When's the best time to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Alex S, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Alex S

Alex S User

Presumably when you've got some money (although many of my upgrades have put money in my pocket).

When you're happy with the system but want to be even more happy?

or

When you're really pissed off with it?

I've made good moves and bad moves feeling either.

Alex S, Dec 22, 2003
  2. Alex S

Tom Alves

Every year when you've got the money

Tom Alves, Dec 22, 2003
  3. Alex S

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Alex, I feel when your favourite audio company is giving you 'special dispensation' on the purchase of a new CDP + PSU, then maybe time for a change eh? :D Wm

wadia-miester, Dec 22, 2003
  4. Alex S

Paul Duerden

Only when some aspect of the systems perfomance is annoying you to the point where it is impairing your musical enjoyment.

Tip, some budget systems seem to ba able to communicate the music so well that you just don't care about a few cosmetic imperfections. Very few high end rigs appear to have this attribute.

Many a music lover has become a sad Hi Fi casualty by "ugrading" their system.

Paul Duerden, Dec 22, 2003
  5. Alex S

Robbo

I think the most important thing when upgrading is knowing what you want to achieve. If you know what you are aiming for its easier to buy products that you know will make an improvement in the areas you want. If you are just buying something because you have read the review or heard that is it better, then it is a recipe for dissatisfaction.

Oh, and when you have got where you want to be, then stop!

Robbo, Dec 22, 2003
  6. Alex S

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I'd have to say that if your happy with your systems performance, I wouldnt upgrade for upgradings sake. Buy some music instead, although I admit its damn tempting to buy new toys for the sake of it ;)

I am having the same dilemma at the minute. I have found that my expensive Sony headphones arent for me, but I really like my cheap Beyers, I am tempted to go for the Sennheiser HD650, but then I wonder if I should because I like the Beyers so much.

Decisions decisions. New toys... mmmmmm.... :JOEL:

PBirkett, Dec 22, 2003
  7. Alex S

ReJoyce ... Jason Hector that is.

I think you tend to make better upgrades when you are happy with the sound. Upgrading when you aren't happy runs the risk of addressing a problem that is outside the system itself so you are trying to fix a problem with the wrong tool.

The question to ask is "why am I unhappy with this system when I was happy with it a few weeks/months back?" Solve that problem (often caused mains or a subtle room change) and then consider the boxes. This of course assumes you haven't bought something you weren't happy with in the first place!

Cheers

Jason

ReJoyce, Dec 22, 2003
Ask a Question