Which table would you want in your home?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lbr, Aug 9, 2008.

1. lbr

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Snoop

They look very effective.

Here are the acoustic treatments in my own place -

Wall panels:

[​IMG]

Bass traps:

[​IMG]

bottleneck, Aug 12, 2008
  2. lbr

Pure_Carbon Diamond Tipped.

I'm in the Diamond/jewellery trade, the top end that services the super rich is still booming and the bottom end Argos type market is still bouyant as the chavs still want their bling, but the middle market at the moment is on it's knees :mad:

Pure_Carbon, Aug 12, 2008
  3. lbr

Dalliance

Slightly off topic, but this thread seems to be rich in people who have Stillpoints experience...

Can anyone give me their evaluation of Stillpoints + risers against Finite Element Cerapucs or Cerabases?

I can home dem the FE stuff but can't try the Stillpoints. Any advice much appreciated.

Dalliance, Aug 13, 2008
  4. lbr

Corky 20th Century survivor

Buckinghamshire and soon moving to Yorkshire
    Makes sense Pure_Carbon - I count us as at the bottom of the middle I guess, and we're at full stretch to cover the absolute basics right now...

All my plans for my hi-fi have been put on hold
    :cry:

Corky, Aug 13, 2008
  5. lbr

Back on thread now; I could easily imagine spending more than £6k on craftsman made furniture - especially dining furniture - and equally on hi-fi support assuming I had kit that would benefit would the investment I guess.

The rest is taste and mine is probably a bit personal and potentially even eccentric, so wther I would pay 'that' amount for either of these particular items - even if I had it to spend - is a moot point...

My partner likes bags and shoes and I recently saw a cool looking bag on the Mulberry site and then realised it was very nearly £6,000! Again, in the right circumstances, it could be possible...

Is £1,000 too much to spend on a bottle of wine?

Is £25,000 too much to spend on a kitchen?

Is £2,000 too much to spend on a tv screen?

Is £20,000 too much to spend on a car?

The bliss of not having to make those choices! :D

Corky, Aug 13, 2008
  6. lbr

DavidF

Am I Bottom of the middle or bottom of the bottom?

I don't know.

My games with cones are now on the back burner because a) there are still issues with my parents place.......market crash etc etc, and b) the input of cash into the hobby......ironically supposed to (in the fist instance) to be saving me the dosh of dear equipment.....is no longer possible.

:cry:

Very much so!

Diesel has now soaked up my spare cash.....income;outgoings are now 1;1.

The couple of cans I have on my breaks are going to ahve to go.....see what thats does.

DavidF, Aug 13, 2008
  7. lbr

lbr monkey boy

I can't give a comparative evaluation, but I can say that I've found the effects of Stillpoints to be hugely variable depending on the equipment. Under my kit:

- hugely beneficial under my CD player;
    - marginally negative effect under my current power amps;
    - marginally negative effect under my old preamp and old power amp;
    - hugely negative effect under my phono stage.

Suck it and see is the only sensible advice I can give I'm afraid.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2008
    lbr, Aug 13, 2008
  8. lbr

Exhausting, isn't it?
    I was in the middle of some changes too.

I had some ideas for trying your oak and bearing approach in an isolation platform and have had to park that. All for another thread perhaps.

Corky, Aug 13, 2008
  9. lbr

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

what's normal? here's my rough feelings...

Is £1,000 too much to spend on a bottle of wine?
    Normal wine price £5 -
    200 times more expensive.

Is £25,000 too much to spend on a kitchen?
    Normal installed kitchen £6,000 inc appliances.
    4.2 times more expensive.

Is £2,000 too much to spend on a tv screen?
    Normal family telly £400.
    5 times more expensive.

Is £20,000 too much to spend on a car?
    normal car price £9000
    2.2 times more expensive.

mega stillpoint rack £6,500
    normal hifi rack £400
    16.25 times more expensive.

By my very rough calculations, the wine and the stillpoint rack stand out..

lies, damn lies, and statistics.

bottleneck, Aug 13, 2008
  10. lbr

DavidF

I see you got your proirities right BN

;)

DavidF, Aug 13, 2008
  11. lbr

Snoopdog

I use FE Cerabase, Cerapucs and Stillpoints+Risers in my system.

It depends on the application and the level of stability you require. For example Stillpoints+Risers beneath heavy loudspeakers can be very efective but a bit precarious due to the 'skating on ice' effect you can get by perching a component on top of three or four ceramic balls. In this context, Cerapucs would be a better choice, especially if you use M6 or M8 threaded rods to attach the Cerapucs to the loudspeaker or component. The advantage with Stillpoints+Risers is their ability to adjust level and I use them extensively underneath CD player, preamp, power amp and Vertex Elbrus balanced power supply.

I use Cerapucs beneath my Meridian DVD/Processor and via the threaded rods underneath a nordost Thor mains distribution box supplying the A/V side of the system.

I think Stillpoints are more discriminating in their effect which also seem cumulative, improving the system performance the more of them you use. They not only effect the leading edge of notes but also the decay, adding to the air around instruments and the transparency, focus and speed of the sound you hear through your loudspeakers. Common to all ceramic ball resonance control devices is the effect of lowering the system noise floor allowing the listener to better access the musical performance.

My vote would go to Stillpoints+Risers but you have to admire the engineering quality of the FE products.

Where are you located that you cannot home dem Stillpoints?

Snoopdog, Aug 13, 2008
  12. lbr

Dalliance

Snoopdog, IBR, thanks for the advice.

I should have said - I'm thinking about stillpoints vs cerapucs for my cd player.

I'm in Leeds by the way - I didn't think there were any stillpoints dealers around here...do you know of any?

Dalliance, Aug 13, 2008
  13. lbr

Dalliance

p.s. regarding the "skating on ice effect" with Stillpoints - I take you are fairly confident that you're CDP etc is not going to go for a Burton?

Dalliance, Aug 13, 2008
  14. lbr

lbr monkey boy

I have the same effect with my CD player (less so with the power amps as they weigh a ton). It's perfectly stable however provided there are no forces acting on it. If there was a fair chance in your room that the CD player could be knocked (kids or the like), I might think twice.

lbr, Aug 13, 2008
  15. lbr

Snoopdog

Not only 'fairly' confident, but very confident. My CDP weighs 15kgs, has a large base area and is very stable. My speakers weigh over 50kgs each and supporting them on a trio of Stillpoints+Risers on carpet would be inherently unstable. That was the point I was making, that in that application, Cerapucs would be a better option IMHO.

Snoopdog, Aug 14, 2008
  16. lbr

titian

Yes I can give you my evaluation but I'm afraid it depends on many factors and very probably will not be so relevant for your application.

I use mostly the Cerabases that means under the Pagode MR racks, the tube amplifiers, the Krell amplifier, the turntable, the speaker stands and the tube preamp.
    The Stillpoints I use under the Aesthetix phono preamp.
    Under Subwoofers I use the Valid points from Walker audio since neither the other two convinced me.
    Under my Metronome-Technologie equipments (DAC + CD transporter + power units) I don't use anything except for the factory spikes. They sound the best.

titian, Aug 14, 2008
  17. lbr

DavidF

Yes, I think thats right.

I think these things are often pretty specific to individual systems.

DavidF, Aug 14, 2008
  18. lbr

lbr monkey boy

To individual components within a system IME!

lbr, Aug 14, 2008
  19. lbr

titian

And another thing I would like to say for those who might see in this thread a big necessity to buy the different things mentioned here, is that you should relativize the sonic difference you can achieve with these things.
    I'm not sure if everybody would be able to hear the "huge" sound difference. I'm quite sure that not many would pass a serious blindtest. Well of course, discussions on the validity of such tests have been done so often and we do not need to do them again. But I mention them to give you an idea how "huge" the sound difference could be.
    And considering that and the price you have to pay for such "gadgets" you might be much better off buying a better (for your sound perception) loudspeaker or a acoustic treatment or even positioning the whole system optimally in the room. But for those who have already invested tons of pounds in their system 10K more or less wouldn't make very probably much difference and maybe choosing to purchase these accessories will be the better solution than getting a new unit. ;)

titian, Aug 16, 2008
  20. lbr

Purite Audio Purite Audio

You would think that equipment manufacturers would make their equipment independant of support.

Purite Audio, Aug 16, 2008
Ask a Question