Which dac for a 'mellow' sound?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by sanj, May 1, 2004.

1. sanj

sanj follow the tao

Been searching various forums for dac info, and I'm finding it difficult to get a good sense of what are the sound characteristics of particular dacs, i.e. warm/laidback/forward/bright etc. (There seems to much more talk of cd players in this respect).

Anyhow, for around 300-450 quid (s/h or new), which are the most warmest, tube like sounding dacs that one could get hold of? I'd be willing to sacrifice a bit of tempo, dynamics.
    BTW, as a kind of reference/example, I've used a tag dac20 and didn't find it particularly mellow - or maybe I've become too wholly eared (oh dear)

cheers

sanj, May 1, 2004
  2. sanj

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

A CAL (california audio labs) Sigma or Alpha DAC

Can be had second hand from Audiogon for 300-400 plus shipping from the states.

Voltage conversion is a snip of wire, and 2 simple solders. I could show you how.

Compared to a DAC 64 at a bake off, some preferred the rounded mellow character of the CAL. Others prefered the slight additional detail provided by the Chord. Opinions varied.. it was a bit like the classic valve vs solid state debate.... If given a choice at the same price point the DAC 64 would have edged it for me in retrospect (Ive changed my mind from first opinions) all would probably have agreed though that at the price it would be very very hard to beat the CAL.

Only thing to watch for is that they are about 7-10 years old, and you may need to get some servicing work done in the next few years. Mines been fine, but some others have needed to make small repairs.

Its the only valve DAC in this price range Ive tried, although I have heard about 4 valve CDPs in your price range if wanting a complete player.

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, May 1, 2004
  3. sanj

sanj follow the tao

Many thanks for the suggestion Chris. I'll look out for these.

Though still also interested in other dacs more easily available in the uk.

sanj, May 1, 2004
  4. sanj

zanash

You can get many of the lesser units to sound warmer, by judicious use of exotic components. The Cal did soon good at the bake off !

I've heavily modded a MF X-DAC that went some way towards the Cal, though not as warm.....but I'd rather try and go neutral route.

zanash, May 2, 2004
  5. sanj

sanj follow the tao

How difficult would it be to do a volatage conversion on a US dac, like a bel canto? Anyone got one/done this?

cheers

sanj, May 2, 2004
  6. sanj

Hi Sanj

IT depends on the piece of kit. Some manufacturers seem to make an identical product for 110v 220v and 240v. You just need to move a jumper wire to select.

Other manufacturers make products country specific, and you have to do quite a bit of work - or do what some people do and use a voltage converter between the product and the mains.

Chris

bottleneck, May 3, 2004
  7. sanj

sanj follow the tao

Hi Chris

I'll check with bel canto how they make their psu.

I did think that a straightforward stepdown transformer could work. Though any idea if it would end adding some nasty noise?

cheers
    sanj

sanj, May 3, 2004
  8. sanj

Have a word (PM) with Wadiameister. He has a novel solution.

:)
    Chris

bottleneck, May 3, 2004
  9. sanj

sanj follow the tao

Will do! Ta.

sanj, May 3, 2004
  10. sanj

Kit

Sanj

For that money you could order a Scott Nixon non-oversampling valve dac. Not heard one but it might fit the bill.

http://www.scott-nixon.com/dac.htm

As an aside, it's a myth that nonOS digital is inherently "mellow" sounding. Fiddling about with a nonOS Arcam Alpha 5 I've manged to make it variously cuddly wuddly and superclean slam nasty just by swapping a few parts. It seems the sound is still mostly in the output stage, power supply and associated grounding.

Kit, May 3, 2004
Ask a Question