What shape are your ears!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tim F, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Tim F

Tim F

Hmm as I do sometimes got thinking about this. If I push my ears out the sound from the hifi changes a great deal, it becomes more focussed and louder, is it possible that we appreciate stereos very differently based on this??

I await your opinions.

Tim F, Nov 29, 2005
  2. Tim F

Dick Bowman

Some years ago there were things called "Easy Listeners" - or something like that. Leather flaps something like elephant's ears, you strapped them on. Sam Tellig raved about them for a month or so (as usual) in Stereophile. Never saw them in the flesh.

Dick Bowman, Nov 29, 2005
  3. Tim F

jtc

Ha ha, I'd *love* to see a picture of those - and the chance to borrow a pair to see my wife's face ;)

jtc, Nov 29, 2005
  4. Tim F

RolfeZ

Is it April 1.?? :) Anyways, the shape of the ears are an important part of the sound reception. It also helps the brain 'decode' where sounds come from (also based on the time delay between ears). Maybe one should 'tune' the ears as an upgrade to the hifi -haha. At any rate it could explain why people hear different things.

RolfeZ, Nov 29, 2005
  5. Tim F

Anex Thermionic

Those ear things did work but lets be honest, your not going to wear them are you.

Are you? ;)

Anex, Nov 29, 2005
  6. Tim F

Tenson Moderator

At the same time though, because we are so used to hearing through our ears, our minds compensate for things a huge amount.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2005
    Tenson, Nov 29, 2005
  7. Tim F

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Yes, but if you said "you" could hear through your eyes, "our" minds would compensate a lot more - or perhaps "make allowances" would be a better phrase. Maybe that remark should be on the dope-smoking thread.

SteveC, Nov 29, 2005
  8. Tim F

Tenson Moderator

Gosh, it was only a grammatical error. I'm sure you understood what I meant. Now edited.

Tenson, Nov 29, 2005
  9. Tim F

rsand I can't feel my toes

A phenominon I too have noticed, if I fold my arms behind my head (resting back of head on hands) which is a common way to relax, the sound changes quite a lot.

rsand, Nov 29, 2005
  10. Tim F

Oooh that's cheating, Tenson! There was nothing wrong with it grammatically. Now posterity doesn't have the pleasure. It was just that the strange fear of doing a Prince Charles by saying "...one...this...one...that" looks odd from where I'm sitting (cunningly getting back to the subject of ears).

SteveC, Nov 29, 2005
  11. Tim F

Fen Dancer Two left feet

[​IMG]

Fen Dancer, Nov 30, 2005
  12. Tim F

jtc

My God, when I first saw that I thought it was a kind of mutated fœtus... urk!

jtc, Nov 30, 2005
  13. Tim F

amir

I think it's quite room accoustic result and in dead rooms like professional studios i don't think pushing ears make huge difference.

amir, Nov 30, 2005
  14. Tim F

RolfeZ

Yes it does. The shape of the ears are important to how the sound is perceived.

RolfeZ, Nov 30, 2005
  15. Tim F

Chris

Any zerogainers happen to be plastic surgeons ? If we can find the best shape lugs to have might be a cheap upgrade. Or what about a brain surgeon to enable us to hear CDs as if they sounded like vinyl with direct inputs to bypass having to buy speakers and things..

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2005
    Chris, Nov 30, 2005
  16. Tim F

RolfeZ

Actually someone once took the sound from a violin I think it was, recorded it, put it though some fourier transform to split it up into harmonics, took out some of the harmonics and put it back together again and had a hard time telling the difference.
    The brain compensates for lacks in the reproduced sound to recreate in the head what it thinks it should be based on experience. Or something like that. In conclusion, going to a concert, listening 'analytically' then go home and look at a picture of a Stradivarius and replaying a sine-wave might be great - haha.

RolfeZ, Nov 30, 2005
  17. Tim F

I once did that with an alarm bell, a Nagra tape recorder, a Bruel and Kjær spectrum analyser, a Fortran program, a PDP 11/34 minicomputer and an FM tape recorder running in 1/64 real time (because the computer wasn't quick enough) connected to the back of said mini. It sounded like a bell, yes, but it wasn't hard to tell the difference :)

SteveC, Nov 30, 2005
  18. Tim F

RolfeZ

It's a little off topic I know, but how many harmonics did you take out? A guess a bell must have even more harmonics than e.g. a violin, hm. maybe not. Don't know.

Cheers
    Rolf

RolfeZ, Dec 4, 2005
Ask a Question