Which Hi-Fi?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tmelt, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Tmelt

Tmelt

Hi,

I'm after some advice in whether or not to buy a hi-fi or to stick with what I have, it's only for my bedroom and I'm not after anything very expensive. I currently have the the Sony CMT-NEZ3 - old I know but it's never let me down! - (http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hfs-cd-music-system/cmt-nez3#pageType=TechnicalSpecs) but I've seen a very good deal on the Sony CMTFX300 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-CMTFX300I-Micro-Hi-Fi-Tuner/dp/tech-data/B003ZUXITC/ref=de_a_smtd) and wondered if the latter is a sufficient upgrade to warrant spending £50 on it. I'm pretty dense at technical specs but as I understand it the higher the Watts the better? Which would mean my current one is more powerful? Although the potential new one would have an iPod dock which would be very handy for me.

If anyone has to spare sec to look for me and give me feedback I'd be very grateful.

Tmelt, Feb 20, 2011
  2. Tmelt

nando nando

have a look on the teac site, you can get access via mine

nando, Feb 20, 2011
  3. Tmelt

Tenson Moderator

It is quite impossible to tell from the specs provided. With systems like these the speakers are usually the most important factor. It's a simple case of needing to listen to both and make a judgement.

Having said that, could you get the new hi-fi with iPod dock and stick your old speakers on it if they sound better?

Also you should be able to connect your iPod with a simple mini-jack to RCA cable. You don't actually need a dock.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Jack-...3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1298233725&sr=1-3

Tenson, Feb 20, 2011
  4. Tmelt

RobHolt Moderator

I would agree with Simon.
    The existing Sony system looks ok and if working well you could upgrade the performance with better speakers. I'd recommend Mission 760s - old but good and you can get a clean pair used for <£50. The old sony amp has 2x15w RMS which goes plenty loud into the Missions.

RobHolt, Feb 20, 2011
  5. Tmelt

Tmelt

Thanks very much guys, some pretty sound advice. So the fact my current one has better RMS doesn't necessarily mean it's better with loud music, that depends on the speakers? Too be honest I've never had problems with my current system and I'm just attracted by having an inclusive iPod dock that sits kinda smartly on the front of it. So I guys I'm smartest to stick with what I have and maybe spend more on a significant upgrade in the future...

Tmelt, Feb 21, 2011
  6. Tmelt

Tmelt

Again excuse my ignorance but would this for instance - Sony CMTBX77DBI Mini Hi-Fi with iPod Dock: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics - be a lot better as it's 50W RMS? Or am I not focusing on the right specs?

Tmelt, Feb 21, 2011
  7. Tmelt

Tenson Moderator

Specs like that are mostly meaningless to sound quality. Factors they don't mention like the distortion level of the speakers and how much power they actually require to go loud make a big difference. They can also fake the power rating, for example one might be the power output at 0.1% distortion while another may be at 1% distortion.

If you want an i-pod dock then get the new one and use your old speakers with it if they happen to sound better. If you want better sound over-all then spend the money on some second hand speakers like Rob suggested.

Tenson, Feb 21, 2011
  8. Tmelt

Legzr1

Not Found

The requested URL /sales/new/teac/ndex.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    Apache/2.2.17 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.17 OpenSSL/0.9.8g DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.16 Server at www.homescapeav.co.uk Port 80

Legzr1, Feb 24, 2011
Ask a Question