Where's the body gone?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by thrudge, Sep 1, 2006.

1. thrudge

thrudge

First off, a thank you to all those who advised me when I posted recently - I wanted to know if a Border Patrol power supply would give my Art Audio Quintet some grunt and energy on rock and pop. The consensus was 'yes'. I bought the BP, and the consensus was right :D

However :rolleyes: .....the sound now lacks what, for want of a better term, I'll call 'body'. It's not as full as I'd like in the mid, so it sounds sort of hollow, if that makes sense.

This is a long-shot, because I don't know if my description is really meaningful to anyone who hasn't heard the setup, but would anyone have any ideas how I can get back this 'body'? Won't somebody help me find my body?

thrudge, Sep 1, 2006
  2. thrudge

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Tried readjusting speaker position?

davidcotton, Sep 1, 2006
  3. thrudge

Tenson Moderator

Are you sure its not just faster and more controlled? Maybe it just needs some getting used to?

Tenson, Sep 1, 2006
  4. thrudge

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

klipsch website says the la scala's go to 53hz.

Sounds about right.

do you have the budget for a decent sub?

bottleneck, Sep 1, 2006
  5. thrudge

thrudge

Changing speaker position: nope, not tried it yet, but it is on the agenda.

Is it faster and more controlled? Yeah.....:D But I don't think it's a case of 'just' faster and more controlled - there is definitely some warmth and oomph missing in the mid. You're right, Tenson, it is taking some getting used to, and although I like it a LOT, I'm still pining for that full-bodied thing the un-modded Quintet did. If I could get that back without compromising the drive, energy, and wonderful clarity I've got now, I'd be a very happy chappy. Perfection is out there, and I'm gaining on it :JPS:

Subwoofers - I have no experience here, but bass is plentiful for my tastes. I understand that subs can have effects further up the frequency range, but I don't think my problem lies in the bottom end. Also, I'd struggle to accomodate a sub, even at one cubic foot. I jest not.

However....I think Bottleneck may have hit on something with his mention of my La Scalas (big 3-way horns, for those who don't know). I've often read that horns 'shout'. Mine never have until I got the BP. Which makes me wonder - am I now hearing the famous horn shout? They certainly could be described as rather shouty now, and they weren't before the BP.

Having heard a pair of Living Voice Auditoriums recently and being thoroughly impressed, I'm very tempted to try a pair of those and see if I get my body back (body back? I'm starting to sound like a ghost...). I should have an opportunity to borrow a set in the coming months. In the meantime, any further comments or suggestions will be gratefully received. Cheers for all the feedback so far, chaps.

thrudge, Sep 2, 2006
  6. thrudge

Stuart

Thrudge,

IME, the horn shout is simply an uneven freq. response. Klipsch appear to have designed their 'speakers for max. sensitivity & efficiency at the expense of linear freq. response.

I use a pair of the Heresy II. These were particularly uneven through the mid-range which gave the impression of a thin & shouty reproduction (Interestingly, this wasn't too evident in the old house). Bringing the Behringer DEQ 24/96 into the system has allowed me to sort this out and dramatically transform the sound for the better.

The DEQ may well be worth trying out in your system to fine tune the response to your taste.

Stuart.

Stuart, Sep 3, 2006
  7. thrudge

Tertonmike

Look in the library....

....and get the butler to account for his whereabouts on the night in question!

Tertonmike, Sep 3, 2006
  8. thrudge

thrudge

The body is back! :D

It seems my Klipsch La Scalas are very sensitive to position. I had them toed in quite sharply. After lots of mauling about into one position after another, it seems the best place for them is a couple of inches further apart than they were and firing straight down the room. It looks horribly wrong, but it sounds great. My setup now sounds way better than it ever has - energy, warmth, body, soundstaging, scale - yeehah! :JPS:

Thanks for all the advice, gentlemen, it was much appreciated.

thrudge, Sep 6, 2006
Ask a Question