Why we love vinyl

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by thrudge, Dec 24, 2008.

1. thrudge

Papa Lazarou

Yes - the Voyd boogies like a little demon. It has a more engaging and involving sound to my ears, with soooo much drive.
    The Esoteric is noticeably stronger in the lower notes, has more detail - it's still very enjoyable to my ears.
    The old banger (Voyd) gets the nod for me though. It isn't much to look at but IMO will still hold its own against a lot of modern decks. It cost me very little too - which is nice!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2009
    Papa Lazarou, Jan 9, 2009
  2. thrudge

cliffyboy

My main reason for the love on vinyl is most definately the playback quality, but verging on the cd and LP, it is more the physical product and artwork that I enjoy owning. Also building up a huge collection of music to take over t he house and annoy the wife. Sure fire way for stress!!!!

How boring is it to look at album art work on a pc screen, boring boring boring.

cliffyboy, Jan 10, 2009
  3. thrudge

lydgate

Ode to vinyl

The joy of vinyl is in its sheer physicality. Playing a record means having a delicate object in your hands, often a relic from a time long past, cared for and treasured by different people over the years.

The album art, the liner notes, the lyric sheets, and the occasional other bits that those sleeves contain, without a doubt they enhance the experience. At the heart of it, though, the appeal of vinyl is that it's a tangible object -- that ages like something organic -- which makes it such a pleasure in a world rife with cheap and instantaneous digital duplication. There's something lifeless about bit-perfection, and something individualistic even about the scratches and imperfections of vinyl.

Records are expensive, fragile, cumbersome, and impractical; they demand great care, and are increasingly obsolete -- yet they're still capable of producing something beautiful and timeless. Isn't that inherently romantic, even tragic? Doesn't that nearly describe humanity itself?

lydgate, Jan 25, 2009
  4. thrudge

kingsxfan

The tactile nature of vinyl is a big draw. CD has always sounded great to my ears but it just doesn't have any soul. It's very hard for me to put into words but the tactile nature is definately part of the whole vibe.

Oh and it sounds bloody stunning at its best (but sounds absolutely dire at its worst).

kingsxfan, Jan 27, 2009
  5. thrudge

dudywoxer Regaholic

simply because it's not digital

dudywoxer, Jan 27, 2009
  6. thrudge

RAK44

I don't think it is the physicality of the medium for me.I do know that if I am showing off my Hi-Fi or enjoying an evening of serious listening I without thinking chose vinyl.

RAK44, Jan 27, 2009
Ask a Question