Why can't I re-terminate speaker cable and use it as an IC?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Alex S, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Alex S

Alex S User

It'd be cheaper.

I've looked at DNM and Isolda and as far as I can tell the only difference is the ICs are smaller and more expensive pm.

Alex

PS I'm happy to be told how stupid the idea is; I don't know much about electrons.

Alex S, Jan 12, 2004
  2. Alex S

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Surely the major difference is that most interconnects are shielded whilst speaker cable is not?

MartinC, Jan 12, 2004
  3. Alex S

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Alex, isolda I/c's (which aint that clever, I used to swear by them, but a session with A/Z sorted that out), are basicaly, 1 standard dct width speaker cable split along it's length & 2 strips per single i/c, so in essence, 1m s/cable makes one pair, of I/C. Wm
    Aledgelly I might add :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2004
    wadia-miester, Jan 12, 2004
  4. Alex S

penance Arrogant Cock

AFAIK, the DNM reson stuff is the same.
    No idea about the others tho.

Interesting question Alex, would like to hear a deffinitive answer

penance, Jan 12, 2004
  5. Alex S

Alex S User

Right, WM! I guess the plugs cost about the same so why is the speaker cable 50 quid pm and the ICs whatever they are - market forces? The gullibility of people like me? I don't needed shielded cables particularly.

One reason I asked this Q is because logic told me to replace my tiny DNM jumpers with spare DNM mains lead instead - bigger, better, far cheaper - perhaps I could use T&E as signal cable.

Alex S, Jan 12, 2004
  6. Alex S

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Alex, methinks you'll get good bass (big and full, bit slow though), rolled off top & maybe muddy mids, but wait!!! Alex, sorry mate I'm giving a load of marco, cables are a crock of pooley, shite busted :D Wm
    Just to show I'm not favouring anybody here, Nordost eldarado Power cables, if you up pick them you can get 2 pairs of quattro Qil I/C's at $£$£$$, common one I no but there you go.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2004
    wadia-miester, Jan 12, 2004
  7. Alex S

Tenson Moderator

I think you will find you need shielded cables more than you think! Just imagine all those broadcasted radio station waves getting into ur audio signal :S Never mind passing mains wires (in the wall? Under floor?) and then the T.V. signals and the local cab radios… blah blah blah….

Think of it like this….. why would you need a thicker conductored i.c.?? It only has to transmit a matter if mill volts!! The important thing is doing it without any distortion.

Cheers,

Tenson, Jan 13, 2004
  8. Alex S

jtc

Can't speak for the Isolda...

But neither the Reson i/c or the speaker cable is shielded. The only difference is the cross section of the solid core copper and the spacing between the two solid core conductors.

So, I can't see any major reason why the speaker cable couldn't be used as an i/c.

jtc

jtc, Jan 13, 2004
  9. Alex S

BL21DE3 aka 'Lucky'

Alex S - strangely your idea of turning DNM speaker cable into an IC is precisely what I did only a month or so ago. I got myself a 1.5m run of cable and then a set of Eichmann Bullets. This was in response to having a home demo of a Cyrus interconnect, which was basically a DNM reson IC with bullets and a nice fabric braid over the top. And I was buggered if I was going to pay £80-90 for something I could DIY for £32. My only words of caution would be that the DNM speaker cable is not quite as flexible as the IC stuff and it was a bit of a bugger trying to get it into the bullets (though a vice and a second pair of hands helped greatly :D). But the end result is good and I prefer my DIY job to the Qunex 2 I was running before, having done the good old A/B/A/B testing to see if there was a difference in sound or whether it was all in my head. So I say give it a bash, after all I reckoned that if my DIY job wasn't up to it I still had a set of Eichmanns for a future project/tweak.

P.S If you do decide to go for it and want any advice etc. please feel free to contact me.

BL21DE3, Jan 13, 2004
Ask a Question