Why the probelm with large English brand names?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ken, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Ken

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Just out of interest, anybody heard the ATC SCA2 preamp?
    Is it good enough to be nearly in Nagra territory?
    Reason I ask is I've got a demo booked for one...

leonard smalls, Sep 14, 2004
  2. Ken

analoguekid Planet Rush

Just cos you can afford it James does not make it elitist, flying your own Jet now that's elitist, but HIFI is for everyone who wants it, from low cost to money no obnject systems all give more pleasure than their monetary cost, I'm begining to see EXACTLY were you're coming from with posts like these, you are really not painting a good picture of yourself, keep it up.

BTW you have still to answer my questions regarding "everyone who disagrees with me id deaf/wrong/or cannot comment as they haven't heard "accurate" yet".

Seems to me that you and to a certain extent PR are basing your arguments along the lines of, "Well mine is better coz I have got the best I have heard, and everyone apart from you lot say so, I mean Pink Floyd use ATC (Sans massive mana stacks to which you said they "they are not very good untill you get thenm on mana" so are PF deaf/wrong as well. And Herman and Fox and Barnie and Paul Ranson and all those whose opinion agrees with mine, I mean whose opinion I trust, SAY SO.

I suggest that upon hearing my system you had to change your point of reference, as you had never believed that a system could sound better than yours, James the picture on your face said it all, and I know these things as I have had extensive training in this area. If my system was so bad why did you go to the bother of playibg all your difficyult discs surely it would have been obvious to the three of us (2 weren't convinced, and couldn't really hear what you were talking about) on the first one you played, as to your ears hurting well james it was very loud way over 100db IMHE and was so clean and UNDISTORTED that we never noticed how loud, James keep this type of posting up as your already shakey credibility is rappidly diminishing :)

analoguekid, Sep 14, 2004
  3. Ken

analoguekid Planet Rush

Do Nagra not pride themselves on accuracy at the expense of all else?

4. Ken

The Devil IHTFP

Astoria studios (PF) use Mana stands.

Telling me time & again that your system sounds good doesn't make it true.

To be brutally honest, I didn't like it at all.

The Devil, Sep 14, 2004
  5. Ken

Dev Moderator

Well the majority of people in this country could if they wanted to. After all, you can put together a perfectly reasonable starter system (though, perhaps not by your standards) together for under £500.

Dev, Sep 14, 2004
  6. Ken

voodoo OdD

No, just ridiculously stupid.

voodoo, Sep 14, 2004
  7. Ken

The Devil IHTFP

Foxhunting is both elitist & stupid, then.

I put a system together for about £500 for my g/f. Very good it is too, for the money.

But I still maintain that buying systems costing thousands at RRP is elitist.

God knows how much AK's gear cost. The dealer saw him coming a long way off.

The Devil, Sep 14, 2004
  8. Ken

Dev Moderator

You could say the same about practically anything. An expensive car, house, boat. Need I go on?

Dev, Sep 14, 2004
  9. Ken

analoguekid Planet Rush

How come that the reciprocal cannot be said of you then James, repeatedly telling everyone you have the answer does not make it true, we are getting to the bottom of this I now feel, I can accept that you didn't like it, (although your body language contradicted that, typical AD in your responses I might add) that;'s a subjective statement and given the differences between our systems I'm not wholly surprised, now if you will get off your High horse and stop presuming that we have to believe everyhting you say is the Law, sadly like most of us James you don't have all the answers.

And FWIW my floor vibrates very little (if at all) now my room and walls do but not the floor, and there is no muddle to these ears, maybe you need to see one of your nurses and get her to syringe your ears.

BTW what's the answer to the question as to why we are all wrong if we disagree with you.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2004
  10. Ken

analoguekid Planet Rush

BTW James at retail values mine cost less than yours and I paid way less than retail, JV and JW and IT certainly saw you comin', you've basically bought into the flat earth marketing and as a result are blinkered to change.

JW-"need to get rid of these ugly big speakers, mmm wonder who would buy them for home, ahh I know Bub"

JW (on telephone) James I have some speakers I'm looking to get shot of, they sound great and sound even better as you keep adding more of my companies product, KERCHIIIIINNNNGGGG, whose the gullible one?

11. Ken

analoguekid Planet Rush

PS James why is it all about "How much?" with you, it's the sound that's important.

And don't forget my question above :)

12. Ken

analoguekid Planet Rush

Yeah I could have been conventional and bought similar badges like yours, from L&C, however I used my ears and made a choice that suited my tastes, rather than changing my taste to suit the marketing, your correct I could have been way ubhappier if I'd taken your path. :)

13. Ken

The Devil IHTFP

AK, you and Paul Ranson are the only people here who have heard my system recently. I've heard both yours and Paul R's.

Paul's is in far higher bracket than yours, it sounds clean, clear and natural. You can relax and hear everything going on in the music very clearly. But he's using very good gear in a nice big room, so not a great surprise.

When I came away from yours I had a headache. There's tons of bass in your floor, this is royally screwing-up your midrange, which is why the system sounded much easier to listen to with the bass modules disconnected. Most of these problems are due to inadequate set-up, IMO. Some may be kit-related, I don't know.

You have chosen gear which looks "good" at the expense of sound quality, IMO. I mean, honestly "High definition amplifier" indeed! And all those "TECHNOLOGIES" lights on the front. They are having a laugh.

The only ART in the speakers is in the styling: they lost the plot completely at high volume, which is why I got a headache.

The Devil, Sep 14, 2004
  14. Ken

The Devil IHTFP

No, you've made my point. Those things are elitist, too.

The Devil, Sep 14, 2004
  15. Ken

penance Arrogant Cock

Paul,
    You wont win, I suspect he knows he is wrong, but arrogance will not allow him to admit it.

penance, Sep 14, 2004
  16. Ken

analoguekid Planet Rush

James there is less vibration in my floor than yours, I know I checked just the other night. You had a headache as it was too loud, oh and had treble and mid with texture, yours is too laid back and bassy, those huge drivers at ear height dominate the sound, the treble is far too recessed, and the texture just isn't there. My kit has less lights on the front than yours, so in your argument mine must sound better than yours. Also I doubt that the cases our respective kit is contained in are much different in manufacturing cost, although Naims economy of scale must have a bearing, but I doubt they would pass that on to their customers. Just as much attention to detail has been poured on each I'm sure, but at least my power amp aint right in the middle of the speaker boxes, the vibration must be causing havoc with the electronics. How does mana cure that?

PS will you answer the question above.

PPS I don't know PR other than his posts and I have never heard his system, so can't possibly comment, although I'm sure it's very good.

17. Ken

MartinC Trainee tea boy

I'd have thought for many people the interest in HiFi as a hobby (as wholly divorced from the musical enjoyment part) comes from being able to assemble and develop a system within the financial constraints they have. It would for instance be much less satisfying for me if someone just said, right, here's a million quid, go and buy the best system possible. Not that I'd knock them back you understand ;).

MartinC, Sep 14, 2004
  18. Ken

The Devil IHTFP

I'm not going to answer any of your questions if you continue to tell porkies. If you are not interested in improving your system, that is A-OK with me.

The Devil, Sep 14, 2004
  19. Ken

analoguekid Planet Rush

Thanks for the support Andy, I know you are right, but I'm enjoying myself.

The clincher was, withoput a doubt

Pot, kettle, black. And I thought the "Hipocratic Oath" had another meaning entirely.

I rest my case.

20. Ken

The Devil IHTFP

Why is what I think it so important to you?

The Devil, Sep 14, 2004
Ask a Question