have shied away from adjustment units. There seem to be a lot of people who just buy them and then sell them - just like sub woofers and supertweeters.

My feelings are that passive absorbion panels are the way to go. But so far I have wimped out of purchase.

I have recently moved my system into a new room and Its proved to be a large downgrade.

Are there any users of high resoution systems who use active eq units out there?

Andy

ADPully, Dec 3, 2007
  20. banpe2006

rollo

Its a bird, no, its a plane, no, its Captain Cable to save the day. I feel safe now, beware cable manfs. The Captains about. HeHeHe.
    Kidding around aside If asked Nordost will bring their line of cables to a club venue and demonstrate the differences of performance up their line. Could be interesting.

rollo

rollo, Dec 3, 2007
Ask a Question