Which Mat

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by johnandchris, Mar 1, 2012.

1. johnandchris

johnandchris

As the thread suggest, Which Mat for an LP12. My standard felt mat is out of shape and needs replacing. Do i .
    A. replace with a new linn felt mat.
    b. replace with an after market mat.

I have been loking on ebay at the Inspire Acri-mat (£25), the Isomat (£23), the SRM/Tech (£32) or the clearaudio Harmo-nicer (£43).

Any ideas?

Thanks
    John

johnandchris, Mar 1, 2012
  2. johnandchris

RobHolt Moderator

Of all the mats I've used in the past I'd say the supplied Linn felt mat is the best. That's assuming you have a regular LP12 that hasn't been fitted with a replacement sub chassis. This latter component is so key to the sound that I can only apply my comments to the standard version.

Contrary too what many will say, the old 'regular' LP12 was a very careful balance of compromise that evolved over many years and it largely stayed true the basic character of the original deck. As such, you have to be careful when changing part of the deck, and that includes the mat which plays a fundamental part in maintaining the balance.

RobHolt, Mar 1, 2012
  3. johnandchris

johnandchris

That is a fair point Rob.
    I have a pre-cricus LP12 (white liner with epoxy chassis) with new springs, Ittok LV11 (later version) with a Goldring Eroica LX cartridge and an offboard Hercules Mose. I have a pure silver cable (my own that i sell on EBAY). The only mod to my linn other than the power supply is a polished platter!

I am very happy with the sound, i just need a new mat as it has shrunk and is therefore out of shape (now thicker in some places).

I have heard some good and some bad reviews of mats and i am not going to spend huge amounts on snake oil impregnated mats made of unobtanium/cork composite! I have however heard good reports about the aforementioned mats.

John

johnandchris, Mar 1, 2012
  4. johnandchris

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Use the Linn felt mat (even if you have a replacement chassis - well, mine at least)

I certainly wouldn't use any of the other ones you list

YNMOAN, Mar 1, 2012
  5. johnandchris

johnandchris

I am going to go for a new linn mat as suggested. I can always get hold of an after market one later and AB it.
    Thanks
    John

johnandchris, Mar 6, 2012
Ask a Question