Where to find 2nd hand tt's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tebbs, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Tebbs

Tebbs

having just seen ebay price of something I wanted rocket unneccesarily where should I find 2nd hand turntables? any good sites or papers etc?

Tebbs, Mar 29, 2004
  2. Tebbs

BL21DE3 aka 'Lucky'

Tebbs, here are a few of the links that I keep handy for 2nd hand/ex-dem audio equipment.

http://www.noteworthyaudio.co.uk/Offers.html

http://www.xdem.co.uk/

http://www.emporiumhifi.com/

Plus you should check out hifi retailers like Sevenoaks and Audio-T who often list ex-dem/2nd hand/end of line offers on their websites.

http://www.sevenoakshifi.co.uk/stockclearance/stockclearance.html

http://www.audio-t.co.uk/html/offers.html

Hope this helps.

BL21DE3

P.S I know this list is far from exhaustive so I too would be interested in any other good sources of 2nd hand/ex-dem equipment.

BL21DE3, Mar 29, 2004
  3. Tebbs

dominicT former member

Walrus in central London (020 7724 7224) www.walrus.co.uk is always a good bet for new and second hand turntables as well as other valve and exotic stuff. In my experience they know more about T/Ts than eanyoine else that I have dealt with (and probably have more T/Ts on demo than anyone else). You can also try Choice Hifi in East Sheen London, sorry do not have telephone number to hand.)

Dominic

dominicT, Mar 30, 2004
  4. Tebbs

Lord .

Lord, Mar 30, 2004
  5. Tebbs

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I always used to buy through Loot. I haven't bought anything for a while though. You may have to pay for the Loot 'Early Bird' service.

7_V, Mar 30, 2004
  6. Tebbs

Tebbs

thanks fellas, you're all brilliant.

Tebbs, Mar 30, 2004
  7. Tebbs

Mind you ...

2nd hand turntables, you say.

What sort of TT are you looking for ? Maybe the Del Boy of Zero Gain can help you on this one. ;)

Seriously, I do have some good TTs.

7_V, Mar 30, 2004
  8. Tebbs

Tebbs

you do? ooooooh, not only a coachbuilder of sexy speakers but a turntable man too. Groovy!

I was thinking about maybe a dual cs 505 (cause although sound aint so great as others I kinda like the lazyness of being able to fall asleep to a record :eek: )
    Was also thinking about a thorens td150/160 or something of that ilk that you'd recommend.
    What've you got and how far is surrey from devon?!
    If possible could you post one?

Tebbs, Mar 30, 2004
  9. Tebbs

You want to buy a DUAL? :NADowner: :NADowner: :NADowner:

Seriously though, I don't have one.

I've got some TD150s, TD160s, TD125s, AR thingies, Rega Planar 2s, Rega Planar 3s, Moth Alamo, Systemdek IIX.

Anything you fancy?

While I was designing my speakers I thought I'd do some buying and selling of classic hi-fi to make a bit of money while I was waiting for bits to come back from the sub-contractors.

Big mistake! :student: :banghead:

Surrey is bloody miles from Devon (but you're welcome to visit). I could certainly post it.

Don't worry about falling asleep. I don't think it does much harm. :zzzz:

7_V, Mar 30, 2004
  10. Tebbs

Tebbs

well if it does no harm then I shant fret and will ignore all semi and autos from now till eternity.
    What kinda price and condition are the regas in and the thorens? Whats a moth alamo? likewise the systemdek IIX
    I'd like to spend a bit less than a ton but can stretch possibly (bday coming up, hoping for at least a fiver :rolleyes: ) will have to get myself a phonostage aswell so dont wanna go too crazy, wanna buy myself some more music at some stage :D

Tebbs, Mar 30, 2004
  11. Tebbs

Give me a couple of days to have a look and a think and I'll get back to you. Do you have a cartridge lying about or do you need one?

7_V, Mar 30, 2004
  12. Tebbs

Tebbs

need one im afraid. First step into vinyl except messing with a midi system and some old 40-50's Hacker relic with built in radio and amp of my dads.

Tebbs, Mar 30, 2004
  13. Tebbs

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Hi tebbs.

I was recently looking for a TT for under a ton too https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3475

I should be taking delivery of a Pro Ject Debut II Phono toMOrow :) £65 (+£10 p+p).

The standard debut can be had new for a little over £100, and you should be able to pick up a reasonable phono stage for well under £50.

I was also in contact with a guy selling a standard debut II for £65. I'll try and dig out his details for you if steve can't sort something out (and assuming nothing goes wrong with the one I've already bought ;) ).

MO!, Mar 31, 2004
  14. Tebbs

Heavymental

Spinning in the last groove all night does no harm? I'd always been a bit worried about that. Although I have a autostop it sometimes doesn't work. Does it not wear the needle?

Heavymental, Mar 31, 2004
  15. Tebbs

My statement was "Don't worry about falling asleep. I don't think it does much harm."

The stylus tip is made of diamond, which is as everyone knows, a very hard material. There is a set time for how many hours a stylus can do before it needs replacing but this would vary depending on the tracking force and particular cartridge. The centre groove of the LP would get worn first but if the tracking force is quite light ...

Also, who mentioned all night? I was thinking of a couple of hour snooze. I suppose the occasional night wouldn't kill it. These things are tougher than many people suppose. Think of a modern DJ.

7_V, Mar 31, 2004
  16. Tebbs

Heavymental

I tend to listen to alot of my music while drifting off to sleep at night and a couple of times I've woken up in the morning pissed off cus my autostop hasn't worked. I got the impression thats what Tebbs was on about. Sure it doesn't do much harm.....i just get annoyed that i'm losing 8 hours of cartridge lifespan on silence. Then again those centre grooves must be pretty smooth so its pretty minimal.

Heavymental, Mar 31, 2004
  17. Tebbs

Tebbs

any news yet Del boy?!

Tebbs, Apr 2, 2004
  18. Tebbs

Del Boy has picked up some dodgy kit and is showing it off at the Heathrow High Fidelity Show this weekend.

Back at the lock-up on Monday.

Sorry for the delay.

7_V, Apr 3, 2004
  19. Tebbs

Tebbs

Hope the dodgy gear was shifted, if not I hear the peckham echo has a section dedicated to the shifting of the aforementioned!

ps Any luck finding tt's in't' lockup?

Tebbs, Apr 7, 2004
  20. Tebbs

Tebbs, I've had a quick snoop around and suggest the following TTs, which might suit your budget:

Thorens TD160 with Thorens arm - £60
    Revolver with Revolver arm - £80
    Rega Planar 2 with RB250 arm - £100

I reckon that postage will be £15 tops.

All the TTs are in good condition and I would make sure that they work satisfactorily (good bearings, etc.).

I haven't mentioned cartridges because, even if they're included, I couldn't vouch for their condition. So don't count on the cartridge working (if it's included).

The TD160 is great, particularly if you're into tweaking. There are some web sites that tell you how to get the best out of them.

The Rega Planar 2 is also a good deck with various mods available, particularly for the RB250 arm.

The Revolver is an underated deck with a clever method of isolation. It's not suspended but sort of half-way between a suspended deck and a rigid deck.

I think that you could happily fall asleep listening to any one of these. :)

7_V, Apr 7, 2004
Ask a Question