Why the probelm with large English brand names?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ken, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Ken

analoguekid Planet Rush

Whatever!

I have made my point and Paul most on this forum would, I hope, agree that the majority of my posts are well balanced and my opionions are just that, opinions, as to why you have the need to jump in and attack any of my posts aimed at Bub, yet post very little otherwise, that makes you seem like you have your wee clique to protect, with statements the like of which we have from James and statements of yours like

Well if that's not arrogance in the extreme, then we must have different dictionaries.

Lifes too short, I'll let these to deluded wee boys to their "lord of the Flies" type games and from now on will only respond to posts from the rest of the "normal" members.

analoguekid, Sep 13, 2004
  2. Ken

The Devil IHTFP

I think the problem is that when you hear what is possible in domestic/pro hi-fi, ordinary systems just don't cut it any more. The genie is out of the bottle, the cat's out of the bag, etc.

The Devil, Sep 13, 2004
  3. Ken

Paul Ranson

I take what you say about Bub's system, my experience of it and many other systems, and I make an inference. Why is that 'arrogant' let alone extreme?

I'm generally resistant to post-modern nonsense, I'm sorry if challenging you on that offends.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Sep 13, 2004
  4. Ken

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Paul, isn't arragant, I did think this at first, he just has his own posting style, the way I have mine

wadia-miester, Sep 13, 2004
  5. Ken

analoguekid Planet Rush

Paul, I think we may have misjudged each other, my debate with Jaames is not aimed at his equipment per se, more at his insistance that he has the followed the one true path and that he is right, he refusese to answer questions posted of him as to how 2 people out of three in the same room had the same opinion, only his was different are both dunc and I wrong. James system may sound wonderful to you and he, but I'm sorry if that's your definition of the be all and end all in hifi then I'm glad mines is inaccurate and muddy etc, FWIW had you heard my system before all this nonsense started I feel you would not have arrived at the same conclusion James has, there is no audible distortion, it is very fast and musical, and I'm sure you would like it, James continual insistence is purely and simply sour grapes, I have studied body language and NLP for a number of years now and thinking back on it, his face said it all, he then started to point out problems that only he heard., I'll leave you to make your own judgement.

6. Ken

greg Its a G thing

Paul - can I clarify your point?

Do you mean to say that, in your opinion, the goal to hi-fi is a clear and definable one?

If so could you summarise/define this goal to allow other members to subscribe to?

Thanks
    Greg

greg, Sep 13, 2004
  7. Ken

The Devil IHTFP

Good grief! AK, get over it! There is obvious distortion and muddle - just play the Requiem again. If you can't hear it, it's because you are used to it, or just don't want to hear it.

Sour grapes?! I have never read anything so ridiculous in all my life. Are you suggesting that I aspire to your kit, but can't afford it?

The Devil, Sep 13, 2004
  8. Ken

Robbo

You two still at it?

Robbo, Sep 13, 2004
  9. Ken

The Devil IHTFP

I thought it was all over, but it seems to have gone into extra time.

Penalties next!

The Devil, Sep 13, 2004
  10. Ken

merlin

What an excellent idea from Bub! Two in one day - must have had his Ready Brek this morning!

Now can anyone suggest an appropriate penalty?

merlin, Sep 13, 2004
  11. Ken

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I think penalties on a subbuteo board would be good.

Bub can wear a Rangers outfit, and AK can wear Hibs.

:)

PS I wish you both could see that both sets of hifi's give a level of music quality that the ordinary Jo will never have nor aspire to.

bottleneck, Sep 13, 2004
  12. Ken

analoguekid Planet Rush

Chris I realise I am in a fortunate position to indulge my hobby, but I don't rub other peoples noses in it. I have always said if it makes you happy then who am I to tell you otherwise.

I will not be continuing, with this pointless argument, if he's happy in his little world then I'll leave him there.

The man needs to learn a bit of humility, and understand that Like medicine this hobby has no absolutes.

To quote a well known saying, (and it's been said recently) I'm gonna stop arguing with idiots as they just bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

PS I don't like football, can we do the penalties in the ring :)

13. Ken

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Its amazing how sad some discussions can become.

Both of you probably have hifis that would blow the mind of the average person, and yet you persist in arguing the pettiest of things.

Oh well, I'm going to have a beer. I suggest you two do the same ;)

PBirkett, Sep 13, 2004
  14. Ken

Paul Ranson

I assume you're taking the piss.

Paul

15. Ken

greg Its a G thing

Nope, genuine question. The simplistic response, based on the abbreviation, would be the goal of the highest fidelity to the original performance or production, but as a recent thread showed, this concept in itself is far more complex than it initially appears.

Beyond that goal, the given that all hifi systems (apart perhaps from the very very best) suffer from one compromise or another in their presentation, I am genuinely asking you to broaden your comment regards the precise goal.

(Naturally so I can then attempt to shoot your stick right out of the sand ;) )

greg, Sep 13, 2004
  16. Ken

Paul Ranson

The 'original performance' is a nebulous concept. The signal on the CD (or whatever) isn't. So that is what we want to achieve fidelity to.

The challenge then is to assign values to compromises. For example rolling the extreme bass off is a smaller demerit than managing a boomy 40Hz. Limited volume is a smaller demerit than loud and coloured. If you choose the other way then you're trading accuracy for effect, and that's not hifi.

Paul

17. Ken

PumaMan

I'd just like to say I've had Meridian gear for over 10 years and I wouldnt really want to buy anything else.

In my opinion its the best gear in the world. But remember its just my opinion, I'm quite happy for others to feel the same about their gear. Its nice that they do.

Arguing over Hifi kit really is a waste of time. Its like arguing over wallpaper or dark or milk chocolate. Hardly world stopping stuff. Quite pathetic really.

PumaMan, Sep 13, 2004
  18. Ken

PeteH Natural Blue

So how are you quantifying which is the bigger compromise and which is less accurate then? Personally I'd say having no deep bass at all is considerably more of a demerit than having uneven deep bass, and - if we're talking about pure high fidelity - is closer to the original signal on the disc, because at least you can hear what's supposed to be there even if it's distorted.

PeteH, Sep 13, 2004
  19. Ken

greg Its a G thing

But in the case of Bub's system - the LP12 (albeit Ninja'd) and Naim amps - are not reknowned for their accuracy.

greg, Sep 13, 2004
  20. Ken

Paul Ranson

The absence or reduced presence of redundant information is less significant than gross distortion and over emphasis of redundant information.

That's an interesting argument from personal inexperience.

Paul

Ask a Question