White Stripes - Under Blackpool Lights

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Uncle Ants, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Blimey. What can I say. I got this at Christmas, just in time for my DVD player to turn turtle :rolleyes: but last night Auntie finally got her new Mac setup (nice top of the range PowerMac G5 with an excellent 19" TFT monitor - I'm jealous) and we decided to watch this DVD on it.

An absolutely stunning performance. I've been to see the Stripes 4 or 5 times now and they are always a winner, but you never really get to see what's going on that well. Jesus that boy Jack White can play guitar. Talk about intense - we were sitting there just watching it with our mouths open. When he played Death Letter Auntie nearly fell off the chair.

Loved the way it was all filmed on Super 8 as well. It makes it feel like some long lost footage from the late 60s.

Get this DVD - you won't regret it.

PS. I really wish Jack White would stop wearing those Jester trousers though. Really, we don't need to see quite so prominently that he dresses to the left.

Uncle Ants, Apr 7, 2005
  2. Uncle Ants

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Man - saw them at Brixton Academy, January 2004 - BLOODY HELL - they ROCKED!!!!!

Am gonna try to be at my mate's in Reading during the fest - I HAVE to try to get a ticket off a tout and see both the Stripes AND Pixies :)

domfjbrown, Apr 14, 2005
  3. Uncle Ants

Oh yes. One of the best live experiences youn are ever likely to come across. First saw them at Shepherds Bush back in 01 and several times since. Its hair on the back of the neck stuff I tell ya :D

Uncle Ants, Apr 14, 2005
  4. Uncle Ants

lordsummit moderate mod

I saw them at Leeds last year and thought they were very poor, and tbh rather boring. I'd pay money to avoid watching them again! The Pixies are awesome though. One of the best bands I've ever seen

lordsummit, Apr 14, 2005
  5. Uncle Ants

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Could that be down to the fact that some bands are crap in large arenas? PJ Harvey and Morrissey at Glastonbury last year spring to mind (neither was CRAP, but you got the feeling they "could do better"; Moz woke up about half way thru' "Every day is like Sunday" and the rest of his set was excellent. PJ Harvey'd be blinding at the Bridport Arts Centre, but not sure I'd want to see her again at a large venue/fest...

domfjbrown, Apr 14, 2005
  6. Uncle Ants

lordsummit moderate mod

I guess it could be. I saw Mozzer at Leeds and he was on stonking form, as were the New York Dolls. The only disappointmet for me was the White Stripes. Shame really as I'd looked forward to it. It didn't help that Molly blatantly can't play the drums.

lordsummit, Apr 14, 2005
  7. Uncle Ants

Could be. I didn't see the Stripes all the way through the set at Leeds. A brain searing headache ensued about midway through Mozzers set - probably due to a friend persuading me - "you should try smoking some this Salvia stuff - it really good" :rolleyes: . Duh! By the time the Stripes came on I wasn't in the mood for anything other than a nice lie down. The Stripes certainly can do the festival thing as a previous outing at Glasto went to show.

I tend to think of it more as a case of "No one can play the drums quite like she can" :D Some would say her technique is somewhat unique.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2005
    Uncle Ants, Apr 15, 2005
  8. Uncle Ants

Anex Thermionic

Yeah that or Jack blatantly can't write songs ;)

Anex, Apr 15, 2005
  9. Uncle Ants

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I can't watch Molly without thinking of Dawn French's impersonation...!

bottleneck, Apr 15, 2005
  10. Uncle Ants

Oooh don't. I wonder how much Megs drumstool would fetch on ebay ? :JPS:

Uncle Ants, Apr 15, 2005
Ask a Question