Which MM Phono amp for a passive pre ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PSXmad2, May 29, 2007.

1. PSXmad2

PSXmad2

Any suggestions for a phono stage to partner a passive pre, I have tried a number from a cheap Project, sounded distant and constrained, to a EAR which was much better but a little rolled off in the top end. I like the tube sound and run SET300b`s, but its the match with the passive TVC pre that I need pointers to.
    tia
    Tony

PSXmad2, May 29, 2007
  2. PSXmad2

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

I coudn't say whether or not it matches as such (if you could say the issues...) unless you mean output impedance but I have no complaints whatsoever with a Linn Linto into a MF TVC

SteveC, May 29, 2007
  3. PSXmad2

PSXmad2

Thanks for the quick reply, It`s the audio/sound quality match i`m interested in not the electrical match. It`s impossible to try them all but up to say £500, new or preferably used a phono stage that has a good output and that sonicaly works particually well with a TVC passive.

PSXmad2, May 29, 2007
  4. PSXmad2

Colin2040

I recently changed and although I like valves I prefer solid state phonos(of the ones I have heard to date).Iused a Whest with a passive very good but pricey but recently settled on a Dynavector DP75 .Does all I want and can be adjusted to accomodate other cartridges.

Colin2040, May 30, 2007
  5. PSXmad2

Baudrillard

Hi

You need a phono preamp with an output stage that will drive a TVC properly- with an output impedance as low as possible (Below about 2K, I think) Two such valve devices are the Ear 834p and DIYhifi supply Cole, which has a passive EQ circuit. The latter has an output impedance of 600 ohms and the Ear is in a similar ballpark. With solid state stages, there is usually nothing to worry about but with valve ones, there are less to choose from that work well with a tvc.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2007
    Baudrillard, May 30, 2007
  6. PSXmad2

Colin2040

Had the EAR 834p on test recently and cant say I liked it , my WAD kit phono was excellent but has never been used with a TVC so dont know if it would drive a tvc

Colin2040, May 30, 2007
  7. PSXmad2

PSXmad2

Thanks for the info, as I said I currently have the EAR on loan but am also underwhelmed by it, in my set up, which is all odd gear, it sounds a little dull and a bit boomy, maybe some tweaking is required but I have decided that its not for me, so am looking to see whats on offer.
    Regards
    Tony

PSXmad2, May 30, 2007
  8. PSXmad2

Colin2040

I felt the ear834 was a bit well flabby not particularly accurate and bass was boomy,certainly in my system the wad kit was a better all rounder. I tried the Lehmann Black cube really liked it ,but the Dynavector played very much like the Whest but at a lot less money.You can also look second hand to see whats out there quite a lot to choose from its just getting a chance to listen to it.

Colin2040, May 30, 2007
  9. PSXmad2

Antony

My choice a while back (7 years or so) was between the Black Cube and the EAR 834P. The EAR was hopeless (and I also found out what a total nob end Tim de Paravicini is..) I can thoroughly recommend the Black Cube. For the money it's great. Good enough in fact, that I didn't bother with any more dem'ing.

Antony, May 31, 2007
  10. PSXmad2

submachinegun

For a value for money phono stage look no further than the Graham Slee gram-amp series you can even talk to him regarding compatability I am using the 2Se version and in knocks the spots off any others for price and performance.

submachinegun, May 31, 2007
  11. PSXmad2

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

sq225917, May 31, 2007
  12. PSXmad2

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

GRAM SLEE OR TOM EVANS - tried both with tvc and work very well

larkrise, May 31, 2007
  13. PSXmad2

Baudrillard

My graham slee era gold V is on sale for £280, if anyone's interested.

(excuse the blameless slug) :SWMBO:

...I mean shameful plug.

Baudrillard, May 31, 2007
  14. PSXmad2

PSXmad2

Thanks Larkrise, Its the compatability with the TVC that i`m looking for, using the EAR the sound is sightly dull and a little boomy so its poor at the extremes, whilst my CD a modded Alpha 5+ sounds very tight, dynamic and detailed. So for the TVC and the SET 300b amps any more reccomendations for a compatable phono stage ?

Regards
    Tony

PSXmad2, Jun 1, 2007
  15. PSXmad2

PSXmad2

Baudrillard, is your Graham Slee the intro version or the full fat version with the seperate PSU1 power supply ?

Also did the Minimax sell ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2007
    PSXmad2, Jun 1, 2007
  16. PSXmad2

Baudrillard

Hi.

Its the full, PSU1 £480 version bought new from Walrus. The Minimax is sold, pending payment.

Baudrillard, Jun 1, 2007
  17. PSXmad2

Dik Dolan

I currently use an 834p into a tvc/300b setup. The 834 sound can be altered a fair bit just by trying different valves- some are warm and soft, some clean and sharp, for example. I use sovtec 12AX7LPS which are a nice improvement on the cheapo valves mine came with. Mine also has the volume control- I replaced the crappy pot with a dact a long time ago, that opened up the sound quite a lot. The EAR has no trouble driving my tvc, but yes the EAR's basic sound presentation is on the warm cuddly side.

Having said all that, I have just recieved the WD phono3 kit (also bought the pre3), so hopefully will be able to give you my views in a week or two when I have built it. (still waiting for the instructions to be finished- probably monday I was told- and also the stepups for MC)

Dik Dolan, Jun 1, 2007
  18. PSXmad2

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

If you want to think about the output and input impedance issue you could take a look at http://www.whirlwindusa.com/tech03.html

SteveC, Jun 1, 2007
  19. PSXmad2

PSXmad2

Baudrillard, thanks for the detail, I will consider that. Will pm later.

Dik, Interesting, the WD 3 kit is one i`ve been considering having listened to a WAD 2 phono kit which sounded excellent. Wether I can wait that long I dont know :)

It is the match with the TVC that is my main concern, when you look at opinions and reviews on most products up to £500 you can always find a good review of all the main phono stages, especially when VFM is added to the conclusion from the £60 Cambridge to the EAR and all in between, so if I can get the match correct it might have the edge. Fingers crossed. As a friend of mine always says " the best ingredients but you still have to bake the cake"

Regards
    Tony

PSXmad2, Jun 1, 2007
  20. PSXmad2

PSXmad2

Thanks Steve, does this mean anything http://www.promitheusaudio.com/tvcfaq.htm

I understand the water/hose analagy but its effect on the sound is not so clear. Maybe a closer look at ss may be in order.

Regards
    Tony

PSXmad2, Jun 1, 2007
Ask a Question