Why do I keep doing silly things?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Apr 16, 2004.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I tried using that Rotel 870BX preamp on my turntbale again and it sounded very dull and bassy. I realised that it could not designed to so und like this so I took it apart. I didn't notice anything but when I was screwing it back together I noticed a swtich on the casing it that was set to moving coil! I can't believe I didn't notice this 4 months ago! Anyway I have my turntable connected to it now and it sounds brilliant much better than the preamp in my Marantz PM6010OSE.

This just gives me more faith in older HIFI. Maybe may next upgrade should be a couple of 100wpc mono blocks:)

amazingtrade, Apr 16, 2004
  2. amazingtrade

MikeD Militant Nutter

*points and giggles like a schoolgirl* :D :NADowner:

MikeD, Apr 16, 2004
  3. amazingtrade

Lt Cdr Data om

this sort of thing is SO easy to do.

I had a real blunder, I have a feedback switch on my 300bse monoblocs, and one amp was considerably louder than the other.
    i thought an expensive valve was on the way out, then maybe the transformer was knackered, the rectifer, no that was ok, tried swapping all the valves, nope.

Then I noticed I had knocked the feedback switch on one of them on, I usually use them off. I flipped it up, and back came the glorious tonal colour and dynamics again. it just shows how we make something simple out to be far more than it is. DOH

Lt Cdr Data, Apr 16, 2004
  4. amazingtrade

MikeD Militant Nutter

it's true of all enthusiasts and techies :)

the simplest solution is never the first thing we try ;)

MikeD, Apr 16, 2004
  5. amazingtrade

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

erm yep even those of us who play with sound systems for a living can make simple mistakes,olny today" someone" forgot to change over one of the multicores from the control room position to the front of house position(reversing a mulipin connector )and then spent sevral minutes trying to fathom out why there was no signal from the keyboards and a couple of mics :eek:

themadhippy, Apr 17, 2004
  6. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

5 Years ago i got a Rega P9 for 1K.
    Took it home and it sounded shite, took it back on the Monday, they said it was fine. I kicked up and got my cash back.
    Got home and realised i had dome exactly the same thing, was to embarrassed to go and buy the deck again, wish i had!

penance, Apr 17, 2004
Ask a Question