What to do with my Quad II's??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ModelCitizen, Dec 30, 2003.

1. ModelCitizen

ModelCitizen

I have a pair of Quad II valve power amps with original valves. I also have the matching pre-amp and tuner but i believe both of these are are fairly pants.

I'd like to use the valve power amps for a second hifi. This means getting hold of a pre-amp that has a an ouput matched for the Quad IIs and also a set of speakers suited to the Class A valve amps.

Has anyone any idea how to make the best of these without breaking the bank (as it's a second stereo I'd like to spend as little as possible really)?

ModelCitizen, Dec 30, 2003
  2. ModelCitizen

Paul Ranson

Pretty much any preamp and any reasonably sensitive speakers will work fine.

The complication is providing the power amps with a mains switch and finding a place to apply the input. I think you can buy the signal plug (this cable carries power back to the preamp as well as the signal from it, so care is required) and build a phono socket onto it making an adaptor. This keeps your amps original. The mains is a standard sort of Bulgin connector.

I used my Quad 11s with an old Linn LK1 and a pair of cheap Boston bookshelf speakers for a couple of years in my office. Worked very nicely.

IIRC 'The Emporium' were selling the plug. I'm sure they're in Google.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Dec 30, 2003
  3. ModelCitizen

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

:) my kind of question.

For budget speakers, how about some yummy quads - keeping it in the family?

[​IMG]

For a valve pre-amp Id reccomend the one I bought myself:

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/diy_kits/the_basie.html

IMO this pre-amp is as good as any line level pre-amp Ive heard. Its a DIY kit, but they do build for you for a little extra.

If you go this route, send me a PM and Id happily discuss the merit of the options available on the kit.

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Dec 30, 2003
  4. ModelCitizen

adam

You could also pick up a second hand Conrad Johnson PV10,I think i saw emporium also having one for sale at about £475,they were £1200 new,and are very highly regarded.

Staying second hand you could look at some Sonus Faber concertinos,should be around 300ish for the originals,sound nice with tubes.

adam, Dec 30, 2003
  5. ModelCitizen

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I agree with the others. Get a pair of sensitive speakers & a good pre amp. You do need to get the input sorted so you can use current pre amps.

For under £500, you can look at the options mentioned plus lookout for pre amps by Croft, Audio Innovations & EAR. These are good sounding valve preamps & are fairly common. I have seen examples of these for under £300 recently.

Speakers, you have a very wide choice. If you stick to an easy load & a sensitivity of upper 80s & into 90s db/w/m, you will get some enjoyable sounds.

Add a good cd player or turntable & away you go.

I have a pair of Quad II & have used them with a wide range of stuff including Croft Vitale pre, Audio Innovations L2, SJS Arcadia Model 1 & Finestra. Also Snell k, Audionote J, Horning Agathon & Living Voice Avatars OBXs loudspeakers. I have also used a Garrard 401 turntable with them.

Have fun.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Dec 30, 2003
Ask a Question