Whest DAP.10, factory modded for double mono

Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by monty99, Jun 10, 2009.

1. monty99

monty99

Selling my super-factory-modded Whest DAP.10. This is not a DAC, but an 'audio signal processor'. This amazing device works magic on CD players of any level (from budget to seriously high-end) - removing digital-ness, letting through more detail, tightening bass, improving soundstage, and generally working miracles.

Read here for info:

Stereophile http://www.whestaudio.co.uk/prd_downloads/SamsSpaceDAP10.pdf
    Hifi World http://www.whestaudio.co.uk/prd_downloads/WhestDAP10.pdf

It functions in the ultrasonic range, and purports to clean up 'jitter' in the analog domain (post digital to audio conversion), removing phase shifts in the high ultrasonic that are said to 'beat' at audible frequencies and cause some of the unease often felt with digital.

The approach is not without controversy but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. I had one of these before, this is my second one which I picked up shortly after selling the previous one, it has mods to the power supply to make it fully double mono, effectively the same as the high-end Whest phono stages, which it resembles in its focus on above-20khz frequencies. (I have a Whest PS20/MU20, btw). This took its new price from the normal £900 to around £1250.

It's not made by Whest any more and this modded version is unique. It's my view that these will become collectors items in future years. My earlier one transformed both my Sugden Masterclass and Musical Fidelity Nuvista 3D CD. It made a bit less of an impact on my Chord DAC64 (which has some very, very fancy buffers and filters and a design focus on ultrasonic handling anyway). The modded Whest sale made two unfiltered, non-OS Dacs (47 labs Shigaraki and Valab) sound just stunning, maintaining their character but also removing a veil over the higher frequencies, adding almost vinyl-like liquidity and transparency to what were already pretty good sources. If you use non-OS, this might well just be the final piece in the puzzle for you.

This is the secret of what it does - it doesn't change the character of a CD player but gives you more of what you've got - more space, clearer soundstage, more insight into detail.

Anyway I'm pondering selling to further a vinyl project (mono TT) that I need funds to finish. Looking for £410 shipped which is less than a third of the new price.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2010
    monty99, Jun 10, 2009
  2. monty99

dandy

Whest

PM Sent

dandy, Jun 10, 2009
  3. monty99

monty99

PM responded to with information requested

monty99, Jun 10, 2009
  4. monty99