What would you do?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by julian2002, Aug 20, 2004.

1. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

hi all,
    my nap250 really should be sent back to the mothership for a service. it's getting on for 12 years old and although it sounds fantastic (imho) i don't want it to suddenly start leaking electrolyte all over my floor or for the magic smoke to escape.
    so, this leaves me with the prospect of the better part of a month with NO MUSIC (shudder).
    i seem to have a few choices, however, funds, as always, are limited so should i...
    1) try to bodge something up with my 3 channel yammy dsp e800 by connecting my dac to the rear channels of the 6 channel analogue input and using my b&W's on the rears as fronts (if you see what i mean).
    2) sell the yammy and get a more traditional a/v amp (with front pre outs) and use that as a stereo amp until my 250 returns all shiny and new and then just use it for processing/ center / surround amplification.
    3) buy a 4pin din to phono amp lead for my 82 and find a cheapie power amp to use as backup.
    4) find an integrated / pre-power that i can live with for a month and then possibly sell on or use in a theoretical 2nd system. this option is leading the way at present as it'll mean i have a complete backup amp system if any of my other naim bits needs a service too (82 and hi-caps are similar vintage).

budget is 200 quid. i'd like to try some valve amplification but at 200 quid it may be asking a lot (unless i want to pay 150 quid shipping and wait 3 months for donkey couriers to stransport it from the far east).

suggestions as to which option to follow and best buys for that option / links to bargains etc. much apprieciated.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 20, 2004
  2. julian2002

lordsummit moderate mod

Buy yourself a Nait 1 or 2 and sell it when you've finished.
    Though if Mr Pig on PFM is right you'll be selling the 250 when it comes back

lordsummit, Aug 20, 2004
  3. julian2002

Dev Moderator

For one month, can you not borrow an amp from a friend or a forum member? Some members apparently have a lot of spare kit. For example, I can certainly loan you a pair of speakers.

Dev, Aug 20, 2004
  4. julian2002

dev,
    i probably could borrow an amp for a short while but as the rest of my naim gear could probably also do with a service too (when funds become available) i could possibly be back at square 1 in a month or 2 if i borrowed stuff.

lord summit,
    a nait 1/2/3 would certainly fit the bill - i loved the sound of a nait 2 when i heard one a few years ago, however finding one for 200 sheets is like trying to find a needle in a haystack (if you know of one let me know). i've seen some likely looking stuff on the emporiums web site but was just hoping for some alternate opinons....
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 20, 2004
  5. julian2002

lordsummit moderate mod

The last two that sold on ebay went for £215 and £178. A Nait one went for £150 not long since. Try an advert on PFM

lordsummit, Aug 21, 2004
  6. julian2002

i think i just might, thanks lordsummit
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 21, 2004
  7. julian2002

Graham C

You can borrow an Audiolab 8000LX from me anytime. It might do it good to charge it up once in a while..

Graham C, Aug 21, 2004
  8. julian2002

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Julian - I sometimes am without my main system for a month - if something goes wrong or gets built for me.

I then listen to either - music through the xbox, or music through the PC.

Why not get some 1/2 decent PC speakers, or little active monitors and use them on your PC?

I bet it would cost lots less than 200.

bottleneck, Aug 21, 2004
  9. julian2002

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

I reckon you should go on holiday for 2 weeks in amsterdam :JPS: while ur stuff is being refurbed then it will only leave you with 2 weeks without music! Ive been 3weeks without music when i went to singapore last summer, made my system sound so darn good when i got back as i had to make do with my cousin's supposedly 1000watt rms sony all in 1 karaoke/pro logic high end beast :rolleyes: ;) Seriously tho, amonth really aint that long, id spend that £200 on something not hifi :D If you are desperate for an amp u can get a marantz pm7200 for that, you can see for yourself what all the fuss is about :p

Cheers

Ultra

Ultrasonic, Aug 21, 2004
  10. julian2002

i went to thailand a couple of years ago with only a minidisk for music and can fully empathise with what you're saying however in order to fund the service i need to be at home in the bit mines so a holiday ain't gonna happen. if i get the marantz don;t i need some bits of magic wire to make it sound good ;). tbh at present i'm just hanging back seeing what turns up. i'll pay off some of my credit card and then pounce on something that takes my fancy. i'd love to try some valves but a 200 quid integrated valve amp that i don;t have to build myself is an elusive beast.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 21, 2004
Ask a Question