What's the last record you listened to?

Discussion in 'General Music' started by sideshowbob, Jun 23, 2003.

1. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Trisha

Post the last thing you listened to, and some comments (this has been a long-running thread on the N**m forum, and is a good way of picking up on new things).

Me:

The New York Dolls, "The New York Dolls" (Mercury, 1973). Cross-dressing proto-punk with NY attitood. "Personality Crisis", "Looking For A Kiss", "Jet Boy". Absolute classics all of 'em. Pretty damned shocking at the time, one of the prototypes for the Sex Pistols 3 years later, I remember seeing the Dolls on the Old Grey Whistle Test playing "Jet Boy". Shook the buggers up no end, poor old Whispering Bob Harris didn't know where to put himself (although he did make rude comments about them, the daft fule). I play this and The Stooges every couple of months to brush the cobwebs off my brain. Works every time.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jun 23, 2003
  2. sideshowbob

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Edgar Froese 'Aqua' – 1974 solo LP from Tangerine Dream member. I found this lovely near mint first pressing in a bargain bin in Lancaster a week ago for 2 quid and its truly excellent. Its pure vintage analogue electronica and sounds surprisingly fresh, it would be very easy to mistake it for current output from Pete Namlook / Fax records etc. No beats, no real groove, just washes of sometimes quite discordant and in your face synth noise. Highly recommended to anyone with an interest in electronica or ambient music.

Tony.

TonyL, Jun 23, 2003
  3. sideshowbob

julian2002 Muper Soderator

the pet shop boys - disco. i've had this on vinyl for ages but i've no tt so i've not been able to listen. found it for a song in mvc a few weeks ago and it's been in the rotation since then.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jun 23, 2003
  4. sideshowbob

Joolsburger

The Gotan Projects album which, frankly, is the nuts.

Joolsburger, Jun 23, 2003
  5. sideshowbob

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

just finished "the british physcodelic trip vol 1" all very hippy trippy british physcodelia,now blasting out led zepplins first lp
    good old british rock at its finest

themadhippy, Jun 23, 2003
  6. sideshowbob

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Last thing was an a free cd i found on the tube on saturday. Was being given away with the evening standard. Sort of a Glasto sampler. Not bad for free :D

So far today i've had the following on......

Photek "Form and function". Jazzy DnB
    Photek "MOdus operandi". Not as good as I thought it was. A few decent tracks but not many that truly grab my attention.

Athlete "Vehices and animals". One of the few new "indie" guitar bands I've liked. So many of the othrs just seem too MOnotonous!

Aretha Franklin "30 greatest hits". Need I say anyMOre?

Def Jux Presents Volume 1. An album sampler with some good hip hop. Aesop rock, Canibal ox.... Really shit sound quality though!

Straight out the cat litter (scoop 3). Another album sampler with some excellent tunes on it! A good diverse mix, hip hop, electonic etc.... A few average tunes but in the MOst part quality stuff!

Currently hearing beeps coming from my computer as it keeps freezing on me! CAD seems to eat all my meMOry!

Next up is David Holmes "Bow down to the exit sign" Only listened to it once in passing so i'll have to say what I think of it after this........

MO!, Jun 23, 2003
  7. sideshowbob

space cadet Far out...

I've dug out an old favourite lp from '93 called Witch by ©, which is the somewhat silly recording name of a lady called Leslie Winer. LW was apparently a Vogue model who shacked up with William Burroughs and on the record she speaks huskily over some very groovy beats. The album features Jah Wobble and someone from Renegade Soundwave (anyone remember them?) and is really really great. I think it was re-issued on cd so you may stand a chance of finding it.
    Just looked it up on Amazon and you can get it with extra tracks. It looks liked she has ditched the copyright symbol as name (probably not deemed cool enough after Prince did a similar thing), and it's got a much worse cover, but I'm telling you it's an absolute classic!

space cadet, Jun 23, 2003
  8. sideshowbob

michaelab desafinado

Ditto - see here

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 23, 2003
  9. sideshowbob

michaelab desafinado

Also:

Koop, Waltz for Koop. See here

It's really been growing on me this one...

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 23, 2003
  10. sideshowbob

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I am currently listening to John Denver - Rocky Mountain Collection, its acually quite a good album and I don't consider myself a country music fun but I find it so damn relaxing. And leaving on a jet plane makes me want to cry because of all the memories.

amazingtrade, Jun 23, 2003
  11. sideshowbob

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Orbital Works 1989 - 2002

This has been on the car player for 3 days now and I think will be there for some time yet :)

Chris

technobear, Jun 24, 2003
  12. sideshowbob

Robert Edgar

King's X "Dogman"...rocking album

Robert

Robert Edgar, Jun 24, 2003
  13. sideshowbob

space cadet Far out...

Lush 3 is lovely... now try and download justalittlebitlush which is an Orbital vs. Liberty X bootleg!:eek:

space cadet, Jun 24, 2003
  14. sideshowbob

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

The Black Crowes - Live has been in heavy rotation here. Two CDs filled with material from the Lions album (which they were touring at the time) and greatest hits too. Highlights for me are Midnight From The Inside Out, Sting Me, Thick n Thin, Remedy and Hard To Handle. Was really glad they put this out, since it'd have been criminal for such a great band to not have a live album of their own material out.

The live CD from the tour with Jimmy Page is excellent too, all Led Zep songs and a couple of other covers, since they weren't allowed to play their own material due to contractual issues. Damn you Jimmy Page, getting back problems and having to cancel the UK dates in '99.

ilockyer, Jun 24, 2003
  15. sideshowbob

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Well, I listened to the first 30 minutes of B P Empire by Infected Mushroom on the way into work today, but the last complete "album" I listened to was my "Rockamandomonious" compilation for Glastonbury - as it got jitterfied and un-pratted on the transfer from MD to CDR... (Actually, amazed about the prat and sound coming off the MD last night - very pleased!).

Come on tomorrow - Ian - will text ya on the train to let you know where I am so you can find me at Taunton tonight dude :)

domfjbrown, Jun 24, 2003
  16. sideshowbob

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i'm on a posford tip today...
    so far.
    hallucinogen - twisted.
    hallucinogen - the lone derranger.

next up.
    shpongle - are you...
    shpongle - tales...
    celtic cross - hicksville.

gotta get hallucinogen in dub at some point...

nearly broke the chain when i remembered pwie (see 80's thread) but i'll probably do an 80's day tomorrow.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jun 24, 2003
  17. sideshowbob

Joolsburger

Thievery Corporation ...The Richest Man in Babaylon

Sat in the sun listening to that yesterday, excellent.

Joolsburger, Jun 24, 2003
  18. sideshowbob

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Urm, yeah, like, NOW. It's well worth it - I don't have any of the other stuff of theirs but that CD is excellent. Guess who I'll be seeing at the Glade Stage on Sunday :)

Shpongle are on at some point too - so must see!

domfjbrown, Jun 24, 2003
  19. sideshowbob

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I intend to do an "Introduction to what I like: Selected works A-Z"

I'm working my way through Arab Strap as I type :D

this could take some time and i'm not sure how to do it? split into genres? of just purely alphaMObetical?

MO!, Jun 24, 2003
  20. sideshowbob

michaelab desafinado

Currently listening to Layo & Bushwacka - Night Works. Have had it for a while but forgotten what an awesome CD it is!

One of the better dance records I've bought in recent times. See http://www.smokecds.com/cd/30677 for review.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 24, 2003
Ask a Question