WhatSpeakers!... I wish.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lloydsj, Dec 17, 2003.

1. lloydsj

lloydsj

Right... Basicallly I need to pick your brains. I want some advice on what speakers to buy.

My requirements are:
    1) Sound excellent :D
    2) No more than about 200 quid'ish (The cheaper the better)
    3) Need to be bookshelf/stand mount speakers.
    4) I listen to a fairly wide range of music. Generally, easy listening stuff. I dont like heavy rock, or hard dance. Thats not to say I dislike all rock, and dance music though.

I have been recommended the Mordaunt Short 902's, but just wanted to hear your thoughts on these, and what other speakers are out there.

However, I have found the 902's for £109 through Comet which seems like a bargain. Plus richers say they will beat the price by £10, so I can get them for under 100 quid. ;) BUT with the new 902 AVANTS just coming out... are the AVANTS better? worth the extra cost?

Some others I have been looking at:
    ACOUSTIC ENERGY AEGIS EVO 1 (£160)
    B&W DM303 (£180), DM600 (£200)
    KEF CODA 70 (£160)
    Mission M50's (£170)
    TANNOY MERCURY MX2-M (£130), REVOLUTION R1 (£160)

... to name just a few. Any of those better than the 902's? much worse? rubbish? Any other better speaker recommendations???

The system they are going to be used with is...
    Sony MXD-D3 (CD / Minidisc unit)
    Marantz PM7200
    Cambridge Audio Arctic Interconnect

What speakers would be a good match for my system? and while I'm at it... can you recommend what speaker cable I should be looking at (i'm going to need 2 x 4.5 meter lengths).... SO cant afford top of the range stuff. Any bargains out there at the moment?

Cheers.
    :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2003
    lloydsj, Dec 17, 2003
  2. lloydsj

michaelab desafinado

Of the speakers you mentioned I only know the Tannoy MX2-m and IMO it's a cracker. I had a pair of MX2s (not the -M version) as my main speakers for quite a while. They're now doing rear surround duties but will shortly be moving to be the speakers for a second system in my office :)

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 17, 2003
  3. lloydsj

Tenson Moderator

Definatly check out Monit Audio, either S2 or S1 or something from the Bronz line.

Good Luck!

Tenson, Dec 17, 2003
  4. lloydsj

liamjf

Try and demo the Monitor Audio Bronze 2

liamjf, Dec 17, 2003
  5. lloydsj

Donut

Just to confuse things, I have tried both of the B&Ws listed and think that they would suit what you are looking for. In comparison I was dissappointed with the AEs - not that they were bad, far from it but I don't think they particularly suit "budget" hi-fi whereas the B&Ws are quite forgiving - if thats the right word.
    Depending on space you should be able to get some B&W 602 s3 secondhand for less than £200 - now these I like.

Donut

Donut, Dec 17, 2003
  6. lloydsj

lloydsj

CHeers for all the ideas so far.

Out of the speakers you have/are comparing... can you try and give me an idea whether you think one set are better than others. e.g. are the B&W better than the 902's? etc.

Donut: The B&W 602 s3 are on hyperfi for 200 quid brand new. I'll have a look, cheers.

lloydsj, Dec 17, 2003
  7. lloydsj

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Be warned now. Its very rare for Hyperfi to have anything they advertise in stock. (allegedly of course :) )

davidcotton, Dec 17, 2003
  8. lloydsj

MO! MOnkey`ead!

£200 S/H could get you a pair of Mission 780. Or something of similar new price (£300). The 780 would suit your tastes, with a good mid and treble, but not having that extra low end ideal for hard hitting dance or rock. When I listen to *easier* stuff, they impress but I would like MOre low end :rolleyes: Not saying they're cr@p at the bass, just not ideal for when you want it chest pounding.

Saying that, they'd perhaps be a little too much for your kit. They seem to benefit from being used in MOre demanding set ups. But at least they'd survive and upgrades :D

A set of Dyn 42s recently went for £200 (i think) s/h on here recently! Absolute bargain! I'm sure you'll agree Mike ;) . But again these would probably be too demanding for your kit. Just and idea of what s/h buying can get you though!

No one seems to have made the obvious comment of "use your own ears and decide what's best for YOU". With all budgets of kit this is advisable. Pref with a home deMO! It will be YOU who has to live with them. Your tastes, no one elses! Use what you get here as a guideline only. An audition list. Don't rule out any of those mentioned so far, and try and audition as many as you can with your kit, and your choice of music.

Obviously this isn't as easy with s/h buys. But at least if you buy s/h you can always sell them on if they don't suit!

Also, what size room are we talking? And, you say "bookshelf/stand MOunt". Do you have stands already? Or are you planning on putting them on a shelf? You should idealy have them on a good set of stands. If you've not got any yet, you should get some soon after. I wouldn't get them yet as it would obviously eat into your budget again. But do make a point of getting some asap!

So, if they're going on a shelf, this will also mean you'll be better off with a front ported design. Same applies if you will need them very close to a rear wall.

The Wharfdale DiaMOnds (8.1 and 8.2) should fit your budget well, and are by all acounts (I've only had a brief shop floor deMO), are great for the MOney! Front ported too!

I'd try and audition as many as possible and go from there.

As for speaker cables, again s/h is a good idea. Or if your DIY skills are up to it, some DIY cables could be just for you! Have a nose through the DIY forum on here, (remember the "search" option's there if you need it ;) ). You'll get plenty of help if you should choose to try some DIY ones, and should be able to knock something up relatively cheap. If you don't feel up to DIY, and not interested in s/h buying, RS stock the Gale cable which is saie to be great for the MOney. I've heard it, couldn't tell you if it was good or bad though as it's the only cable i've heard installed in the particular system. :D

Good luck and let us know how you get on :D

MO

MO!, Dec 18, 2003
  9. lloydsj

michaelab desafinado

Indeed ;) A post on the buy/sell feedback thread will be made shortly.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 18, 2003
  10. lloydsj

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Got a pair of 780's and would say thats a fair assesment. The Bass is the one area that I think they are lacking that little bit of magic to take them to the next level.

davidcotton, Dec 18, 2003
  11. lloydsj

Lt Cdr Data om

well only obvious one missing from the list is the wharfdale 8.1s, not heard them myself, but verbal diarrhoea guy, and yes I have spelled it correct!, Ken Kessler said they sounded like a giant pair of apogees or something, he may have been being facetious, but worth a look at this price...

Lt Cdr Data, Dec 18, 2003
  12. lloydsj

MO! MOnkey`ead!

you missed this then.....

:D

MO!, Dec 18, 2003
  13. lloydsj

thommo

Beware the Comet. They occasionally advertise very good, almost unbelievable prices on speakers, and then you realise that they're not advertised as "a pair".

I second listening to the Tannoys, the MA Bronze B2 and the Diamonds 8.1

thommo, Dec 19, 2003
  14. lloydsj

Gambit Junior Vice President

JM Labs Chorus 705s, very good for £200.

Gambit, Dec 19, 2003
  15. lloydsj

MO! MOnkey`ead!

16. lloydsj

lloydsj

I just bought them. MS902's £109 for the pair, at Comet. A bargain.

:D

lloydsj, Jan 2, 2004
  17. lloydsj

Heavymental

Can you let us know how these speakers sound with your amp.
    Cheers
    HM

Heavymental, Jan 2, 2004
  18. lloydsj

thommo

small guilty admission here, lloydsj.

So did I.

I never edited my post though.

Good, aren't they?

thommo, Jan 2, 2004
  19. lloydsj

juboy

How about the Epos ELS 3's? Under £200 and a great little pair of speakers.

juboy, Jan 5, 2004
Ask a Question