What's up with my amp?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Gringo, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Gringo

Gringo

Hi everyone

I have had a Nad 319 amplifier for a few years now, it's been faultless up until a few months ago when it developed an annoying fault which causes the left hand channel to distort at random.

It doesn't happen all the time and can happen when the amp has been on for 5 mins or after several hours.

I've tried a friends working amplifier in it's place over a period of a few weeks and the issue doesn't happen at all so I can eliminate my other kit as the cause.

I'd ideally like to get this fixed but I took it back to the dealer I bought it from and they apparently spoke to Nad who said that it wasn't worth repairing. The salesman then quickly changed the subject and tried to sell me a replacement......

Any ideas or recommendations of

a) what is or could be causing this and
    b) if it is repairable, companies/people that could fix this for me or
    c) is it worth just cutting my losses and buying something else?

Many thanks

Glenn

Gringo, Nov 24, 2009
  2. Gringo

UK Duty Paid

You should speak to NAD yourself

Have you cleaned all the contacts? I had a surprise recently when I cleaned the inside of the phonos on my amp so then cleaned everything I could.

I'm not saying this is the solution merely a poosibility.

UK Duty Paid, Nov 24, 2009
  3. Gringo

spev

Definitely try cleaning all the pots and switches with switch cleaner as a first step.

spev, Nov 24, 2009
  4. Gringo

demandcurve

I had intermittant break-up of sound on my amplifier (not NAD), not sure if that is what you are describing... However, the manufacturer suspected cause was problem with the output relay. I returned the amp, they renewed a relay - the invoice doesn't specify which - and the amps been perfect ever since.

From memory the manufacturer's invoice was about £70: that's £4 for the relay, about £40 labour, and £30 return postage. On top of that was my postage of unit to them.

Tony

demandcurve, Nov 26, 2009
  5. Gringo

zanash

sounds like a cap thats died of old age

zanash, Nov 27, 2009
  6. Gringo

defride

John Caswell

UKDs Mr fix it, said to be very good. I've an amp with him at the mo though not long enough to vouch for him personally. I've only his mob so PM me for it if you think he might help. Hes based around Reading.

defride, Dec 15, 2009
Ask a Question