Which Amp for Living Voice IBX-R2s?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by FrankDeckard, Jun 30, 2008.

1. FrankDeckard

FrankDeckard

Hi,

I am about to pull the trigger on a purchase of LV IBX-R2s from Definitive (Lynn has been great) and I wanted to get some feedback from LV owners...

I want to stick with tubes, but am unsure if my choices will work well with the IBX-R2s. No, I am not going to be using Kondo amplification.
    :)

I am considering the following with my associated equipment:

Shindo Labs Cortese F2A/Shindo Auriges with MM
    Audiomat Opera II reference integrated
    Border Patrol 300B amplifiers (the parallel version) with the Shindo preamplifier
    Leben preamp with Leben CS-660P
    Art Audio Symphony II (300B) with the Shindo Auriges or Leben preamp.

My room is 20 x 13 x 9.

Volume level would be above average and musical tastes are all over the map including metal.

Cheers,

Frank

FrankDeckard, Jun 30, 2008
  2. FrankDeckard

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I had older Avatars.

I found them suprisingly a little less sensitive than I first suspected, and got the odd clip from a 300B set.

When I visit LV I often hear a pair of 300B's in push pull, so If I was starting over with those speakers, I think I'd start there.

Perhaps a Canary using 300b's in push-pull, about 22 odd watts, that'd sound great IMO.

I don't know the specific models you've said enough to comment.

By the way, as much as I liked them, I never found them a 'rock and metal' speaker - didn't have the low end whallop for that. If the metal-thing is your first and favourite music, I wouldn't personally go there. NB I like rock and metal aswell as everything else, but these days I play about 15% rock, so for that there was no probs.

bottleneck, Jun 30, 2008
  3. FrankDeckard

pvslab

Would you really be using a valve amp if heavy metal was your thing?

pvslab, Jun 30, 2008
  4. FrankDeckard

Dev Moderator

O yes!:D.

Dev, Jun 30, 2008
  5. FrankDeckard

FrankDeckard

Tubes and Metal go just fine...

My older Spendor SP2/3s did just fine with metal and tubes. Granted, I was using a REL subwoofer as well. Sabbath kicked ass on 300Bs. Same deal with Metallica and AC/DC.

In terms of my musical listening habits...

20% Blues
    20% Jazz
    25% Rock/Alternative/metal
    10% Folk
    15% Classical
    10% Everything else (world, klezmer, movie soundtracks, country)

In terms of classical, I'm more into chamber music than full-blown symphonic works. Bruch, Dvorak, Haydn, Mendelsohn, Mozart, etc...

Rock has dropped from 60% down to 25% in the past five years. I'm more into jazz/blues/folk now.

I listen in the nearfield or sitting off-axis in my writing chair.

Thanks.

Frank

FrankDeckard, Jun 30, 2008
  6. FrankDeckard

unclepuncle

If your dealing with Definitive surely they can guide (and demostate) the best options including some of the ones you list.
    * I see your in New Jersey so perhaps a Definitive demo isn't quite so easy*

All the amps in your list should be excellent - just be down to personal taste and asthetics.

A nice dilemma to have.

unclepuncle, Jul 1, 2008
  7. FrankDeckard

Hi Frank

I think they may be a good call then. With Jazz you will really hear the blare of the sax/trumpet etc - great!.

I liked my LV's best with Jazz and Dance music most especially. I still rate them. They do like a bit of room around them in an uncluttered space.

Amps with a nice clean tone are their cup of tea IMHO - more along the lines of Audionote, Canary etc than Mcintosh.

Putting a Border Patrol with them is like sticking Adrenalin into their hearts - they take off. You may like this, or prefer something a little more easy.

bottleneck, Jul 1, 2008
  8. FrankDeckard

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

On the whole I hate generalisations, but I must say that if you prefer small Jazz, Acoustic, Vocal, them single 300b or pair of EL84 would be fine, if a bit more big Jazz, Rock and Classical then a pair of 300b, and if more Heavy Rock and Metal then maybe a good El34/KT88/6550 amp.

But at the end of the day I feel you need to audition to make sure the amp works with your speakers and your music.

LiloLee, Jul 1, 2008
  9. FrankDeckard

FrankDeckard

Based on what I've read so far, it seems that the LV are not nearly as efficient as the specs claim and that single-ended isn't the best choice unless using parallel 300Bs or something with more grunt such as the AA Symphony II.

On a scale of 1-10 (5 being neutral, 10 being overly dark and warm), how would you guys rate the overall tonality and presentation of the IBX-R2s?

I lean towards an immediate warmer sounding system while not sacrificing too much detail. I'm sure that really sounds confusing.

Keep in mind that I will be using a REL T1 to fill-out the bass.

Much appreciated.

Frank

FrankDeckard, Jul 1, 2008
  10. FrankDeckard

i_should_coco Monkey

I think that's fair to say - they need a bit mor drive than the specs would suggest. 20W would be about right.

I'd say they're quite warm sounding, especially in the upper bass, but with lovely crisp tonality and timbre.

i_should_coco, Jul 3, 2008
  11. FrankDeckard

joel Shaman of Signals

You will have a hard time besting these. The SP2/3 is a seriously good and sadly underrated speaker IMO.
    Keep the Spendors, add another sub, eq the bass and get some nice McIn amplification for the illumination. Job done*.
    Otherwise, have you listened to Harbeth M40s?

*No, I'm not a proper audiophile.

joel, Jul 3, 2008
  12. FrankDeckard

Samantha

I have a large amount of classic rock and metal that I hadn't been playing as much as I used to. When I changed from my SS amp to an 845 valve amp, I found myself listening to the rock stuff far more.

Samantha, Jul 3, 2008
  13. FrankDeckard

RobsterD

Hi I have the OBX R2 and tried them successfully with the Almarro Integrated,Allnic Integrated,but ended up keeping the Allnic 300B monos.I would suggest you have a chat with Keith "coops" to get a home demo.
    * I also just seen you're in New Jersey so perhaps a demo isn't quite so easy :) *
    Though having spoken to Kevin he likes/recommends the New Audio Frontiers range almost got the KT66.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2008
    RobsterD, Jul 7, 2008
  14. FrankDeckard

Petergc

I've got the IBX R2's but use solid state (Proceed) as I'm using them also for AV. They have a great sense of ease and relaxation, so definitely to my ears are on the warm rather than the analytical side. That said, there's loads of detail, it just doesn't hit you in the face as it does with Wilson speakers. Best with quite a lot of space around them, and perfect with 300B valves. Maybe Canary or Art Audio

Petergc, Jul 8, 2008
  15. FrankDeckard

FrankDeckard

Hi,

Do you think the Art Audio 300B (Symphony II here in the U.S.) has enough power for them?

I've narrowed it down to the AA Symphony II, BP 21 (push-pull with the 300Bs), or the Audiomat Opera Reference (30 watts of Class 'A' push-pull using 6550s.

Thanks.

Frank

FrankDeckard, Jul 8, 2008
  16. FrankDeckard

Hiya Frank :)

Did you say you'd spoken to Kevin at Definitive Audio here in the UK?

Can't remember..

In case not, he's the speaker manufacturer and has a regular shop - he stocks Border Patrol, Art Audio (I think) and lots of other valve makes.

I'd give him a call if I were you..

Haven't heard the Art or Audiomat (don't know if they have UK presence) so can't comment.

My bet is he'd say BP21... but just guessing.

bottleneck, Jul 8, 2008
  17. FrankDeckard

FrankDeckard

I've been dealing with Lynn.

The advantage of the Audiomat (which sounds absolutely amazing) is that it is an integrated (no need for a preamp), has more than enough inputs, uses relatively cheaper tubes (4 6550s are a lot less painful than 4 WE 300Bs), and I have a solid long-term relationship with the distributor in NA. It is really good stuff.

Now that BP has relocated to Maryland (less than a 90 minute drive for me...at 120 KM/H), I feel more comfortable dealing with them if there is ever a problem.

The Art Audio is a fabulous 300B amp, but I don't know if it has enough power. The Diavolo certainly does but I hate the tubes it uses. Too forward sounding.

If I decide to use an amp/preamp combo, I'm leaning towards the BP 21 and the Leben preamp. The Shindo is better, but I think its too warm sounding.

FrankDeckard, Jul 8, 2008
  18. FrankDeckard

You can surely tube roll in the Art Audio?

I must admit, I don't bother any more. I use a 300b amp, and use Sovtek, Electro H, or whatever really. I've sworn off expensive 300b's for lent! :)

It's all part of a long-term goal to make owning high quality hifi reasonably cost effective (I'm doing a rotten job, but it's a plan!!)

I really quite like the 6550 tube. I like it's fat muscular quality. It's like a V8 of a tube to my ears.. beefcake as Kevin would say!

I met Gary of Border Patrol a few months ago. He lives in the USA these days, over your side of the water :)...edit... just realized you know that!

His 'power supplies' are a thing of awe. Have you heard a BP amp? You won't believe it, it's like it's on steroids. For some reason describing it sonically is like taking a 300b (lets call it Bruce Banner) and making it green!!

bottleneck, Jul 9, 2008
  19. FrankDeckard

FrankDeckard

In regard to the Diavolo, I think you need to use the tubes that they suggest to the get the most out of the amp. I like the amp, but I don't think the top end will work with the IBX-R2s.

I really like the EL34 and 6550.

My old Wavelength Duetto 300B amp came with WE300Bs, but they died an early and shocking death. I switched to Sophia mesh plates which I liked a lot more.

I really like using integrated amps because my kids are really young and less likely to torch themselves if all they can do is peak inside the big box and stare at the glowing thingies.

I could get away with placing the BP 21 on the top shelf of my second rack, which would make for a nice light show, but I know that it will just invite some stupid adult to come take a look and burn themselves.

When I reviewed, I always needed a preamp. Now that I don't...it really isn't required.

Granted....the BP21/Leben combo is mostly likely scary good.

FrankDeckard, Jul 9, 2008
  20. FrankDeckard

Purite Audio Purite Audio

I believe Jeff catalano can get hold of Mr Parks 'Allnic ' amps, his designed formerly for 'Silvaweld' which always garnered great reviews his amps are superb,hand comparable to the very best available, ( but without the Kondo type prices ).

Purite Audio, Jul 9, 2008
Ask a Question