Why are some MC carts so bloody expensive??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Dynamic Turtle, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Dynamic Turtle

Richard Dunn

What nonsense, are you a retailer? I was complaining about no-one. I was replying to a post asking why things were so expensive and explaining the system that is the status quo that explained it.

Dinosaurs always try to hang on to their place in the sun for as long as possible, human nature.

Regarding my mark up there is no comparison. How much work is involved in manufacturer compared with something sitting on a shelf in a box and talking to customers and showing it to them. Like comparing making wine with selling lemonade. What about all the design work with no direct return, what about all the production planning, what about all your component stocks. Different fettle of kish :D Anyway the price quoted was to retail i.e. buy it now, if there is an auction it is 25% down on that.

Richard

Richard Dunn, Aug 9, 2006
  2. Dynamic Turtle

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

OK, it appears this thread has decided to focus on mark-ups, which while no doubt a large factor in final price, doesn't explain the BASIS for the "factory gate" cost of these devices. I want to learn more about the amount of labour involved, how they source components, cost of materials & machinery. How long it takes to design a new cart, test it, the failure rate. Time spent listening & tweaking the design (this must take ages).

This is before we get to the juicy mark-ups applied at retail/distributor level. Clearly there is potential (seeing as this is such a low-volume enterprise at this price level) for high costs. I don't bemoan this. I simply want to know what generates these costs!

I do have the Hi-Fi+ VdH interview tucked away somewhere. Might be worth reading again to see how he goes about his business.....

DT

Tones, I agree that Daniels is considered the "Godfather" of modern horology. There is no shortage of extremely talented folk lined up to claim his crown though - Dr. Ludwig Oeschlin, Michael Parmigiani, Vianni Halter, F.P. Journe, Phillipe Dufour, R.G. Smith, Paul Gerber, Richard Mille.....

Dynamic Turtle, Aug 9, 2006
  3. Dynamic Turtle

DennyL

I am interested to see that that watch 'belongs to 'the illustrious category of Grandes Complications'. I actually have a few candidates for inclusion in that category. :Quad:

DennyL, Aug 9, 2006
  4. Dynamic Turtle

tones compulsive cantater

There's no official definition as to what constitutes a "grande complication", but this is probably on the money:

http://www.europastar.com/europastar/watch_tech/nicolet7.jsp

tones, Aug 9, 2006
  5. Dynamic Turtle

nando nando

hi guys, as a dealer i always get distributers to lend me dem stock so i could lend them out to potential buyrs, however, if goods are damaged by couriers that's no problem as they are insured the problem arises if the goods get damaged by the client, if so the responsibilty has to be theirs therefore they should pay for the goods,as far as home dems i am all for it.regards nando

nando, Aug 10, 2006
  6. Dynamic Turtle

DennyL

My God! I didn't realise the phrase 'grandes complications' had so much meaning!

DennyL, Aug 10, 2006
  7. Dynamic Turtle

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

well, as the name implies, it's all very complicated....

Dynamic Turtle, Aug 10, 2006
Ask a Question