who makes custom sized speaker stands?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, May 11, 2005.

1. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi!

Anybody know a company that makes cheap and rigid speaker stands to custom sizes?

thanks

bottleneck, May 11, 2005
  2. bottleneck

Rory satisfied

Something Solid...not terribly cheap though- a bit over a ton IIRC

Rory, May 12, 2005
  3. bottleneck

analoguekid Planet Rush

Go to a local blcksmith Chris and tell him what you want. No silly audiophool prices then.

analoguekid, May 12, 2005
  4. bottleneck

ListeningEar

Contact Noteworthy Audio in Aylesbury, Tony or Peter will advise on whether they have any special offers on the Something Solid stands, they often do.

01296 422224

ListeningEar, May 12, 2005
  5. bottleneck

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Another vote for Something Solid - I had a pair of their top-line XF stands custom built for my Harbeths and they are superb. The cost was 175 quid inc delivery via Signals. I'd say that was damn good value once you see how much welding goes into the things. They sound very much better than the high mass Target stands I had previously (in fact still have if anyone wants to buy them!).

Tony.

TonyL, May 12, 2005
  6. bottleneck

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Chris
    How high do you need? As I have a pair of Something Solid I no longer need (15 inches high)

LiloLee, May 13, 2005
  7. bottleneck

hi Lee!

its not the height so much, its the size - the speakers are about 3 feet wide by a foot deep.. (I can measure if you have a massive pair of stands?)

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, May 13, 2005
  8. bottleneck

merlin

Chris,

The Valencias are 26" wide by 18" deep IIRC. I would personally expect them to perform best on something mass loaded - they don't need opening up which is what the SS stands seem to do.

The Atacama SL series would be a cheap alternative. Wrong width but sturdy and you could place a paving slab on top. Aestetics might not really be to your tastes though ( although the Valencias are not exactly the Kylie Minogue of loudspeakers I'm sure you would agree!)

merlin, May 13, 2005
  9. bottleneck

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Sounds like you would need more than mine (12x12x15inches)

You could try planters (large plant pots) 2 low level coffee tables from IKEA maybe.

Good luck

LiloLee, May 13, 2005
  10. bottleneck

I just wanted to post up that Id found my solution.

I want to put the details on the forum because its quite possible that somebody else might want a similar job doing one day.

I wanted to get a custom made pair of speaker stands.

My philosophy on stands (before we get a war), is just that it must be 1. rigid as hell 2. very solid 3. not 'ring' 4. have spikes on the bottom so that I can get rid of any rocking 5. be exactly the right shape and size to put the cones just where I want them 6. look great.

I got some prices from something solid and others, but they were coming in around the 400 mark.

I should add that these speakers are LARGE, about the size of a "40 CRT telly.

Something solid were the best priced of the professional makes, with HNE coming in with a very respectable price when we consider I'd be swapping metal for granite, which is so much dearer.

My search ended when I found a local cabinet maker. I think I got really lucky in my selection. The guy in question used to make speakers (back in the day when people bought drive units and then had cabinets made), he is skilled enough to make acoustic guitars (and thats frikin hard), restore and make beautiful furniture etc, so I knew the quality should be good. He also has a valve amp (whats the likelihood of that?!?!) so was right with me when I said what I wanted. He'd even heard of Altec Lansing.

Right now I have a pair of stands that look so nice you could use them as coffee tables (if I ever sell the speakers, I will!). They are spiked on the bottom. The legs are solid ash, about 3 inches square. The top is has been veneered, although its MDF underneath - for price and stability). The whole thing was stained to the colour I wanted, and finished with a really thin laquer that looks like a rubbed/oiled finish. Again, just what I wanted.

I'll try and get some photos up if I borrow a digital camera one day.

The price was definately the right side of £200 (for 2 obviously), which I think is a hell of a bargain.

Anyway, I wanted to describe the quality of the work and put the guys details up, because if you live not a million miles away and want furniture made, or speaker stands, or a hi-fi rack (and you want it made out of wood of some type) this guy is worth speaking to.

Malcolm Williamson Fine Woodworking
    24, Connaught St, Northampton, Northamptonshire NN1 3BP
    Tel: 01604 635356

bottleneck, Jun 15, 2005
  11. bottleneck

Snoopdog

Snoopdog, Jun 16, 2005
Ask a Question