Where Should My Money Go?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jimmymcfarrell, Mar 5, 2004.

1. jimmymcfarrell

jimmymcfarrell Anyone fancy a pint?

My System:

RegaP3 + Project PhonoBoxSE,
    Pioneer PD9700 CDP (from '91) with screened mains lead
    Acoustic Energy AE120 speakers triwired with
    QED Silver Anniversary Cable
    TAG McLaren Audio 60i Integrated Amp or
    A&R A60 (from '87)
    +random cheap interconnects

Having just recently upgraded to the Rega and bought both the TAG and A&R amps I have a dilema of what to upgrade next. My first though is the CDP, however a TAG 60p or 100p Power Amp also sounds appealing! If I was to buy a power amp would better speakers be a good idea? The other problem is I find myself liking the sound of the A&R more than that of the TAG, meaning I could sell the TAG and spend the money elsewhere on my system. This is probably a stupid idea, would a £400 CDP and AE120s be too good for the A60, and would I be making a mistake in the long run?
    Someone tell me where to go from here...?

Cheers

jimmymcfarrell, Mar 5, 2004
  2. jimmymcfarrell

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

in my bank acocunt :D

amazingtrade, Mar 5, 2004
  3. jimmymcfarrell

cookiemonster

erm, nothing?

Are you after a certain 'sound' from your system, so as to maximise the enjoyment factor from your music collection? Or do you just want a new toy? If the former, then this seems to be a queer way of going about it, and if the latter, then why dress it up as an intelligent 'upgrade'. Instead just buy something nice and glitzy within this months budget, or at least conceal this impulse with depressing tales about not being able to listen to cd's again because they currently sound so awful due to lack of 'air' or something?

Apologies for being a bore.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2004
    cookiemonster, Mar 5, 2004
  4. jimmymcfarrell

voodoo OdD

Keep your money, enjoy what you have and wait/save for a better source when you find one that catches your eye/ears.

I don't think you'd have much of an upgrade if you bought a new, £400 CDP. Your Tag and AE's will not be out-of-place with a £1,000 CDP (or £600/£700 s/h).

Enjoy what you've got and wait for the bug to bite when you have something to stick your teeth into :).

And keep an eye on the s/h market for some bargains ;) .

voodoo, Mar 5, 2004
  5. jimmymcfarrell

titian

dito

titian, Mar 5, 2004
  6. jimmymcfarrell

Goomer

FWIW, I concur with the comments made advising against what sounds like an unnecessary upgrade, and I would also add that I don't think it's stupid to partner a £400 cd player and your AE speakers with the A60. It's considered a classic for good reason, I reckon, and just because it's older and cheaper than the TAG doesn't mean that it has to be inferior. Go with the ears, IMHO, and spend any spare cash you have on more music, if it must be spent at all.

Goomer.

Goomer, Mar 5, 2004
  7. jimmymcfarrell

Good point. It's nice to be able to choose between 2 amps, so even if the A60 sounds better I think I should still keep the Tag.
    The trouble with the TAG is its protection keeps coming in. I've got quite a big room, and it seems to run out of breath when running loud. The A60 achieves the same vol levels with no fuss at all, even though it is supposedly less powerful! (The lack of power is only noticeable as a lack of bass weight when running loud with demanding dance music).
    This is where the idea of getting the power amp came from, or getting rid of the TAG and "putting up" with the A60. Its a late model (an A60x for anyone as sadly fanatical about these brilliant old amps as me), with the internal component upgrades and a CD input, and I'm really surprised at how good it sounds.
    As I'd like to keep both so I can choose between them depending on my mood / choice of music, the obvious next thing to buy was a matching Tag power amp, to a. make everything sound better, and b. to allow better volume levels to be sustained. If i was to do this I was worried that my amps would be far better than my speakers. The AEs are good at reproducing bass weight, and have a great presence in my room, however the lack of treble (obvious when compared to a pair of ARC speakers Ive got on another system) is a bit annoying, and if I bought a power amp it would be a nice excuse for an upgrade in this department as well.
    My other thought is as everyone suggests, not to bother, but just to buy more music (or a record cleaning machine for that matter), or perhaps invest in some decent cables...???

jimmymcfarrell, Mar 5, 2004
  8. jimmymcfarrell

sideshowbob Trisha

If you really want to spend money, you can get a brand-new Rega P25 for £399 from Moorgate (http://www.moorgate.demon.co.uk) - they're selling off the current stock to make way for the new models.

That'd be a better upgrade than a £400 CDP or change of amp, IMO. It's a much better deck than a P3 (good for the money as that is).

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Mar 5, 2004
  9. jimmymcfarrell

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Id be looking at selling both amps. (whats the point in having 2?!) in favour of 1 better integrated...(second hand of course dear chap)...

failing that, Id sell the TAG and buy some albums with the cash :)

or maybe use the money from the TAG+P3 = P25? (or similar?)

upgrades ahoy!

bottleneck, Mar 5, 2004
  10. jimmymcfarrell

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Iwould look at getting a better front end. If you are selling a amp & the P3 you could get a P25 upwards. A Nottingham Analogue, Roksan, LP12 etc etc.

Also go out & buy loads of vinyl.

SCIDB

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2004
    SCIDB, Mar 5, 2004
  11. jimmymcfarrell

Wish I'd known that 2 months ago when I bought the P3!

If I sold the Tag and kept the A60 my ears would be pleased but it would feel like a downgrade. However I dont want to get rid of the A60 as it sounds too good. Yes it is stupid having two amps, but I can use one in another room or something...
    I also dont want to get rid of my P3, yes a P25 would be nice, and I probably could afford it, but I cant be bothered with the hassle of selling the P3 on Ebay etc.

It basically looks like I'm saving for something new which will make a difference to the kit I've got at the moment. I've decided what Im trying to achieve; anything new has to make my system have crisper treble, as it sounds quite closed in at the moment. My thinking is that this must be down to the speakers or to a lesser extent the cable I am using. A £30 QED interconnect between CDP and amp didn't make a huge difference, and I cant justify spending much more than this on interconnects, until everything else is as good as I can get it.
    Therefore it looks like I to invest in a pair of speakers with a more revealing treble.
    Any ideas with regards to speakers that will go with the Tag, sound more "trebley" but not be too demanding if I choose to use the A&R.

Cheers

jimmymcfarrell, Mar 8, 2004
Ask a Question