Which power amp?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ted, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Ted

Ted

I currently have two Musical Fidelity X-A50s powering the treble and two MF M250s powering the mid and bass through an MF X-P100 pre. My speakers are ATC- SCM35s.

For reasons of space (pressure from the other half) I am contemplating replacing all the power amps with a single unit. At the same time, I would like to perhaps upgrade. I need plenty of power as the ATCs require it. I listen to everything from classical / opera to alternative rock.

Anyone any ideas to get me started? Regarding price, I'm pretty flexible - I reckon I could get a reasonable sum for my MF amps on ebay. Right now I just want to know what my options are.

Cheers guys. :)

Ted, Aug 26, 2005
  2. Ted

andyoz

There's a ATC SPA2-150 power amp listed on www.hififorsale.com about 2 weeks ago for under 1000 quid.

I use one of them with my SCM35's and it certainly has plenty of power on tap.

You'll probably want to spend more than that though after selling your four amps.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2005
    andyoz, Aug 26, 2005
  3. Ted

anon_bb Honey Badger

Bryston. Preferably monblocks.

anon_bb, Aug 26, 2005
  4. Ted

Markus S Trade

Sell amps and speakers and get ATC 50 actives. Most space-efficient solution.

Markus S, Aug 26, 2005
  5. Ted

kennyk thecrossovernetwork.com

I've always found that using one amp for both channels does not sound as good as mono-blocking, regardless of bi-amping or bi-wiring.

Recently I tried using one of my Quad 306s instead of the two (I normally use one channel of each amp only.) the soundstage totally collapsed and the system sounded boring. bringing the other amp back in made such a big difference to the system that I personally wouldn't go back to using one amp for both channels.

I would advise auditioning mono blocks as well as a stereo amp before making your final decision. I've heard good things about Unision Research, though my actual experience of them is very limited - heard an integrated a while back and it did sound good indeed. Perhaps a Unico DM dual mono?

kennyk, Aug 26, 2005
  6. Ted

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

cel banto integrated or the new tact power (or int for that matter)

lAmBoY, Aug 26, 2005
  7. Ted

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

I can definitely say that there seems to be synergy between the TacT SDA amps and ATC passives - in my case the SCM12. I have tried some other amps recently including Naim Nap200 and Bel Canto Evo2i and I'm sticking with Tact.

alanbeeb, Aug 26, 2005
  8. Ted

freefallrob

I'm not sure if they are in the right ball park but the big Rotel and Nad power amps can be very good, perhaps not good enough ?

freefallrob, Aug 26, 2005
  9. Ted

Tenson Moderator

DEFFINATLY go active!!

Hell you could even upgrade to PMC's ;)

Tenson, Aug 26, 2005
  10. Ted

anon_bb Honey Badger

I was going to suggest that but wasnt sure if it would be appreciated.

If I was you I would get a pair of PMC ib1s and a bryston 4b-st or sst. The st goes on ebay for about £1200 and you might get a used pair of ib1s for £1800. You could get most of that for what you have already. Or even get a 4b and an 8b and triamp passively.

anon_bb, Aug 26, 2005
  11. Ted

Ted

Thanks for all the replies. Had to respond to this one! I actually auditioned some PMCs at the same time as the ATCs. I can't remember which ones they were but they were comparable price-wise (OB1 rings a bell???) Anyway, at anything like decent volume on music with a prominent bass (I think Radiohead OK Computer was one of my audition CDs), the bass driver hit the rear of the speaker and made an awful rattle. This was simply not acceptable for me, despite their otherwise excellent sound.

Ted, Aug 30, 2005
  12. Ted

anon_bb Honey Badger

The gb/ob/fb1 series are domestic only and not as good as the studio models - try the ib1 instead.

anon_bb, Aug 30, 2005
  13. Ted

Ted

Not really keen on changing the speakers. The mid-range on the ATCs is sublime and certainly not an area I'm looking to improve just yet. I'll have a look into some of the other power amp options posted on this thread.

Ted, Aug 30, 2005
  14. Ted

anon_bb Honey Badger

No worries - the pmc midrange on the three ways is even better though IMHO. You could still try a bryston amp with the atc.

anon_bb, Aug 30, 2005
  15. Ted

JohnD76

JohnD76, Aug 30, 2005
  16. Ted

johnhunt recidivist

ted

i have an BC evo 4 - you'd be welcome around for a listen. i'm in south east london.

johnhunt, Aug 30, 2005
  17. Ted

anon_bb Honey Badger

Or how about a diy power amp like the white noise audio design - he can supply prebuilt if required. www.wnaudio.com

anon_bb, Aug 30, 2005
  18. Ted

Ted

I did think about one of these to replace the two M250s. That way I could keep the X-A50s possibly (space permitting) and retain some of the mono-bloc sound.

Anyone heard an MF A5cr? Have to say I'm getting a bit bored of MF's marketing ("It is a demonstrable fact the A5CR power amp is the technical equal of all but a minute number of extremely expensive (over about £10,000) products from other so-called high end manufacturers etc etc") and am curious about what else is out there....

Ted, Aug 30, 2005
  19. Ted

JohnD76

Ted,

All companies 'big up' their products, one way or another.

I spoke with one of the guys at Shadow Audio Consultants (who incidentally offer a 14 day money back guarantee I think) about power amp choices and he came back to me with the Bel Canto (£2899) Evo 2 or the A5 (£1500).

Might be worth contacting them or alternativley, finding your local MF dealer (7oaks hifi) and arranging a home demo since it is obviously a sound you like.

Of course, dealers will tend to only recommend what they sell too :)

Good luck and let your ears and not other peoples opinions guide you,

John.

JohnD76, Aug 30, 2005
  20. Ted

ErikfH

I just ordered the A5 pre- and power to replace a 308 integrated, despite the marketing hyperboles.

Crustyloafer owns the A5 and seemt to be content about it.

On Audioasylum there's a woman that compared the A5 power to the M250 mono blocks and she easily preferred the A5. She bought four of them for surround purposes.

ErikfH, Aug 30, 2005
Ask a Question