Which floorstander for up to 1500?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by tuga, Mar 30, 2008.

1. tuga

jonjin

Yup... could easily find some second hand Audio Physics.

JJ

jonjin, Mar 31, 2008
  2. tuga

anubisgrau

tuga, i've just noticed your 'for sale' ads for your full range speakers.

obviously i have no experience with these, but i would be seriously surprised if they would sound short of excellent with a proper amp.

that said, i doubt if any gainclone based amp - 47 labs included - can really get their full potential out.

have you ever tried them with a nice SET? it doesn't have to be a DHT, you can start with EL84 or KT88 SEP

a friend has a vintage pioneer full rangers driven by a simple EL34 SEP monoblocks and the sound is fantastic, very vivid and tonally beautiful. used as a nearfield, in a 20m2 room, they even cope with an orchestral music in an acceptable way; they for sure have no dynamics like the big ones, but tonal colours and instruments positioning is excellent.

have you ever tried a decent single ended amp with them?

anubisgrau, Apr 6, 2008
  3. tuga

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

I agree with Anubis. Those speakers would probably sound amazing on the end of a 2A3 or EL34 based amp. Look at Prima Luna and Consonace.

Revolver make some sensitive speakers and the R45 is suposed to be a bit of a bargain (£900?). Looks like it could pack plenty of wallop....

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 8, 2008
  4. tuga

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

I'd second this as well worth investigating. I run 15" Golds in a room of similar dimensions to yours - complete with partial wall where 2 were knocked into one. I'm using a 45w valve amp but I rarely if ever need to turn the pre up past about 10 o'clock. They certainly can do adequate 'real' bass even in Tannoy's most basic (Lancaster) cab but its vocal reproduction where they really shine. They are within your budget (s/h) and will hold their resale value. Styling of some of the older cabs are not to everyone's taste of course, but mine are keepers.

johnfromnorwich, Apr 8, 2008
Ask a Question