Why so deathly quiet here??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Arkless Electronics, Jan 23, 2024.

1. Arkless Electronics

Hodges

Arkless - get over it! It's not going to change. Very few of my school friends went into engineering, the bulk going for the Arts. They taught two - three generations of kids since our college days, the bulk of them avoiding engineering too! So the odds are stacked against those who have more than a smattering of interest in how it all works. Seems like society simply wants everything done for it - hence the number of foreign workers. not only do they have a work ethic, but they actually are very well educated. Either one of those virtues would carry anyone through.

Seneca quoted a story where a craftsman was asked, "Why spend so much time seeking perfection when very few will ever see it?" The craftsman replied, "Very few will be sufficient. Indeed, one would suffice. Were it none, then that too would be enough".

No one ever understands what effort someone else puts into their "Art", so praise from those who know little is meaningless - patronizing. Take pride in what you do, but don't expect any recognition for it. Pursuit of praise is not the reason why "Artists" do what they do. Indeed, they are never happy with their work. It is at the core of what makes them "Artists"

Hodges, Jun 26, 2024
  2. Arkless Electronics

Hodges

What like, we continue to take in well qualified foreign workers to make up for the lack of qualified "Natives" and anyone who has been unemployed for more than six months, or refuses to work, we ship them off to Ruanda?

Hodges, Jun 26, 2024
  3. Arkless Electronics

Hodges

There is no such thing as "Good Civilised Societies". We don't do politics, we exercise Bigotry.

As for religion, Casanova said, "I will live as an atheist and die a Christian, for it is only then that I will have need of God".

Hodges, Jun 26, 2024
  4. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics

Erm ... no. I would however have sent to Rwanda all who would have others sent to Rwanda! Starting with Fartrage!

Arkless Electronics, Jun 26, 2024
  5. Arkless Electronics

Hodges

So we would have a lot of empty seats in the House of Commons.

Hodges, Jun 26, 2024
  6. Arkless Electronics

Hodges

That should help the deficit. And all future politicians elected on an unsalaried basis - That will give a good indication of how sincere they always are about "Public Service". Anyone seeking office should be automatically barred from it.

Hodges, Jun 26, 2024
  7. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics

There's a great bit in the superb "Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" about "anyone capable of having themselves made president must be permanently barred from politics" or something on those lines... Zaphod Beeblebrox ends up president of the galaxy but is eventually replaced by some wise old tramp living in a space scrap yard and who does not know he is president (IIRC selected as the least political and least power hungry person in the universe), hence has "no skin in the game". He is visited by officials who ask his advice... which is then enacted as policy.... something like that anyway (years since I read it).

Unsalaried MP's is a bad idea as it takes us back to the old days when indeed they were not salaried, which lead to only the very rich who didn't need the money being MP's! They should be completely banned from second jobs or indeed second incomes from any source. ALL lobbying should also be banned. It frankly beggars belief that eg a multinational pharmaceutical company can legally wine and dine MP's in order to "persuade" them to vote in their interests.

Arkless Electronics, Jun 26, 2024
  8. Arkless Electronics

Hodges

Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

"Unsalaried MP's is a bad idea as it takes us back to the old days when indeed they were not salaried, which lead to only the very rich who didn't need the money being MP's!" - Isn't that what we have now? A Tory MP who is so well heeled that the only thing he can think of is "Rooking" the Public Purse to install a hut on his pond, for his ducks!

Do they lead lives which reflect the those of their constituents? Are any of them to be found, queuing at food banks along with nurses? It is morally repugnant that any politician should claim the price of a cup of tea!

Perhaps Parliament should re-locate to Sheffield, or Hartlepool, where it can be installed in the closed Steel Industries Works, or some empty factories and our political luminaries can live in ex - council houses. That should get the cost of governing Britain down a tad!

It seems to me, MP's salaries are just a nice little bonus, to top up on their "Extra Curricular" work, devoted to making the wealthy more wealthy; and earning considerable Baksheesh, from their grateful Patrons.

Hodges, Jun 27, 2024
  9. Arkless Electronics

Hodges

"Can't be done", no doubt would be the response. But it Can!

On holiday in Rome, I asked a city guide if she could point out where it was the Julius Caesar was murdered. "I will show you later" she said, which she repeated several times as we toured the City.

Eventually we came to a location where a relatively modern - yet ancient theatre stood. "There", she said, explaining fires were not uncommon and in the case of the Forum, it had temporarily moved location while the buildings were repaired.

So, let's take a leaf out of History and "Decentralize Government", permanently. And move Wembley Stadium to Birmingham, where 98% of the country's supporters can get to, rather than provide virtually exclusive rights to International Football matches to those inside the M25.

Hodges, Jun 27, 2024
  10. Arkless Electronics

Hodges

Great debate between Biden and Trump - I think not! Didn't Biden's father teach him, "Never enter into a Battle of Wits with a Totally Unarmed Man"?

Trump shouldn't have bothered to turn up. The media should simply have supplied the broadcast recordings of the Litany of Lies he has been spinning since he lost the last Election.

I can see why he and Farage get on so well - like a couple of book-ends holding together a shelf of fantasy novels and calling it their reference library.

Hodges, Jun 28, 2024
  11. Arkless Electronics

Sergeauckland

Whilst I appreciate the posts in getting some traffic through this forum, wouldn't it be better to post about audio rather than politics?

S

Sergeauckland, Jun 28, 2024
  12. Arkless Electronics

Hodges

Is there much more, of consequence to discus about HiFi? Can't see much to keep this Forum going in that regard. I can confirm however, neither Trump or Farage sound any better, through my Sugden/909 or Spendors. Or do we need to get back to directional fuses?

Hodges, Jun 28, 2024
  13. Arkless Electronics

Hodges

Quote "There are so many platforms, where folks can make their views known about issues other than HiFi, cars, etc, etc. So much so, folks talk themselves out."

In the short time I have been on this Forum, I have tried to stimulate a bit of HiFi Chit-chat, with Arkless doing his best to hold his end up. But it is like flogging a dead horse. Thinking to myself, "Ok, so there is little interest in that direction, lets see if there is any life still out there about other issues". Clearly not! Only Arkless seems to be awake - unless of course he is an AI Entity?

So, I would suggest, whoever owns this forum, should dress it up as a thriving community, then flog it for a tanner.

Only joking - but someone needs to get - a - grip.

Hodges, Jun 28, 2024
    Sergeauckland likes this.
  14. Arkless Electronics

Sergeauckland

Couldn't agree more.

It's utterly bizarre why anyone should buy this forum, presumably paid something for it, then totally ignore it.

S.

Hodges likes this.
  15. Arkless Electronics

Hodges

Credo at dinner parties perhaps?

Hodges, Jun 28, 2024
  16. Arkless Electronics

Sergeauckland

Possibly, but it's an odd dinner party where others would be impressed by somebody owning an audio forum. Do 'civilians' even know what audio and HiFi is these days?

S.

17. Arkless Electronics

Sergeauckland

18. Arkless Electronics

Hodges

Maybe not. With some AV Systems costing Mega - Bucks, to reproduce Computer Generated Soundtracks to accompany the latest Block-busters, they may never have heard a real instrument. However, whatever floats their boat!

However, I'm sitting listening to A.M. through my 909 and Spendors - just lovely. My modified Gizmo [12 position Loudness control modified to perform as a Low Pass Filter, as an alternative to a Bass Tone Control] is working really, really well. 6db. Lift just adding a bit of depth/warmth at the lower mids/upper bass frequencies. As I just said to my son, "It's the cheapest and fasted modification I have made in entire career". This is at slightly higher volumes than I intended it for, so that's a real plus. At lower levels, 12db. lift is pretty damned good too, without causing cabinet resonance.

Forgetting the 909 and my Sugden for a moment, after 51 years of ownership, I am seeing for the first time, just how good the BC 1's are - albeit courtesy of the 909 and Sugden.

Hodges, Jun 28, 2024
  19. Arkless Electronics

Hodges

Most Yanks are "Serial" something or another. If he comes out and says he supports Trump - I'm off! Could he be "Trump" - he gets into lots of things, but we won't go there.

Anyway, I'll know before my next post if I am Barred.

Hodges, Jun 28, 2024
  20. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics

Little point in discussing hi fi when people believe that it all sounds the same! .... and there is so much general interest in the topic that when I started a thread about hybrid amplifiers it got 2 replies (but maybe 2000 read it... probably advertising bots of course).

I hope to have the new hybrid power amp running in the next few days anyway:)

Arkless Electronics, Jun 28, 2024
Ask a Question