Why is everything on eBay BIN these days?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Dynamic Turtle, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Dynamic Turtle

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

I've noticed a serious change in the composition of eBay auctions, where very little £500+ hifi gear is actually sold in an auction format. 80% of listings appear to be BIN, which really defeats the object of running an auction site. The "best offer" function is good, but not an alternative to a competitive start price.

Sorry, but it's really p*ssing me off!

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 3, 2009
  2. Dynamic Turtle

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Ebay is dead. I believe Ebay changed the structure of the listing pricing, making it much cheaper to list as a 'buy it now'. They want to make it into a shop,rather than an auction site.

Purite Audio, Apr 3, 2009
  3. Dynamic Turtle

nando nando

i used to be on ebay during the last four years, got barred by paypal who now runs ebay because i refused paypal charges as well as ebay's 100 % record 288 sales code name fulcrom0_1
    it sucks,
    nando.

nando, Apr 9, 2009
  4. Dynamic Turtle

Ian Sampson

Wrong way round nando.Ebay bought paypal so any wrongdoings on Paypals' account is/has to be with the full and implicit authority of Ebay.

Best wishes
    Ian

Ian Sampson, Apr 9, 2009
  5. Dynamic Turtle

mr cat Member of the month

ebay don't want the likes of you and me selling bits and pieces - their ceo said they want ebay to be an online mall...

hence the charges for auctions going up and more tat now veing sold...

but...if you look at it from their point of view - they're probably as sick of scammers ad we are and I'm guessing they just want the likes of online shops and power sellers on there...

mr cat, Apr 9, 2009
  6. Dynamic Turtle

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

How the worm has turned!

wadia-miester, Apr 9, 2009
  7. Dynamic Turtle

nando nando

as have used ebay for over five years, i had made a pact with all my suppliers not to sell curent stock on the site, witch is fair, all of the items i have sold were discontinued bran new and just passed on the deals to people who were after a bargain, and that worked well on three sides, now i am still doing well via this forum , word of mouth, and web,
    nando

nando, Apr 10, 2009
  8. Dynamic Turtle

RobHolt Moderator

I treat ebay as a shop, a discount warehouse type place for new goods and a huge second hand shop for music and audio kit.

Look at the typical stock holding of a decent used hi-fi dealer and you find that eBay is several orders of magnitude larger. It's a giant used audio shop in the sky, forget all this auction nonsense. If you see something you like, decide what you can pay (max) and bid that just before the 'auction' closes.

Still cheaper to buy on eBay than a conventional used audio retailer IME.

RobHolt, Apr 10, 2009
  9. Dynamic Turtle

nando nando

hi rob, what about after sales service? hardly existant i can assure you,
    nando.

nando, Apr 11, 2009
  10. Dynamic Turtle

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Nando,

Yes I agree - after sales is often very poor. I guess you must balance this against any cost saving.

Ultimately, if buying a new product that is still in production it is far better to use an authorised dealer in order to obtain the benefits of warranty and service. For me, the real advantage of eBay is access to long discontinued kit - stuff that I used to drool over and couldn't afford many years ago :)

regards,

RobHolt, Apr 11, 2009
  11. Dynamic Turtle

nando nando

Rob, that is exactly what i was doing and still want to do , but they will no longer allowe me to, as i don't use credit cards only debit was their excuse not to let me trade??? one of them does not what the other one does, i thinks! go to compare the meerkat.com i think.
    regards nando.

nando, Apr 11, 2009
  12. Dynamic Turtle

Nomoretweaks Tourist on tilt

With years I see less and less sense in buying new. Used gear sounds better and cost less. Ebay saved me thousands of pounds and months of burning-in.

Nomoretweaks, Apr 12, 2009
  13. Dynamic Turtle

I've noticed a distinct lack of interesting kit on there in the last three months. Just the same old tat (Unidisk SC anyone?) at the same BINs, going round and round and round. I guess private sellers have given up and buyers like me aren't interested in BINs, which are rarely good value.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 14, 2009
  14. Dynamic Turtle

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Ebay sucks IMHO. Just invoiced me £30 on a £500 item that didn't even sell. Thanks again you little Swiss misers, guess what I won't be auctioning again!

I think their new rules that mean sellers can't criticise buyers who to be fair can be complete tools on occasion have put a LOT of people off. You must also list paypal as a source of payment.

I suspect people are leaving in numbers if this forum is anything to go by and BIN at least guarantees a sale price rather than a low ball bid that just clears a reserve.

SMEagol, Apr 14, 2009
  15. Dynamic Turtle

Yeah I think the "no NFB for buyers" and mandatory paypal policy makes the situation even more annoying. I'm surprised that a company like eBay is changing some very fundamental aspects of what made it such a success in the first place. When you've found a magic formula, don't tinker with it!

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 15, 2009
  16. Dynamic Turtle

Haselsh1 Shaun H

Given the profit margin on new Hi-Fi equipment I would much rather buy mint secondhand gear. There's shedloads on ebay usually but I do agree, there are just far too many shops there now. I think it's outstayed its welcome.​

Haselsh1, Apr 21, 2009
  17. Dynamic Turtle

Seeker_UK

Time for someone to open up a cheap auction site then....;)

Seeker_UK, Apr 21, 2009
  18. Dynamic Turtle

la toilette Downright stupid

Abso-bloody-lutely!

A real competitor is now overdue. A year or two ago I would have said that ebay had it all sewn up, but there are enough people fed up with the increasingly unfavourable cost/feedback/paypal/BIN changes that perhaps there is finally an opportunity for a rival site to break through.

Why ebay felt it had to continually tweak things when it was so successful I don't know, but I think they've overdone it. If I want to buy something for a fixed price, particularly if it's a new item, then I can usually find a better deal on Amazon or even in the High Street, and the last few bits and bobs I've sold I've done so elsewhere.

Mind you, I still pick up 2nd hand CD's on ebay for pennies, so I do still browse it quite often :eek:.

la toilette, Apr 21, 2009
  19. Dynamic Turtle

Seeker_UK

Lucky old you. Sod's law, the ones I want are lots of pennies :mad:

Seeker_UK, Apr 21, 2009
  20. Dynamic Turtle

whitelemon

They probably changed it as so many people got caught out on auctions by those damn snipers that take the bargain at the last few seconds. I dont think they'll ever truely get rid of the auction system though, that would be suicidal I think.

whitelemon, Apr 22, 2009
Ask a Question