What's the next big thing?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by merlin, Oct 15, 2003.

1. merlin

merlin

Serious question. Following on from my desire for Mana to make a turntable platform on a swing, like a hospital table,( to save getting up to change sides), I was wondering what the next big hifi must have might be.

After all, most good ideas come from wanting something and not being able to find it, so what does everyone wish they could buy to make they're hifi life better?

And anyone answering music should address their request to the multi nationals responsible for the current rash of prepubescent Stars In Their Eyes rejects infecting the charts these days.

All contributions welcome and open to ridicule

merlin, Oct 15, 2003
  2. merlin

penance Arrogant Cock

affordable mains regeneration.

have you heard the split atom theory, about hqaveing the 2 parts away from each other but if the state of one is altered then the other does aswell, even with great distance between. It is being looked into for use in hi-speed processing, negates the travel of electrons by useing the theory, changeing state to represent 1 or 0
    So maybe that could be used for digital audio, a cdp and amp useing the theory would not need any IC whatso ever. Probably a lot of bad points to the idea aswell

penance, Oct 15, 2003
  3. merlin

cookiemonster

cookiemonster, Oct 15, 2003
  4. merlin

voodoo OdD

I'd stick my neck out and say Digital Amps (Class T etc.). The manufacturing costs have dropped considerably and large multi-national firms are starting to produce them as mass market products (Sharp, Sony etc.). Given the energy savings they can provide, stable load handling and [generally] better sound quality then I can't see anybody shying away from them [naimites excluded ;)].

This coupled with high bandwidth digital interfaces (firewire etc.) will ensure that turntable owners will be having nighmares for years to come :MILD: .

voodoo, Oct 15, 2003
  5. merlin

merlin

Must admit Penance that I hadn't, but then I do feel that the splitting of the atom is a bit beyond the budding Russ Andrews and Max townsends of this world.

CM. Is that a ladyboy in that lazyboy by chance?

who fancies equipment racks with built in mains filtration and high grade sockets then?

merlin, Oct 15, 2003
  6. merlin

penance Arrogant Cock

i realise that, can you imagine RA's marketing campaign for that!

When the technology becomes more commonly available it may have implications in the audio area

penance, Oct 15, 2003
  7. merlin

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

I don't know what the answer is Micheal, but I'm sure you'll have bought and then sold it before we've even heard of it :D

LiloLee, Oct 15, 2003
  8. merlin

voodoo OdD

voodoo, Oct 15, 2003
  9. merlin

merlin

Lee it would be nice to think I had though of it and made it prior to you hearing of it:D How about sonically transparent pipes and slippers for Quad owners?

merlin, Oct 15, 2003
  10. merlin

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

:D Outstanding :cool:

wadia-miester, Oct 15, 2003
  11. merlin

penance Arrogant Cock

how about an injection for Naimee's that enables them to accept not everyone want what they have?

penance, Oct 15, 2003
  12. merlin

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

more time to play ,got loads of ideas scribbled down on bits of paper/fag packets(fag cad) ,but i aint even got the amplification finished yet:(

themadhippy, Oct 15, 2003
  13. merlin

technobear Ursine Audiophile

How about a digital standing wave correction system that gives you a perfect in-room bass response without destroying the integrity of the tune and costs less than say £1000.

Failing that, how about a reasonably priced audiophile grade tuneable notch filter.

technobear, Oct 15, 2003
  14. merlin

Paul Ranson

Stereo.

'Merlin' owning a hifi.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Oct 15, 2003
  15. merlin

You must have seen those perspex horn speakers at Heathrow. Shame they didn't sound as transparent as they looked.

LiloLee, Oct 15, 2003
  16. merlin

lowrider Live music is surround

Wireless quality kit... :beamup:

lowrider, Oct 15, 2003
  17. merlin

Goomer

Cheap and effective sine-wave converters so that we can all have cheap, environmentally friendly solar powered hifi which doesn't have problems with unwanted electrical noise getting into the amplification stage.

Oh, and for William Shatner to relaunch his music career....."Hey...., Mr Tambourine Man.......play a song for me".

Goomer, Oct 15, 2003
  18. merlin

Sgt Rock

WTF

[​IMG]

Who the hell would use an inflatable bondage chair, one up on your chair CM :)

Sgt Rock, Oct 15, 2003
  19. merlin

Matt F

How about hifi/av racks that look good to wives/girlfriends, protect your gear from kids, keep the kit cool, sound good but don't cost the earth.

A few ridiculous ideas:

Subwoofer's sunk into suspended floors (beneath a grate) - this would get 'round the "I'm not having a big black box in the lounge" argument (actually that reminds me of that joke about jumbo jets and peroxide blondes). However, you'd only have one chance to get the positioning right.

Skirting board with high quality speaker cable already running though it, ending with female banana sockets in the skirting behind each speaker. Could be very useful for rear speakers too.

On a more serious note - I still think there's a market for hifi stereo amps with 5.1 inputs and pre outs for the centre/rears/sub channels i.e. so that stereo fans can add DVD-A/SACD just by getting the player and adding a separate 3 channel power amp.

Matt.

Matt F, Oct 15, 2003
  20. merlin

Not that I know about this sort of thing :SWMBO: but I' sure it will be easier to clean up the mess :eek:

LiloLee, Oct 15, 2003
Ask a Question