Whats wrong is it me or my HIFI?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Jan 20, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Just listening to some music (The Killers) and I can hear a lot of things I have never heared before, could this by my HIFI playing up (i.e working properly when normaly its not) or is likely to me? I have recently had a cold so maybe my ears were blocked or somthing.

Or it could be the last I heared this song I was in a club and even the best club sound systems can't match HIFI?

I am confused. I am listening to a ghost?

amazingtrade, Jan 20, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

ditton happy old soul

check to see whether your fridge has stopped working; that often improves things wonderfully ...

ditton, Jan 20, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

It could be dirty mains I guess, its on the same ring main as well. Also the tumble dryer and washing machine are always on which can't help.

4. amazingtrade

ditton happy old soul

apparently SilentPoints under the tumble drier reduces judder ..

But its that fridge that is on all the time, or rather goes on and off. I'm supposing that you've only got so many clothes.

ditton, Jan 20, 2005
  5. amazingtrade

My mum likes to wash everything so the washing is one four times a day, we replace washing machines like most people replace light bulbs. The problem is most mains filteration is very expensive. I suppose I could add a dedicated circuit but I am not really confident in doing this myself.

6. amazingtrade

zanash

Get a supression kit from Maplin and fit as close to the motor unit of the offending appliance.

zanash, Jan 21, 2005
  7. amazingtrade

ditton happy old soul

getting back to your original question: it sounds better, is it me or some external influence on the kit/sound?

* dirty mains is certainly one answer, especially the shared ring mains.

* another might be that something has now had enough burn in

* you could now be benefiting from the switch to early morning runs and porridge for breakfast, and who knows how important the listener is in all this

why not see whether you can hear the same extra stuff on your mate's kit?

or perhaps, as is the case with me I think, I am better at listening, which may or may not be a good thing.

ditton, Jan 21, 2005
  8. amazingtrade

Mightry that Zanish, all the stuff is at least 1 year old now so burn it shouldn't really be an issue, although I have been not been using it that much lately due to work.

I could try my mate kits but I only know one other person who has HIFI seperates, and he has a dual B&W 600 and Creative Labs 5.1 system connect to the same amp and they are playing at the same time :(. He also tries to use his two channel stereo amp for souround cinema duties, I don't think he has yet realised thast it isn't actually home cinema. If there was ever bastardisation of good kit his system is.

amazingtrade, Jan 21, 2005
  9. amazingtrade

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

It could well be the mains... have you thought about investing in/borrowing a Russ Andrews Silencer and seeing if that brings any merits? Either way, while it's sounding so excellent, get loads of tunes going!

ilockyer, Jan 21, 2005
  10. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

that sometimes happens to me - I can sit down and play some music but the system doesn't seem to sound as good as it did the day before...hmm....its a real shame that I'm beginning to listen to the system more than the music...:(

but one of the best tweaks for me is smoking a fat reliefer...the music sounds soo sweet....;)

mr cat, Jan 21, 2005
  11. amazingtrade

Philip King Enlightened User

Nice adive there mr Cat, although seeing as AT lives at home maybe not the best advice! :D

Philip King, Jan 21, 2005
  12. amazingtrade

mosfet

The sinuses are connected to the inner ear so this isn't as daft as it sounds. Close your mouth, pinch your nose and blow hard – see what happens.

On the subject of noisy washing machines and mains filters have a look at this thread. How does 50p for a mains filter sound?

http://forum.hifichoice.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=14453

Regards Dr.Mosfet :guiness:

mosfet, Jan 21, 2005
  13. amazingtrade

ditton happy old soul

good link. that also points to PC as a major source.

So, could it be that the hifi kit wa sounding better cos the PC in the room was switched off - and not being used for posting to zerogain?

ditton, Jan 21, 2005
  14. amazingtrade

ditton happy old soul

neighbouring thread has "I have been looking into room acoustics of late in quite significant detail.

There are many separate issues. The one that it seems you're contending with is "Slap echo". Two ways to deal with it are some sort of soft wall covering (rugs, acoustic foam, paintings, etc) or some sort of diffusion (purpose made diffusers, bookshelf with different size/depth books, etc). Absorbancy will make the room sound deader, while diffusion will maintain greater openness."

so perhaps improvement is something to do with (not) tidying your room, closing curtains, wearing that bobble hat ...

ditton, Jan 21, 2005
  15. amazingtrade

Its still sounding very good, the washing machine and fridge is currently on which perhaps rules out dirty mains although this could still problem.

The bass is really solid you can really feel the drum the beets and bass guitars. My amp has no tone controls either so its all real.

All this is making me realise why I spent so much on HIFI in the first place, I have not got so excited about sound quality since I first got into seperates as 16 year old in 1999.

16. amazingtrade

stumblin Kittens getting even...

While I agree that RA is profit mongering greedy bar steward (all IMO of course, and in no way reflects the opinion of Zerogain or it's founders and moderators ;) ), I think there is one main reason to purchase a £40 filter rather than make your own for 50p.

If your house burns down and in the remains the firemen find the remains of one of these and decides it was the most likely probable cause (even if it wasn't the cause) then you've not a hope in hell of claiming on your house insurance. Remember that no one cares how good you are with a soldering iron if you aren't a qualified and vertified electrician.

Hey, I know this is a worst case scenario, but if you don't think it could happen, why do you have house insurance? No smart arses saying because the bank requires it please.

£300k++ for your house + £50k for contents? Or £40 per mains filter....

Anyhoo, apologies for the thread hijack

stumblin, Jan 21, 2005
  17. amazingtrade

vertify
    ver·ti·fy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (vûrt-f)
    v. ver·ti·fied, ver·ti·fy·ing, ver·ti·fies
    v. tr.

1. to make upright
    2. to hopelessly misspell certified

stumblin, Jan 21, 2005
  18. amazingtrade

Thats true, but couldn't that apply to any of the wiring in the house? If the bathroom ever goes down I am f**k*d. A bucnh of spotty teenagers re-wired that and I was one of them :( Actually it meets all regulations apart from a about 3 inches of wire which goes to the fan, I suppose I should check the insultation and consider some trunking for it :) Although if the insulation breaks down won't it just blow the fuse before it sets fire?

19. amazingtrade

Yes it does apply to any wiring in your house that is obviously done by an uncertified electrician.

stumblin, Jan 21, 2005
  20. amazingtrade

I better put some trunking onto that then, it shouldn't be obvious that it was done by an unqualified person anyway. The chances of a fire are probably extremely rare, and we have house insurance to cover structial damage not just fires.

I think its all too easy to worry about these things, nearly every home as probably wiring that does not meet IEE regulations even though its probably perfectly safe.

Ask a Question