Why the probelm with large English brand names?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ken, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Ken

Ken

Before anybody calls me a smart @rsed Aussie, I am Yorkshire born and bred. :p

Ken, Sep 10, 2004
  2. Ken

penance Arrogant Cock

Ken, at least you get good weather now ;)

penance, Sep 10, 2004
  3. Ken

The Devil IHTFP

I agree. I think some people like to be seen as 'cool' iconoclasts, thinking that it is impressive to others.

The Devil, Sep 10, 2004
  4. Ken

Ken

Devil,

Whilst the rest place their gear on oil rigs :D

On sh!t now i'm at it.

Ken, Sep 10, 2004
  5. Ken

The Devil IHTFP

the rest place their gear on oil rigs

Yes, and everyone else gets very insecure and upset. That's the fun of it. No other stand has this effect on people.

The Devil, Sep 10, 2004
  6. Ken

Ken

Devil,

Ah yes, but I think it is the stand you take, rather than the stand you own that causes trouble.

Ken, Sep 10, 2004
  7. Ken

The Devil IHTFP

Heh heh! They don't like it up 'em, sir.

The Devil, Sep 10, 2004
  8. Ken

greg Its a G thing

Ken - I think your comments are all very valid.

Regards...

I was being ironic in the main, though I do encounter plenty of my fellow countrymen who I would describe as such.

greg, Sep 13, 2004
  9. Ken

analoguekid Planet Rush

Was Just browsing and felt I really had to stand up for myself.

First of all James

I bet if i had a greed with you then my hearing would have been exceptional!

Secondly, I suggest it is you who has the strange hearing, when disconnecting the bass modules of my speakers, both Dunkyboy (an active ATC user)and myself had a different opinion from you, we thought they sounded better as three way you didn't, or is Dunc's hearing "rather strange" also?

Secondly I described your sysytem as lacking in texture, and roundness, when WM suggested bleaching, I felt that that was an easier description for others to understand what I meant and so plaguarised WM's comment.

You seem to think that I have an ulterior motive in saying what I think is lacking in your system, when in fact, I was expecting great things prior to hearing it, and then was a bit underwhelmed, it's as if you really believe that I am somehow envious of your "perfect" setup, this could not be further from the truth, I much prefer what my system does, and it looks a lot better whilst doing it, I suggest it is you who has the problem, and you seek to discredit those who disagree with you. In fact I'm not the one who feels the need to upgrade what I have unlike you who has tried to move your previous perfection to a higher level (couldn't have been perfect at P7 afterall).

James we are genuinely glad you like your system and only have a problem with your stance that you are somehow right and we are all deaf for disagreeing with your point of view.

I will not be replying to anymore posts on this subject, but felt as I had been discussed that I had to air my opinions.

analoguekid, Sep 13, 2004
  10. Ken

The Devil IHTFP

Jolly good.

AK's description of my system was initially "like a Ferrari", which is odd, because it doesn't go anywhere.

When I pointed out his bass & midrange muddle, the description of my system's sound became far less flattering.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2004
    The Devil, Sep 13, 2004
  11. Ken

analoguekid Planet Rush

James my comments to you in your house were intially me being polite, I don't go along to someone's house and then start insulting them and their system, but rest assured my thoughts on it have not changed, maybe it's the salesman in me that made me tell a white lie initially, however when you arrived at my home armed with your most critical listening tools, and proceeded to disect my system and tthen arrogantly proclaim all the faults, that ONLY YOU heard, then decorum does not come into it and the gloves are off so to speak.

I re-iterate, in isolation most people would be happy with what you've got, but when you know what is possible it is hard to be enthusiastic when listening to the former, not to mention the fact that all that mana is one: expensive and two:ridiculous looking in a domestic situation.

I prefer to stick with duncs description of my system as his views are way more balanced than yours, he doesn't have an axe to grind and he is not a zealot, Dunc reckoned that the soundstage was too wide (for his tastes) ( this was sorted for him by a little more toe in) and the midrange seemed a little recessed to what he is used too, and with the caveat that he is used to the ATC mids and maybe they were just more prominent, all said of course in his opinion.

As for bass/mid muddle well you Mr Goldenlugs are so far the only one to think so, but I suppose as is true with most egotists, that they all have "rather strange" hearing too, the common theme running thru' these threads James is making you look rather silly, as soon as someone dares to disagree with you then they either have no experience (or less than the 20 years you claim, well I have somewhat more than 20 years experience) or that they have strange hearing in some way, why not accept that your "panacea" (BTW how many phases before you get there?) is not a universal answer, and some want more from their music reproduction systems.

12. Ken

Lt Cdr Data om

yeah yeah let's have a fight, liven up the place :D

mana is dear, and my thoughts too, when you see fotos of masses of stands, I think 'that is not normal, its just not right, its totally unreasonable and is frankly bizarre, obsessive and if JW expects people to do that, he is a pilloch. no more harsh, a W*****

ATC mid units can be prominent, proac cut them quite strongly with resistors, so they are more laid back, in fact from what I have heard, a tad mid recessed with the ATC unit.

Lt Cdr Data, Sep 13, 2004
  13. Ken

michaelab desafinado

You know what they say about those smouldering embers...they can always break out into a full scale fire again :rolleyes:

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 13, 2004
  14. Ken

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Wow!

I bet you wont be inviting him again :lol:

PBirkett, Sep 13, 2004
  15. Ken

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Wait to you see the whites of his eyes, Fire a full spread at maxium yeild, that'll grab his attention

wadia-miester, Sep 13, 2004
  16. Ken

analoguekid Planet Rush

Michael Paul, I have said my piece and put the fire out, James is a nice man, but when it comes to hifi his views are a bit blinkered, therefore I see no point in any further arguing, the man is an arrogant zealot, and you cannot make him see that others have a view that's just as pertinent as theirs.

There are none so blind as those who will not see!

17. Ken

Paul Ranson

So why do you find it hard to accept the view that hifi has a precise goal and that some views (such as yours perhaps) must by that definition be wrong? Is that not a valid viewpoint?

IOW I accept your view that your system pleases you and that that's all that matters, I don't accept that this necessarily makes it hifi.

(I've only heard one half of this divergent pair, but I think that's sufficient.)

Paul

Paul Ranson, Sep 13, 2004
  18. Ken

analoguekid Planet Rush

It's seems that you are from the same school of arrogance as our Dr McP, and why should we believe that you and he are correct in your assumptions of right and wrong, on your say so?. I have never met you, but I am gradually building a picture from your posts, and based on this I feel sorry for you, you poor man.

19. Ken

Paul Ranson

So your 'all opinions are valid' school of thought isn't actually very tolerant of dissidence? I wonder where the arrogance really lies.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Sep 13, 2004
  20. Ken

The Devil IHTFP

Listen Paul, I didn't insult you, and I didn't know that your hi-fi system has or had feelings. Please apologise to it from me.

FWIW, I'm not impressed by the ART specs like "velvet kevlar" cones and the like. I regard that sort of thing as marketing hype. The separate mounting of bass and mid/hi module is an interesting idea, which unfortunately appears not to work.

I feel similarly about amplifiers which look the part with their sequential lights on the front, big heatsinks, and "High definition power amplifier" tagline written on the top, but which don't appear to deliver.

I think you've been sold a pup, but a pup which could benefit from proper set-up.

It's up to you whether you want a system that looks great, but sounds so-so, or alternatively a system which sounds great. I choose the latter, but then I'm into hi-fi.

The Devil, Sep 13, 2004
Ask a Question