Why the probelm with large English brand names?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ken, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Ken

julian2002 Muper Soderator

tony is no longer sharing his consciousness between 10 other facets of his interdimensional self. these other facets have now split and are continuing seperate existances in their native plenums. he will be spawning again in the near future once again fragmenting his narrative talents. so, if you need a coherent answer out of him ask now!!! ;)
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 15, 2004
  2. Ken

penance Arrogant Cock

Well I hope he can still cook well!.

penance, Sep 15, 2004
  3. Ken

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Multi universe fractual reintergration only occurs once every 3.5 eons, so there is a chance a normal responce during the next crocton segment.
    Besides sharing one unique consciousness with infinate possible derivetives over the expanse of enternity can be a trifle grating on occations, if not perplexingly convaluted in a neo-transedental fashion.
    Still its these small sacrifices that propel us forward in to the great unknown with the fortitude that befits this small bi-pedial speicies with such completeness.
    So any questions then?

wadia-miester, Sep 15, 2004
  4. Ken

penance Arrogant Cock

Thank god for that!

Yes, can I get some stuff?

penance, Sep 15, 2004
  5. Ken

Paul Ranson

But you don't get that choice. Given you're forced to compromise, so where to do you compromise? Good small speaker or bad but loud and bassy big one? Limit of 100dB and very low distortion or 120dB and high distortion?

Paul

Paul Ranson, Sep 15, 2004
  6. Ken

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Andy,

What "sort of stuff" do you wish to aquire sir?, a few more details and specifies would be most benifical in dealing with your request

wadia-miester, Sep 15, 2004
  7. Ken

Paul Ranson

You roll off at 10kHz and you no longer have hifi, even Bub'd notice that.

I disagree with you that lumpy and/or one-note bass is preferable to an earlier roll off. Perhaps it's a generation thing, what with all these subs and ported speakers in the last 15 years.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Sep 15, 2004
  8. Ken

penance Arrogant Cock

Sir,

Stringy conductive stuff, off the finest nature, in a length to suit my pre audio bliss container.

penance, Sep 15, 2004
  9. Ken

analoguekid Planet Rush

Tone, Andy, if you two are conducting a transaction then do it on PM or James will accuse Tone of using the forum to peddle his wares, when asked a question he'd rather avoid.

OTOH if yer on the scrounge andy, ask for twice as much and give the rest to me please :)

analoguekid, Sep 15, 2004
  10. Ken

penance Arrogant Cock

Wared?
    I smelt them, bad!

penance, Sep 15, 2004
  11. Ken

PeteH Natural Blue

If we follow through what you seem to be saying, then can we conclude that all floorstanding options are redundant as you can always gain greater accuracy by going to an equally priced standmount?

The last time I bought speakers I went for the 'bad but loud and bassy' option, as you can see from my signature. ;) Looking at options up to around £1000 ish, I had a choice between floorstanders like the 22Ls, and standmounts like the similarly-priced B&W 705s. Now, the 705s may have a slight edge in some respects [although in this case I'd say there's not a lot in it, but that's not really relevant], but you don't get much of anything below say 45Hz, whereas the 22Ls go really pretty low in-room (-6dB @ 25Hz in HFC's review, not sure about in my room). Granted, the effects of room resonances are sometimes audible at the bottom end if you've got a fixed bassline.

So with the 705s we maybe get a slightly clearer sound with violin, flute or voice, and chances are it'll be more firmly fixed in the stereo picture - but present them with a bass drum, the low register of a double bass or an organ pedal and they just splutter and die completely, and in the absence of the low-frequency ambience information recordings can all tend to sound a bit like they're made in anechoic studios. With the 22Ls the stereo image isn't so consistently sharp but the bottom string of the double bass is dug out without difficulty, 5' orchestral bass drums sound like big bass drums with a proper thump-you-in-the-chest bottom octave impact, you can (just) make out the throbbing fundamental of the organ entry at the end of Saturn at just below 21Hz - though, yes, some of the sub-30Hz notes in the ensuing passage sound a bit louder than others, no doubt due to the uneven bass response - and if you listen behind the orchestra you can quite often get a reasonable impression of a great big empty echoey building. Which would you say is more accurate?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2004
    PeteH, Sep 16, 2004
  12. Ken

Saab

totally disagree

there is more technical information/disinformation in these threads that anywhere else in fora land,its a great way to learn,or at least improve understanding,for guys like me.Long may these types of threads last,its what the internet is for.Mutual admiration would be boring,arguements are not.AFAIK the internet isn't runnign out,so don't stifle free speech I say.And of course these threads are also hilariously funny.
    Moderation is the cruel enemy,not bickering.

Saab, Sep 16, 2004
  13. Ken

lordsummit moderate mod

saab I wrote that pages ago, and since then there has been a marked upturn in the quality of info I think. Not so much intercenine bickering about brands. I am now following with interest as I have a problem with a vibrating ceiling.

lordsummit, Sep 16, 2004
  14. Ken

analoguekid Planet Rush

Yeah bet you wish it was your floor, put some heavy rock and and wait for the climax! :)

analoguekid, Sep 16, 2004
  15. Ken

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Piffle and tosh!
    It's not necessarily a compromise - there are floorstanders which do all that sweet top and middle together with soundstage, with bass as an added bonus. Not that many stand mounts do though (at least not small ones - e.g Harbeth monitor 40 is a standmount that's as big as most floorstanders....)

Spose if you only listen to tizzy hifi music from the Linn collection you wouldn't notice the difference :D

leonard smalls, Sep 16, 2004
  16. Ken

The Devil IHTFP

How about 115 dB and low distortion? And deep bass, and a 'standmount'.

The Devil, Sep 16, 2004
  17. Ken

Markus S Trade

I'm very much looking forward to the report of merlin's visit to Bub; hope it'll happen.

Meanwhile, Bub, if you want to make sure you're not caught in an awkward position, you might want to order this test CD and check your rig's performance in the bass.

Markus S, Sep 16, 2004
  18. Ken

analoguekid Planet Rush

Why if it's as perfectly accurate as you guys state in a very good accoustic setting the surely he has nothing to worry about.

19. Ken

analoguekid Planet Rush

thought all that mana had eliminated distortion to inaudible levels

20. Ken

merlin

Let me just clarify that for me, deep bass means the bottom octave (and below in some instances).

There are very few speakers that can do this, and by neccessity they tend to be very large indeed. The alternative is the use of subwoofers - somewhat derided by many but technology seems to have brought them on in leaps and bounds.

For me, the advent of digital processing has ushered in a whole new era where it is possible to get the whole picture out of a comparatively small setup without the usual compromises.

I will be experimenting over the next few days with an interesting solution and will report back. Of course, sub sats, will never give the unconstrained dynamics and headroom that a large speaker provides unless the satellites are something like Bub ATC's.

merlin, Sep 16, 2004
Ask a Question