Why should the church be exempt?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by I-S, Oct 18, 2004.

1. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Imagine the case of a large business employer, who very publicly passes over and refuses for promotion both women and homosexuals.

That court case would be over so fast that it'd probably get caught by the nearest four gatsos and be banned.

So why, in this day and age is the church not only promoting such policies, but the real question is why are they allowed to get away with it?

I-S, Oct 18, 2004
  2. I-S

julian2002 Muper Soderator

do you know how much clout the church has? it probably (as a 'corporate' body) owns more land in the world than the queen and most of the house of lords combined. they have their own country ffs (vatican city) and there are still some poeple out there who will their estate to the church. now THAT is power. a bit of a pc or paedophillia law suit is nothing.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 18, 2004
  3. I-S

voodoo OdD

And don't forget that the church has a long history of washing over 'kiddy fiddling' and letting that pass under the bridge without punishment.

voodoo, Oct 18, 2004
  4. I-S

Of course, being gay is a sin :rolleyes: but playing with kids isn't?

I-S, Oct 18, 2004
  5. I-S

penance Arrogant Cock

The Vatican has a 'Secret Archive' (yes the actualy named it that!), No-one apart from high order Vatican bods can access it, apparently it mostly contains reports of RC priests involved with incorrect sexual practices and priests practicing black magic. When they can run their own house properly they *might* be in a position to tell us how to run our lives.

penance, Oct 18, 2004
  6. I-S

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Yeah, its alright as long as the kids are girls :D

PBirkett, Oct 18, 2004
  7. I-S

Lt Cdr Data om

why do choirboys have centre partings?
    nice boy...they get stroked when doing the belt kissing thing :D

Lt Cdr Data, Oct 18, 2004
  8. I-S

johnhunt recidivist

issac - you need to get out more
    birkett - you too

johnhunt, Oct 18, 2004
  9. I-S

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I bet I go out a lot more than you pal.

PBirkett, Oct 18, 2004
  10. I-S

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

im afraid to go out in case god strikes me down with a bolt of lightning after having my mind infultrated with such postings..

rob, Oct 19, 2004
  11. I-S

Dev Moderator

I'm amazed at the level of criticism aimed at the Church for it's stance on homosexuality. What else do you expect? In any other major religion it wouldn't even be discussed. Simply to mention the subject would be a death warrant (literally in some parts of the world) for the unfortunate individual. Every religion that I know of promotes heterosexuality and large families. It's a way of preserving the religion or even expanding it. Given what the religions preach, would it not be hypocritical for them to accept homosexuality?

I hope it's obvious that I'm not trying to offend anyone's views or sexual prefences here (or even defending the sickening abuses that go on) but just asking why they expect the Church to be any diffrent? They simply wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't preach what in their view God wants them to preach.

Dev, Oct 19, 2004
  12. I-S

auric FOSS

If the church in the UK is exempt from descrimination & employment law then as we are now entering the party manifesto season prior to the next election it may be good time for a single issue party with a fair deal of public support to stand across the country upon a platform of reforming this aspect of the church. Some such single issue parties seem to be adopting this method of seeking to have a law amended. Another form of action may be to get this included on a partry manifesto remembering though once elected a manifesto is often not worth the paper it is written on.

auric, Oct 19, 2004
  13. I-S

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Homosexuals have been present in large numbers in every population on Earth for which records exist for at least the last 10,000 years. Homosexuality is a normally-occurring natural phenomenon. Now if God created the Earth and Man, as the various churches of the world would have us believe, then homosexuality must have been part of God's grand design. In declaring homosexuality sinful or an abomination or whatever, these churches are putting themselves above God and saying they know better. To proclaim these declarations as the word of God is just plain dishonest and shows what a sham all the churches of the world are. They exist for one purpose and one purpose only - to control human populations for the benefit of a few elite individuals, be they bishops or clerics or whatever.

Slowly but surely, the more advanced populations of this planet are waking up to the fact that the churches of the world are a sham and religion itself is a sham. One day we will free ourselves from its shackles completely.

technobear, Oct 19, 2004
  14. I-S

Dev Moderator

Chris,

I can't argue with any of your points but all I wanted to say was that perhaps accepting homosexuality as normal God given phenomenon (?) might go against what they are expected to preach. Also Christianity is at least debating the issue.

Dev, Oct 19, 2004
  15. I-S

julian2002 Muper Soderator

to me a religion offers a 'manual' if you like for living your life. the problem is that these manuals were written thousands of years ago and much of what they espouse is totally irrelevant to the modern world. unfortunately as these manuals are presented as 'the word of god' there are issues with modernising them. this means that they must be 're-interpreted' which opens them up the the private agendas of those doing the interpreting.
    don't get me wrong though, some of the stuff in these 'manuals' is still a good idea e.g. 'love thy neighbor' or 'do as thou wilt, but let it harm none' are as valid today as they ever were and if people lived by just these rules then the world would be a much nicer place.
    i personally find organised religion to be most of the things that people dislike about religion (especially in the small village where i grew up, politics and backbitting are rife) however a private spirituality and respect is a different matter all together.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 19, 2004
  16. I-S

wolfgang

Peadophils have been present in large numbers in every population on Earth for which records exist for at least the last 10,000 years. Pedophilia is a normally-occurring natural phenomenon. Now if God created the Earth and Man, as the various churches of the world would have us believe, then Pedophilia must have been part of God's grand design. In declaring Pedophilia sinful or an abomination or whatever, these churches are putting themselves above God and saying they know better. To proclaim these declarations as the word of God is just plain dishonest and shows what a sham all the churches of the world are. They exist for one purpose and one purpose only - to control human populations for the benefit of a few elite individuals, be they bishops or clerics or whatever.

Slowly but surely, the more advanced populations of this planet are waking up to the fact that the churches of the world are a sham and religion itself is a sham. One day we will free ourselves from its shackles completely.

Ps I thought if you replace a single word in your suggestion above would you still think it is still valid?

wolfgang, Oct 19, 2004
  17. I-S

Dev Moderator

Paedophilia is at least condemned by the churches, so not the same issue as descriminating against women and gays.

Dev, Oct 19, 2004
  18. I-S

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I agree with TB, religion is a load of crap anyway, undoubtedly causing wars, and it all seems rather archaic to me.

Each to their own, though.

PBirkett, Oct 19, 2004
  19. I-S

Chris - Can't disagree

Wolfgang- no, I don't think that is still valid. Homosexuality in this context is a harmless activity between two consenting adults. Paedophilia is not harmless, not consensual, etc. The hurt and damage caused to one person goes against the scriptures, so by declaring paedophilia an abomination the churches are not putting themselves above god nor saying they know better.

I-S, Oct 19, 2004
  20. I-S

wolfgang

Good point. Lets more it a bit further. So if the practise is done with the children and families consent then it would be acceptable then?

wolfgang, Oct 19, 2004
Ask a Question