Which multi-channel format? SACD or DVD-A?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nsherin, Mar 8, 2004.

1. nsherin

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

I'm seriously considering replacing my DVD-Video player with either a universal or one that simply does DVD-V and DVD-A.

CD playback isn't important, as I've got a NAD C521BEE that I'm very satisfied with for those duties. At the Bristol Show, Meridian mentioned that the dual-format disc should be making an appearence over here towards the end of the year (one side will be a CD layer, the other will be a DVD-A layer). This would indicate that DVD-Audio is even more likely to succeed as the leader of the multi-channel audio format.

With this in mind, do you reckon it's worth bothering with SACD (which I would imagine to be mainly Sony/Columbia releases) and going just for a straight DVD-A player, as opposed to a universal player?

Any help/advice much appreciated, guys ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2004
    nsherin, Mar 8, 2004
  2. nsherin

Goomer

Hi, nsherin - how much are you looking to spend?

Goomer, Mar 8, 2004
  3. nsherin

Damn double post - I hit send by mistake, before I finished typing. Double post is now deleted.

About £150, max. Although a £70 Limit looks tempting from Richers which has DVD-V and DVD-A capabilities.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2004
    nsherin, Mar 8, 2004
  4. nsherin

Mr_Sukebe

Nsherin>

I tried a mid range (£300) Marantz DVD/SACD player recently at home in my own system.

My personal suggestion would be to avoid buying any of the multi-format players. With the money you save from not buying the SACD player, the extra speakers and amps, sell your Nad and buy a considerably better CD player. That way you'll have great stereo that at least in my opinion is far more likely to be interesting when compared to a low priced multi-channel system.

As a side note, I also tried the Pioneer 565 against the Marantz (both playing SACD). The pioneer sounded completely rubbish in comparison.

Mr_Sukebe, Mar 8, 2004
  5. nsherin

julian2002 Muper Soderator

nsherin,
    i have the limit dvd player you mention - i'm not sure if it actually plays the hi-rez dvd-a (tee hee) tracks or just the dd or dts mix that are standard on the disks. the other thing is that the video isn;t that hot really - it;s good with pal progressive scan so if you have a plasma then great but onm a normal telly it;s frankly crap. my old mico beats it hands down.

i'd say don;t invest in a restricted format player yet. if you want to go seriously multichannel then go for a universal machine but as mr s says the more things you ask of a machine the less well it will do all of them unless there's a lot of money been spent on it.

julian2002, Mar 8, 2004
  6. nsherin

Thanks guys. I'm very satisfied with my NAD CD player, so will be hanging on to that and keeing the Pioneer DV-350 for video duties. In fact, whilst listening to my system this weekend, it's now finally at a point where I'm very happy with it's performance and am enjoying the music it makes!

You've managed to convince me not to spend any money. I'll put it towards more music instead :)

nsherin, Mar 8, 2004
Ask a Question