which DVD to use for CD transport

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by alanl, Feb 14, 2004.

1. alanl

alanl

I'm after a DVD player and need to lower the number of boxes I have, so the pioneer PDS-901 CD transport has to make way for a DVD player. I use a MSB LINK DAC III and would like to know what you guys suggest is the best DVD player to use as a CD transport. I don't care about the DVD performance at all.

The balance of the system is passive pre, Yamaha P-2200 power amp & Linn Kan's

Thanks for any advise.

Alan

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2004
    alanl, Feb 14, 2004
  2. alanl

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Why not keep the transport and buy one of those cheap £40 mini DVD players?

amazingtrade, Feb 14, 2004
  3. alanl

alanl

Wish I could, but new she who should has closed that option! what man will do for s__

alanl, Feb 14, 2004
  4. alanl

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

well, Id go for an expensive Arcam, Naim or similar DVD player.

That'll learn her for trying to get rid of your toys. :D

bottleneck, Feb 14, 2004
  5. alanl

HenryT

Hi Alan,

Did Pioneer make a CD transport called the "CD-909" as well? That confused me at first, as I know that they definitely made a DVD/LD combi player called the "DVL-909". I have the DVL-919 (the successor to the DVL-909) as my DVD player, but it ain't much good as a transport for CD replay with an external DAC IMO. :rolleyes:

What's your budget BTW?

Would a second hand TEAC/Esoteric DV-50 be way too far out of reach? There's currently one on Audiogon for US$4100:

[​IMG]

Whether SWMBO would like the rather chunky styling would be another issue I guess.... I just wanted an excuse to post up the picture here anyway, what with my fetish for silver and champagne gold coloured components. ;)

HenryT, Feb 14, 2004
  6. alanl

alanl

HenryT,

Sorry, too much wine!! The transport is a pioneer PDS-901. Size is not the problem, I have a rack with no extra spare space, I can change the hight of the shelf with ease and she would not know. Even if the rack was an extra 12" high. Problem is she counts the number of shelfs (tried to add extra shelf, end result this thread)

The Teac was not sold here in Aus..... could have been the answer.

Cheers

Alan

alanl, Feb 14, 2004
  7. alanl

joel Shaman of Signals

Hi Alan,
    Shame about the Teac. Do Denon sell in OZ? If so,one of their universal players might be worth a demo. I have an AZ1650n CDP and it's good, even from a FE perspective...
    Of course, if we think laterally, there is another, radical, solution to your current conundrum...

joel, Feb 14, 2004
  8. alanl

HenryT

The DV-50 and most of the high-end TEAC/Esoteric stuff isn't available over here in the UK either. The DV-50 I pointed out on Audiogon is from a seller in Japan, and includes worldwide shipping in the price.

I guess you would want to audition it before buying, yes? :)

HenryT, Feb 14, 2004
  9. alanl

joel Shaman of Signals

DV50 can be had *new* here for less than that :rolleyes:
    In any case, it has been superceded by two uber high-end models.

joel, Feb 14, 2004
  10. alanl

HenryT

Interesting point Joel, thanks. How much was the DV50 new in your neck of the woods then? :)

What's the general situation out there as regards buying from a Japanese dealer for shipment outside of Japan?

I know a lot of US high-end companies don't allow their dealers to ship outside of the US and not many would want to risk their franchise doing so either I'd suspect. Wondered if companies like TEAC and Denon have similar policies for their dealers on the home ground. If not, what websites are there out there offering to ship from Japan?

HenryT, Feb 14, 2004
  11. alanl

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

nice looking player that, Henry.

Should be top quality.

The remote control though looks like cheap tat though. Shame.

bottleneck, Feb 14, 2004
  12. alanl

voodoo OdD

I'd go for a Sony 9000ES. I've used one of these as both transport and DVDP for over a 2 years now and it's the dog's nuts :D .
    You can probably pick up a new unit for around £400/£450 these days.

Battleship build, <190psec of jitter, stunning picture quality, RGB pass through and 2 channel SACD. I doubt you'd find better for the money :).

Attached Files:

voodoo, Feb 14, 2004
  13. alanl

HenryT

I know exactly what you mean Chris. It looks OK to me though and at least it's a very functional remote unlike some bare bones jobbies which you wondered why they even bothered with sometimes that comes with certain equipment. I always found the lack of direct track access on my old SATfix's remote rather annoying, but it was a very nice and chunky metal remote. But yes, you'd expect a metal remote rather than a plastic one to accompany a piece of kit like that. Rather like one of these I guess ;) :

[​IMG]

HenryT, Feb 14, 2004
  14. alanl

joel Shaman of Signals

True it would be nice if it looked nicer. But at least it will still be working when all the fancy ones, laser cut from metal billets, have gone to meet their maker (I speak from experience on this) :rolleyes:

Henry,
    The manus do not want you importing directly from Japan. The guarantee will only be valid in Japan, and if the manu discovers the unit has been used outside of Japan they will not respect the guarantee.
    Most kit is preset for local voltages these days. Accuphase used to have universal voltage, but the grey market "forced" them to change. I'll be cleaning my kit tonight, so I'll take a look at the VRDS50...
    I think the DV50 can be had new OTS for about 3.8K USD, and S/H for considerably less.
    s/h makes more sense as far as importing goes. It's not without difficulty, though. You are welcome to PM me if interested in going down this route at some point.
    The competition is really fierce right now in this part of the market. Luxman also do a very well received universal player, as do Denon and Onkyo (blast from the past or what!).
    I don't know how good any of these are, but probably all are very good - if you can get over label (and remote control) shock.

joel, Feb 14, 2004
Ask a Question