Why the probelm with large English brand names?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ken, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Ken

The Devil IHTFP

I have actually no more idea about this than you have. And so what anyway? You guys are so into hi-fi that most of your systems change with the wind direction.

The Devil, Sep 14, 2004
  2. Ken

The Devil IHTFP

It isn't. I regard you, Merlin, as a little guy who thinks he has big ideas. And you are a reasonable, if obvious, wind-up merchant. You can talk about my system to your heart's content once you've heard it.

The Devil, Sep 14, 2004
  3. Ken

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Your skills, in customer understanding and relations James are obviously well sought after on the labour market, has any one attempted to 'Head hunt' you recently?

wadia-miester, Sep 14, 2004
  4. Ken

The Devil IHTFP

WM, if you have all the answers, how come your system sounds a bit funny [allegedly]? Sort-of, well, "mono"?

The Devil, Sep 14, 2004
  5. Ken

julian2002 Muper Soderator

greg,
    thank christ i wasn't drinking my chilli coffee when i read your last post otherwise my nose would be on fire and my laptop would be melting.

bub,
    i'd agree with you 100% in the above quote. however just because you like something doesn;t mean it's accurate or any of the other words used to describe hi-fi equipment, it just means that you like it.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 14, 2004
  6. Ken

The Devil IHTFP

I like it because it is accurate julian. IOW, I like music, not listening to colorations or waiting, cringing, for the system to lose the plot.

That's your idea of humour? OK.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2004
    The Devil, Sep 14, 2004
  7. Ken

merlin

I'll take that as a compliment then shall I? After all, it's probably better than thinking you are a big guy and having little idea ;)

merlin, Sep 14, 2004
  8. Ken

The Devil IHTFP

Take it any way you want to.

The Devil, Sep 14, 2004
  9. Ken

julian2002 Muper Soderator

yes, humor - something that seems sorely lacking on this forum these days.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 14, 2004
  10. Ken

The Devil IHTFP

A pretty lame jibe, is how I saw it, but it takes all sorts, I guess.

The Devil, Sep 14, 2004
  11. Ken

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Humor, strange concept Captain
    Yes James its a damn fine mono system without question

wadia-miester, Sep 14, 2004
  12. Ken

Paul Ranson

'Flat Earth concepts' are simply to use music rather than sound to judge a hifi. There is no reason why you would be trading 'imaging and detail'. There are many threads across many fora discussing this.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Sep 14, 2004
  13. Ken

penance Arrogant Cock

Good god
    Is he STILL harping on:(

Sooner we all ignore him the sooner he can feel secure in his little world, and we can have a forum, with humour ;)

No, I am not reading his posts, but the amount of times i see - This message is hidden because The Devil is on your ignore list. - tells the story ;)

penance, Sep 14, 2004
  14. Ken

Paul Ranson

I'm asserting that an undistorted bandwidth limited system is more accurate than a distorted yet less limited system. Relative accuracy rather than absolute.

Did I say pitch was the only concern?
    Are you asserting that the 'timbre' of bass instruments comes from the fundamental?
    Are you asserting that a one-note-bass wooble-box can portray accurate timbre when it cannot do accurate pitch?

Paul

Paul Ranson, Sep 14, 2004
  15. Ken

merlin

Hi Paul,

in answer to the first of those questions, no , but the fundamental is essential IMO in portraying any instrument with accuracy and once heard it is easy to hear the trick harmonics play on the ear.

In answer to the second question, I do not advocate boom boxes, but IME there are many solutions available these days that can produce the bottom octave in most rooms without the one note distortion you talk of. Indeed I have heard more than enough setups with +10db lumps in the mid bass to know that this problem rarely tends to be the result of bottom octave information.

merlin, Sep 14, 2004
  16. Ken

voodoo OdD

:ffrc: :ffrc: :ffrc:

FACT : No one and I mean NO ONE on the planet has an accurate hi_fi if your definition is an accurate reproduction of a musical event. Some of you guys really need to lighten up and just listen to some music. The very fact that you are all squabling about how 'accurate' a piece of music is means that you are listening to the equipment reproducing the 'event' and not to the 'event' itself.

Very, very sad :rolleyes: .

voodoo, Sep 14, 2004
  17. Ken

MartinC Trainee tea boy

For the tiny amount that my opinion matters to anyone, that does make some sense, so long as people are acknowledging either is a compromise from true accuracy. This was first mentioned above in relation to a 40Hz room resonance, and I do think that preventing something like this being overly dominent, at the expense of (the small amount) of even lower frequency content is going to be closer to the original sound. If you record something with strong 40Hz content, you're going to be doing it in a big room if it's not all boom. Playing this back in a smaller domestic setting at the same level will likely give a very different sound due to room resonance issues (i.e. distortion).

MartinC, Sep 14, 2004
  18. Ken

The Devil IHTFP

There will possibly never be a system which is 100% accurate in all respects. But you can get a heck of a lot closer to this than most of you believe.

And that has to be the objective goal of hi-fi, otherwise it's not hi-fi.

The Devil, Sep 14, 2004
  19. Ken

PeteH Natural Blue

No you can't, and no it's not. :)

The perception of pitch of a given note is affected by the series of harmonics present, but it depends strongly on the fundamental. If the fundamental isn't present (as happens quite often with bass-challenged speakers) then the ear latches onto something else and assumes that is the fundamental, and often with the low register of bass instruments you'll end up hearing it as the note an octave above (although sometimes a fourth or fifth above). Now, of course, that usually means it'll end up sounding OK - and you usually tell what note it's supposed to be, even if you don't hear it at the correct octave pitch - but you can't describe that as "accurate" by any stretch of the imagination.

PeteH, Sep 14, 2004
  20. Ken

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Lost causes! ;)

PBirkett, Sep 14, 2004
Ask a Question