Whats Happening here

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Davewhit, Nov 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davewhit

Davewhit

Do not often post here hang out on wigwam and hifi choice forum where I am a mod

That said I often read the posts here, and for a long time the quality was some of the best on the web.

But in recent months, been in and out of hospital and have had to cut back of web time :(

But in recent weeks (about seven) there has been more and more comments about Zerogain on other forums ( seems unlike other forums negative comments not allowed here)

The comments are about the "clicky" ness of the group here and the inability to deal with extrem points of views (cables comes to mind)

so are these comments correct or are they not has Zerogain become a clicky group of one comment I can remember was anal retentive I think

if so why ?

if not why has Zerogain lost its postion of top dog ?

whats going wrong

this is not a troll or a flame post

I have been keen on hi fi for 37 years and feel all forums offer that something extra for them of us who want that little extra from our hobby

regards

Dave

Davewhit, Nov 11, 2005
  2. Davewhit

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Dave this IS a troll or flame post. *not nice comment removed by mod* back and tell all your friends what a horrid experience you had. Its inevitable where this thread is going to go, lets save some time.

garyi, Nov 11, 2005
  3. Davewhit

rsand I can't feel my toes

Hi Dave, I don't think anyone is capable of discussing cables in rational manner just like over on HFC. Beyond the cables (and BMW's) though it seems the same as usual to me. All forums seem clicky when your a newbee, I always felt a bit of an outsider on HFC.

Best wishes m8 hope its not too serious (but suspect it is from previous conversations)

rsand, Nov 11, 2005
  4. Davewhit

Davewhit

stupid replies from people like you will do nothing to give a decent balance answer to my question

I could come down to your level and tell you to Beepety beep! but whats the point

Davewhit, Nov 11, 2005
  5. Davewhit

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I wish I knew...

I'll see what I can think of though.

There's not so much an inability to accept extreme points of view, but rather often there is a coming together of diametrically opposing points of view. Neither party will back down and more often than not the thread starts going around in circles and/or descending into insults, running up pages per minute. Usually there'll be two or three protagonists and a few people stood on the sidelines throwing the odd bit of fuel on the fire.

These threads then put people off, so they go elsewhere and comment upon it, and how the moderators don't do anything about them.

So, the moderators do something about them, and at times that will result in someone getting banned for their own behaviour. That's an unfortunate reality of forums.

At which point the banned parties go off to other forums and complain of over-zealous moderating and how "it's all meant in fun" when in fact it's quite unpleasant and is driving other people away.

So how on earth do we win if we're damned when we don't and damned when we do?

I-S, Nov 11, 2005
  6. Davewhit

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Dave

Not too sure about the clique, I just think that most of the recent posts have frightened off most people.

Shame really, this used to be a vibrant place, not now.

LiloLee, Nov 11, 2005
  7. Davewhit

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Hi Dave,

I hope you don't think we are all as rude as that. Been wondering the same thing to myself a bit, but tbh honest I just think its a sort natural cycle of the forums that all the forums I've ever been involved in go through from time to time. It'll probably pass.

Uncle Ants, Nov 11, 2005
  8. Davewhit

Tenson Moderator

It may sound snobbish or pretentious, but I think a large part of it is because most of the people here have tried and done it all. There is not a lot new happening in Hi-Fi really and as we don't have many new members people are getting very set in their beliefs of what makes a good system.

Tenson, Nov 11, 2005
  9. Davewhit

Davewhit

Its not helped when you ask a serious problem and someone tells you to expletive deleted :) good job I have broad shoulders

mind you if that type of post continues will be on to the mods myself I wonder if kitchen staff earn enough to cover legal costs if someone wanted an apology

people should watch how they talk to people no need to be rude

Davewhit, Nov 11, 2005
  10. Davewhit

Tenson Moderator

BTW Wally rules!

Tenson, Nov 11, 2005
  11. Davewhit

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I would say the older orginal memembers are NOW happy with the kit/sounds, and feel no need to post on most threads save music and HDD stuff.
    Even a few mirgrated to the 'Proper grown up forum too' :D PFM
    Also the old protangonists on cable debates

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2005
    wadia-miester, Nov 11, 2005
  12. Davewhit

zanash

We seem to have a few people....who can't accept or wont allow other people to have views that differ from the herd.

By the way if no one has appologised to you let me........Sorry!

personally i think the comment was uncalled for.

As for the disagreements .....well thats only natural.

We are still for the most part a broard church and are willing to listen and help, if we can.

zanash, Nov 11, 2005
  13. Davewhit

Davewhit

thanks for that Zanash very kind, anyone who knows me from other forums would be able to spot a flame troll from me a mile off.

Its a shame when any forum gets a bad press

Davewhit, Nov 11, 2005
  14. Davewhit

zanash

Actually its my pleasure.......

I'm trying to create an out break of bonhomme....and genral good will.

zanash, Nov 11, 2005
  15. Davewhit

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

rah rah zerogain!!

you know you all love it!

there is Tones with his songs that always make me laugh
    WM with his troll-speak that is the best writing style on the net
    zanash with his golden DIY recipies
    Bub with his belligerance and sometimes extreme funnyness
    Scidb with his bottomless music knowledge

I could go on!

Seriously, ZG started from nothing, and is now an institution.

Big Up the ZG massive!

bottleneck, Nov 11, 2005
  16. Davewhit

Saab

Wigwam isn't without its faults,the constant threads about Art have become a bit repetitive,like they did in here about Meadowlarks.

Saab, Nov 11, 2005
  17. Davewhit

Davewhit

Agree and them speakers :rolleyes: not my cup of tea

Davewhit, Nov 11, 2005
  18. Davewhit

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Dave sorry if I offended you. I fail to see how you could sue me or zerogain for me telling you to piss off, but there you go, might make a great story for theregister 'Bloke goes to prison for telling someone across the airwaves to piss off.'

However if you read the point I was trying to put over what do you hope to achieve here with your post?

If you can quantify why you are here, then I will apologise for telling you to piss off back over there. But as far as I can see you seem to be here for what exactly?

well I have my opinion but I would be interested to hear yours.

In the mean time those that frequent Zerogain, don't apologise to our Dave for how this forum operates, because we need to know what his point is.

BTW I never spoke to my lawyer, but do you know what, I don't really think there is a case to answer, however if you ask me real nice I might say sorry. Less of the bullying though eh?

garyi, Nov 11, 2005
  19. Davewhit

Neil

Why is ZG special - difficult to say - but it's the only forum I feel moved to post on. I lurk on one or 2 others and may yet post on PF. The mix of personalities / views and expertise make ZG the broad church of Hi-Fi forums.

Like most on-line communication posts are sometimes misinterpreted and, like your favourite pub, there are many regulars as well as 'passing traffic'. Despite the occasional need for modding almost all threads remain generally good natured although occasionally heated. I find it interesting, stimulating and with an edge of humour not found on some other forums. I'm a believer in "if you're not interested in a thread don't bother following it, much less posting on it"

Neil, Nov 11, 2005
  20. Davewhit

notaclue

Wny not give ZeroGain a makeover? It is very grey and quite gloomy. How about some colour?

notaclue, Nov 11, 2005
Ask a Question