Where to next???

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lloydsj, Mar 19, 2004.

1. lloydsj

lloydsj

Hi,

Basically I want advice on how best to progress my system next. I'm new to hifi and don't really know what area is going to give me the biggest improvement... ideally for the least cost.

My setup at present is:-
    This is what I have been thinking:-
    • Maybe sell the Sony and purchase a Marantz CD5400 (or the CD5400 OSE ). Is the OSE worth the extra 40 quid?
      Maybe my interconnects are poor? and I should get some better ones like the Cambridge Audio Pacific (or similar)? but is it going to give me much of an improvement?
      Maybe I should look at replacing my speakers? (I have been looking at the B&W 602 S3's)
      OR maybe I should look at adding a sub? how much would it cost for a reasonable one?
    The reason for these thoughts is because I no-longer use minidisc so my Sony is only being used for the CD deck. The MD drive on it is totally redundant nowadays. ALSO I have got some Seinheisser PX200 headphones which I use with my Discman, and the detail on these is far superior to what I can hear through my hifi. There are things I just cant hear at all on my hifi that are obvious on the headphones. Some of the deep bass just doesn't even seem to be there on my hifi? also when people sing for example, it sounds that bit sweeter on my headphones. What is the likely cause for this? and how can I remedy it?

Any help is appreciated.
    Stu
    :confused:

lloydsj, Mar 19, 2004
  2. lloydsj

lloydsj

Is changing my source to a marantz cd5400 or Marantz CD6000ose or better going to give me much of an improvement over the sony?

is my sony mxd-d3 any good as a source?

lloydsj, Mar 21, 2004
  3. lloydsj

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Hi lloyd.

Without having heard it, the source would appear to be the obvious weak link.

Don't expect huge changes, though it's possible, but I'd try and get a home deMO and try them for yourself.

I was going to suggest an off board DAC as an option. That have been used for both the CD and MD playback. But having given your link a quick look through I see that Sony has no digital out. :rolleyes:

Would you consider buying used or second hand?

The marantz are good spinners for the MOney. Try and get a deMO.

MO!, Mar 21, 2004
  4. lloydsj

lloydsj

OK, Im going to sell the Sony, and get a new CD player.

I'm looking at the Marantz CD6000 OSE LE (£140) and the Marantz CD7300 (£240). Which should I go for? Is the CD7300 worth the extra 100 quid? or would I just be spending 100 quid for virtually no gain.

Has anyone compared these 2 CD players before?

Are there any other CD Players I should be looking at? (max budget £250)

Thanks,
    Stu.
    :confused:

lloydsj, Mar 24, 2004
  5. lloydsj

GPC

Hi ,

I have the marantz cd6000 ose le. For 140 it is well worth the money. I have had mine for a couple of years ( running through a nadc350 amp)and have been over the moon with it. I have heard mates systems ( dennon ) and they just dont seem to cut it against the marantz.

The sound is detailed and fairly punchy. Crisp clear and sublime.
    Voices sound great.

Sometimes, if there are a lot of intruments playing as in an orchestra, and you really crank it up you do lose a little of the crispness and the sound can become a bit jumbled but this is only noticable if you are looking for it.

Whether the other marantz is worth the extra i cannot say but if i were you i would go for the cd600 ose and spend the rest on favourite music.

for 140 quid you wont go far wrong

Gpc

GPC, Mar 24, 2004
  6. lloydsj

lloydsj

Have you had any problems playing CDR's and CDRW's? I read somewhere that this player has problems with these, and I've got a fair few CD's on CDR and CDRW that I will want to use.

Anyone else compared the CD6000 OSE LE or the CD7300?

Cheers,
    Stu.
    :JPS:

lloydsj, Mar 24, 2004
  7. lloydsj

Goomer

I'm not absolutely certain about this, so please, anyone, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 7300 is the replacement model for the 6000, so I would say they are likely to be very similar sounding.

FWIW, the 6000 OSE LE was a 'best buy' in Hifi Choice at a rrp of £300.00, until the 7300 came along as it's replacement. I'm guessing, then, that the extra £100 would be better spent on music.

Hope that's of use,

Goomer.

Goomer, Mar 24, 2004
  8. lloydsj

GPC

"Have you had any problems playing CDR's and CDRW's? I read somewhere that this player has problems with these, and I've got a fair few CD's on CDR and CDRW that I will want to use."

Nope. All cds play absolutely fine. It really is a great machine. Would love to have a listen to the KI version but that was outta my budget at the time.

For 140 quid i would by 2. lol One for the lounge and one for........well anywhere really.

it cracks me up the way these hifi companies produce a model, hype it up as the best thing ever, then 6 months later produce the next best thing ever with an improvement over the last best thing ever!!!
    And slap on an extra 200 quid for moving a button 1 inch to the left!!!!!

Gpc

GPC, Mar 24, 2004
  9. lloydsj

MO! MOnkey`ead!

My girlfrined uses a 6000 ose and has had no problems with CDRs. Not sure about RW though.

MO!, Mar 25, 2004
  10. lloydsj

Rory satisfied

sometimes the cd6000osele we have at work is a bit weird with some cdrs, but then so is my own cd player...

the cd7300 does mp3 discs but other than that, just a mild reworking of the cd6000. go for it for £140. cracking little player :)

Rory, Mar 27, 2004
Ask a Question