Which CD player up to £300?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rockhopper, Aug 15, 2006.

1. rockhopper

rockhopper

I now have an Exposure 2010S integrated and Neat Mystique 2s.

Once i've sold my current CD player and DAC, im looking at a new dedicated CD player.

The most likely option is the matching 2010S CD player (if one comes available). The others im considering are:

Meridian 206 or 506, Rega, Creek, Roksan.

Im after a smooth sounding player. The downside of my current X-DAC is it's harsh top end.

Just want something smooth, lively, controlled and engaging. I've also seen a Copland player go cheap (around £350 for the 266 model I think).

The main thing is to get a good match for the rest of my system. My mate's Meridian 506 sounded spot on, so its most likely a 2nd hand Meridian of the 2010S.

Any other recommendations chaps?

P.S. Im trying to stay clear of Chinese stuff now. Although its great I dont fancy taking the risk of a bad system match or poor after sales, not to mention resale value

rockhopper, Aug 15, 2006
  2. rockhopper

rick

a mate of mine is about to sell his 206. he also has a 200/203 combination going at the same time. i think he wants about £235 each. i can put you in touch with him if your interested, failing that i would recommend a marantz cd10, i love mine and you can pick them up s/h within your budget.

rick, Aug 16, 2006
  3. rockhopper

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

If you're thinking new, then the NAD C542 is just over £300 or so or for about £200, you can pick up it's sibling, the C521BEE. To my ears, neither sound harsh - something I'm not keen on either, but both offer good levels of detail.

You may also be able to get bargains on the Rega Planet (now superceeded by the Apollo) - these were pretty highly regarded and smooth sounding.

Best thing to do is to try and audition a few of the ones that have been recommended and vote with your ears.

nsherin, Aug 16, 2006
  4. rockhopper

RobHolt Moderator

No question about it - buy a 206.
    These are old machines so if you find a good example, grab it.
    My 206 is the most fun and musical (I hate that word) player I've heard in years.

RobHolt, Aug 17, 2006
  5. rockhopper

mikedefacto

seconded :D

mikedefacto, Aug 17, 2006
  6. rockhopper

rockhopper

cheers for your replies.

rick, I wish i'd seen your post earlier. I would have been interested in that 206 had I seen it in time. Yesterday I bought a Rega Planet from eBay - if it falls through for whatever reason i'll be intersted in the Meridian.

Read a few good things about the Planet though. If I like the Rega sound i'll most likely save a bit more and upgrade to the Apollo.

rockhopper, Aug 17, 2006
  7. rockhopper

mr cat Member of the month

good and if you do decide up upgrade your rega - then I'll have a demo of yours as I may buy..!

got any links / pics to it..?

cheers

edit I just missed out on this one -
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....50022278622&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

mr cat, Aug 17, 2006
  8. rockhopper

rockhopper

yeah that CEC looks great. If I had enough to fund that and a decent dac, that would've been my choice too.

Given that you already have a decent DAC, you shoulda really bidded higher on that. Never mind.

Aint got any decent photos of it. The photo in the listing is poor.

Hope I get it soon!!!!

rockhopper, Aug 17, 2006
  9. rockhopper

mr cat Member of the month

yeah, I had to dial into work until about 2am and I noticed that the max bid was at 206 so I upped it to 211 as I didn't want to spend too much and the bidding ended at 6:55 this morning(!)...

also, the seller has zero feedback.... :rolleyes:

mr cat, Aug 17, 2006
  10. rockhopper

rockhopper

yeah I was wary about that too.

rockhopper, Aug 17, 2006
Ask a Question