Why spend so much on a CD system? Just a thought...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by SMEagol, Jan 15, 2009.

1. SMEagol

SMEagol Because we wants it...

I don't know what you mean, just off to iron my orange cap sleeve tshirt and white jeans and streak my big hair. :D

I'd heard the higher registers (ie all this fuss about harmonics) are not capped on vinyl, whereas they are on CD, would that make a difference?

SMEagol, Jan 15, 2009
  2. SMEagol

RDD Longterm Lurker

Well traditionally the frequency range of a CD is 20Hz - 20KHz, some say that's the maximum range of human hearing so the CD fans argue any more is pointless, but Vinyl doesn't have those restrictions AFAIK

RDD, Jan 15, 2009
  3. SMEagol

Haselsh1 Shaun H

Yeah apparently CD has brickwall filtering at the frequency extremes which is a 24db/octave roll of. That must have some impact on the sound. On top of that is the fact that my ears are analogue.

Haselsh1, Jan 15, 2009
  4. SMEagol

Mr_Sukebe

My primary reason is simple, I have a fairly big digital collection now (pointless saying CDs, as it's all ripped to FLAC on my PC), and bugger all vinyl. As "hi-fi" is meant to be about listening to music and enjoying it, then surely we need to optimise replay of the medium that we own.

Secondly, I actually think that CD has got a lot closer than it used to be. Maybe I'm just getting used to my latest digital source, but I really have been seriously unimpressed by a number of vinyl rigs more recently.

Mr_Sukebe, Jan 15, 2009
  5. SMEagol

Seeker_UK

If you like the bass being progressively rolled off as the stylus approaches the end of each side. :)

Seeker_UK, Jan 15, 2009
  6. SMEagol

SMEagol Because we wants it...

hell yeah. :D

SMEagol, Jan 15, 2009
  7. SMEagol

Tenson Moderator

Different CD players and DACs could have a differnt filter at the extremes. Some of the more modern DACs use 'FIR' filtering which is phase linear and allows them to use stupidly tight filtering without any of the usually complained about 'ringing'. Others like many NOS DACs have no filtering at all or only 6dB/Oct.

You might be surprised to hear that your ears are not actually entirely analogue. The Stereocilia in the inner ear, that generate the electrical signals that travel down the auditory nerve are finite in number, and they are either 'on' or 'off'. Your hearing is made from a quantized electrical signal, sorry! :)

Tenson, Jan 15, 2009
  8. SMEagol

Haselsh1 Shaun H

My ears are still analogue in that they do not contain a digital to analogue convertor and therefore none of that devices shortcomings.

Haselsh1, Jan 15, 2009
Ask a Question