Which Headphone amp - Perraeaux or Musical Fidelity?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by AnisJ, Jan 28, 2004.

1. AnisJ

AnisJ

I am considering going for the headphone amp and my choice is between the Perreaux SHX1 and Musical Fidelity XCANS. I have not heard either of them but have read many reviews. The source would be Philips 963SA and headphone in question is the Sennheiser HD580.

My understanding is that the Perreaux having a good reputation when it comes to low end may complement the 580 (not famous with bass freaks) in a better way compared to the Xcans. On the other hand the Xcans may have better tube like midrange. Both headphone amps surely, as is always the case with any hifi gear, have their plus and minus points. There are surely other attributes associated with both amps as well which I am not in position to discuss since lack of audition on my part.

I do not listen to Rap, Metal or Hard rock otherwise all other genres of music I enjoy. The speakers I have are the LS3/5a's and the Paradigm Studio 40 v.2. Also have the REL Strata III which works with both speakers so I usually switch back and forth whenever feel like or am in the mood for some low end grunt.

If anyone has compared the two I would appreciate if they can share their opinion. If not, I'd still like to hear from anyone who has used either.

If you were to choose between the two in question, which one would it be, and why?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2004
    AnisJ, Jan 28, 2004
  2. AnisJ

Joolsburger

I understand the V3 HD580 is a very synergistic match have a look at www.headfi.com

Joolsburger, Jan 28, 2004
  3. AnisJ

PBirkett VTEC Addict

As a Musical Fidelity X-Can v3 owner (not after tonight though), I have used it with the HD650 and can say that they are a pretty decent synergy, almost like they are designed to be together. The X-Can v3 is quite bright and forward, but has quite lean bass, so it is voiced for Sennheisers.

However, it is a flawed design. To get the most from it, you'll need to change the tubes (the inbuilt ones absolutely suck, if not from a sound point of view, certainly from reliability). You'll need the external PSU (that MF will charge £200 for and you can build yourself for £30 if you are good at DIY) to make the bass more solid. To make it really shine you'll need to replace the capacitors too. This makes what appears to be a cheap amp much more expensive.

The Perreaux is a good high quality amp using quality components, however, unless you like your sound laid back, I'd avoid it since both the HD580 and Perreaux are laid back and warm, and it might end up being too warm.

I'd recommend you check out Graham Slee's new Solo amp - he's recently modified it, and he tells me that its better than a Sugden Headmaster (which he helped design also, so he might know what he's talking about). For £299 its only slightly more expensive than the X-Can, and his add on PSU is about another £100. However, this is likely to be a far more dynamic and lively performer than the X-Can.

PBirkett, Jan 28, 2004
  4. AnisJ

si_c

Paul,

When are you going to end your constant cycle of upgrades :D

I have been looking at the Graham slee solo myself the last few days, as I am kitting out a full headphone rig towards the end of the month, either that, the V3 X-cans, or a perreaux.

Any particular reason you are getting rid of the v3, other than valve problems?

si_c, Jan 29, 2004
  5. AnisJ

RDD Longterm Lurker

I suppose it's one of those questions that only you can answer. If people who swap boxes all the time learn one thing from it, it's that blind buying can be a costly game.

I was looking at the Perreaux SHX1 to, but alas they would have to be imported and as far as the Perreaux web site is concerned there are NO UK dealers, and NO official importers or even support. So essentially it's a very rocky path.

I would personally go and give the Slee amp a try and if possible the V3 as well, I've heard they are both good, just in different ways!!

Good luck on your hunt,
    Rick

RDD, Jan 29, 2004
  6. AnisJ

Joolsburger

Perreaux happily gave me the contact details for their Netherlands distributor who was very helpful indeed and speaks perfect English. I'd say that buying from him would be painless. Going purely by the look of the thing the Perreaux seems to offer good material value for money and seems well laid out and built, as has been mentioned though, an unheard buy may not be the best way I have heard very good reports though.

I am toying with a replacement for my Ear Mk2 which frankly sounds a bit rough. I wondered about the Earmax Pro as an alternative but I think it's a bit ugly (too much gold), thought about the Slees and also the Sugden. I am now erring towards a valve number made by Antique Soundlabs which seems to have a bit of everything and at the right price.

It's very difficult to decide and I sympathise... As it's only a couple of hundred I can just about afford to take a chance, there's always ebay if it goes wrong!!

Joolsburger, Jan 29, 2004
  7. AnisJ

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Simple answer to the first question: When I find something I like :D

Secondly, the v3 sounds pretty good, but is bright, certainly designed for Sennheiser, uses low quality parts, has a badly designed case that will cause the amp to overheat over long periods of time, causing the caps to burst, needs a £200 PSU to sound its best, uses awful, unreliable valves which are harsh sounding, is not suited to low impedance phones like the Sony MDR-CD3000, and the fact I just want something that is no hassle and a lively and dynamic performer, particularly in the bass, and a treble that doesnt tear my eardrums out.

If you wait a few weeks, I am getting a 2004 revised Graham Slee Solo on sale or return, and I'll let you know how it measures up, but I'd be VERY surprised if the Solo didnt poop on the v3 from a great height - this latest model is supposed to be REALLY good from what I've heard from a couple of people who've tried it thus far - better than a Sugden Headmaster.

PBirkett, Jan 29, 2004
  8. AnisJ

si_c

I have to admit, I am sorely tempted by the perreaux on looks alone :D

si_c, Jan 29, 2004
  9. AnisJ

PBirkett VTEC Addict

People take this piss out of me on here for my constant headphone upgrades, but I wonder if they really realise how hard it is to make a good headphone rig, given the poor choice of headphones and amps available to audition. And given that you have two drivers within 1 cm of your ears, its very, very difficult to find something you like long term, when just going on the opinions of others.

I've had a dozen pairs of headphones and will soon be onto my 5th amp in my quest for headphone nirvana :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sometimes I wonder if I shouldnt have just gone for Stax and be done with it, but the one Stax system I heard made dance music sound very lightweight and feeble, and the treble was bright IMO, and thats not a nice combination.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2004
    PBirkett, Jan 29, 2004
  10. AnisJ

PBirkett VTEC Addict

What cans you using? The Perreaux synergises particularly well with the Sony MDR-CD3000 apparently, and some people use it with Senn's to good effect, although I'd imagine the result will be VERY laid back, just something I'd warn about. The Perreaux is apparently very much on the warm side of neutral.

PBirkett, Jan 29, 2004
  11. AnisJ

Joolsburger

12. AnisJ

PBirkett VTEC Addict

PBirkett, Jan 29, 2004
  13. AnisJ

Joolsburger

14. AnisJ

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Jan 29, 2004
  15. AnisJ

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Yes it does look like a good choice if one wants a tube amplifier to drive their headphones, cannot think of anything better really (and the X-can doesnt sound like a tube amp to me anyway, so that doesnt count).

PBirkett, Jan 29, 2004
  16. AnisJ

Joolsburger

17. AnisJ

si_c

Currently using DT531s, with an eye to purchase something along similar lines in the near future.

Into rock/dance/trance/techno so strong bass/lower mid and smooth upper mid with plenty of detail required.

I cannot stand sibilance, so any over tendency to that would drive me crazy over extended periods of listening.

si_c, Jan 29, 2004
  18. AnisJ

RDD Longterm Lurker

Yep, they certainly don't make it easy to audition. I've done my fair share of blind buying on peoples recommendations (on my 3rd amp now - and happy), and all it's shown me is that people have very different ideas about what sounds good or what bass actually is.

I've thought about the Stax route to, and to be honest their no more expensive (the 2020 for example, second hand or otherwise) than what you or I are running now, but without hearing them, and from what I've heard from reviewers, they really wouldn't suit my rocking tastes, or your dance ones.

Cheers,
    Rick

PS - I wasn't having a pop at you!!

Edited due to terrible grammer :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2004
    RDD, Jan 29, 2004
  19. AnisJ

RDD Longterm Lurker

Thats interesting to know for the future, thanks :cool:

RDD, Jan 29, 2004
  20. AnisJ

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Well I've got the DT531's with me now, and although they sound good through the X-Can v3, they could still sound better IMO. I dont know how the Perreaux would synergise with them, but I'd think chances are it would make a good combo too (possibly better than the X-Can). The Slee Solo could well turn the into a beast if the recent reviews are to be believed. Like I said, I'll let you know when I get it what its like.

If you are ever in the market for a good dance / rock music headphone in the future, should you wish to upgrade, I feel the Sony MDR-CD3000 when well matched is hard, if not impossible to beat for this genre ;)

PBirkett, Jan 29, 2004
Ask a Question