What volume for my Audions with a pre?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tim F, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Tim F

Tim F

I'm a little confused about this, my Audion power amps have volume controls on them but as I'm running multiple sources I use a pre already. What volume should the Audion's pre be set at? (I can't bypass it). At the moment I'm about midway. I guess I'm wondering about 2 things 1) sound quality 2) tubes being driven harder.

Thanks! Tim

Tim F, Apr 17, 2009
  2. Tim F

zanash

I've use similar setups with two volume pots ....I tend to set the power amp to max output. I do this by having the contrl pre set to zero and the power vol to 30% then bring in the contrl vol this stops any full range by accident ....I then increase the power amp to near full or full vol tthe control pre is then increased to the desired volume ...... the settings are then left on the power amp and the volume contrioled by the first pot.

I find it sounds best with the power volume resistance reduced near zero ....

zanash, Apr 17, 2009
  3. Tim F

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Set the volume control on the power amps to max and only use the volume on the pre to adjust gain.

YNMOAN, Apr 18, 2009
  4. Tim F

Tim F

Thanks guys I'll adjust them to max. Much appreciated.
    Tim

Tim F, Apr 18, 2009
Ask a Question