Why you can never 'win' with Mana

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by The Devil, Nov 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

I've recently upgraded to phase nine Mana tables under sources and preamp; speakers remain at phase seven....

This has produced an out-of-the-box stylee presentation which is totally natural and realistic sounding. You can't describe it in words on a page, imagine trying to convey what an orange tastes like to someone who has never eaten one.

But it can't be the Mana, because I've got good kit, so it's the kit that sounds good, not the stands. So a lose-lose situation regarding recommending Mana.

A lot of people listen with their eyes, see spikes, metal and glass ergo harsh, glassy, edgy sound, audition over. Others have agendas of their own.

James

P.S. I really don't understand why multiphase Mana sways if you push it - it's rigid, right?

The Devil, Nov 11, 2003
  2. The Devil

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Why you can never 'win' with Mana

spot on James :) now can we get on with the day please

wadia-miester, Nov 11, 2003
  3. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Yeah OK.

It is very strange that a group of people who are allegedly wanting good sounds from their hi-fi, and are by and large more than happy to spend cash on things like cables, will ignore / dismiss Mana stands with hardly a second thought.

The Devil, Nov 11, 2003
  4. The Devil

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Maybe it's because they look crap and some of us care about aesthetics :eek:

technobear, Nov 11, 2003
  5. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Aesthetics are obviously in the eye of the beholder Chris. I think they look great (reminiscent of mid-Victorian engineering, Brunel would have approved I think) and so does my girlfriend - but she likes industrial architecture.

The Devil, Nov 11, 2003
  6. The Devil

merlin

To be fair James, most of us who slag the stuff off have owned various pieces at one time or another. I know WM has, I have and sold it on to Lilolee who sold it on......

So we don't discount it. We know what it does and prefer our systems to offer something different. If you like the Mana effect then grate (sic). Everyone should try it, you get a free trial period anyway.

What gets me is that devotees insist that anyone who does not get on with it must be deaf or can't set it up properly. Plllleeease

merlin, Nov 11, 2003
  7. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Its Achilles' Heel is that it is extremely difficult to set up properly. There are eight spikes per level, all must be adjusted precisely and locked, the steel frames must be tension-free, the boards tension-free and level and the glass level and in-tune. This is much harder to achieve than many people realise.

The Devil, Nov 11, 2003
  8. The Devil

merlin

Point proven I think James:rolleyes:

BTW, if the stuff is so difficult to set up properly, WTF are they doing supplying mail order without installation?

Oh I forgot, no dealer wants the stuff, and those that tried it use it for supporting nothing more than CD's and boxes of cables.

merlin, Nov 11, 2003
  9. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Well, it's well worth the effort to get it absolutely right. Just one spike slightly out in a stack containing seventy-two, and the effect is greatly diminished/gone IME.

WTF are they doing supplying mail order without installation?

None of my business, ask elsewhere.

The Devil, Nov 11, 2003
  10. The Devil

mick parry stroppy old git

Bub

You know the answer to your own question. Mana is a good product which is badly let down by the nature and ill manners of its devotees.

You improve your style and Mana's image will improve. Simple as that.

This is not intended to start an argument but is stated openly in a spirit of helpfulness and support.

Regards

Mick......user of 4 lumps of Mana.

mick parry, Nov 11, 2003
  11. The Devil

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I'm still amazed people think stacking a load of glass, spiked benches on top of each other makes a hifi sound that much better. I tell you, the guy who invented these is very clever, and deserves a pat on the back - to be able to convince people that something so ridiculous will do so much for a hifi is a genius.

Can anyone prove it works? Double blind testing? Proper measured figures to prove what it does?

I think I need to invent a ridiculous snake oil type hifi device so I can make money from gullible folk like yourself, easy work if you can get it. :cool:

The fact is, anyone with a grip on reality can see how much of a con they are. Mind you, seeing some of the drivel that some people spout is definetly amusing. :D

PBirkett, Nov 11, 2003
  12. The Devil

penance Arrogant Cock

Paul,
    it DOES work, but as to if the change is good or bad, that is down to the potential buyer.
    I sent it back.

penance, Nov 11, 2003
  13. The Devil

Matt F

One day, when there are no longer small prying fingers around, I plan to get some decent racks for my gear (to replace the lockable cabinet that it has to live in just now for it's own protection).

Mana will be on the list along with various other "rack makers" - and that's the point IMO - Mana are obviously very good but they aren't the only choice.

I start to get turned off by Mana when the evangelical style preaching starts (as it has at the end of dunkyboy's £600-£700 speaker thread) - you hear things like "shame few of you will ever appreciate it" and "I'm barely able to listen to non-Mana'd systems nowadays" - okay, those aren't exact quotes but you get my drift.

Just a thought, but the most natural sound you are likely to get in your room would be the performer actually coming 'round your house with his/her acoustic guitar and playing for you live. In a Mana household would this be allowed or would the performer be made to sit atop a phase 9 table before starting?

Matt.

Matt F, Nov 11, 2003
  14. The Devil

michaelab desafinado

Forget Mana - this is the stand you want...proper industrial racking :D :

[​IMG]

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 11, 2003
  15. The Devil

Steven Toy

The setup issues are the bigest put-off for me to getting more Mana.

And the fact that I like what my stand does.

The aesthetics are irrelevant, only the sound should matter.

Steven Toy, Nov 11, 2003
  16. The Devil

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Michael

Does that double as a towel radiator?

:D

bottleneck, Nov 11, 2003
  17. The Devil

PBirkett VTEC Addict

What I'd like to see is at least some measurable change, for example a frequency response chart before and after each layer, rather than just someone says "it works". If it does not change the frequency then it may be more difficult to measure, but also it may be more difficult to perceive, barring placebo, IMO of course ;)

PBirkett, Nov 11, 2003
  18. The Devil

penance Arrogant Cock

well, i would say it may be a safe bet that measurements would show a difference. There is a very perceivable change with mana.
    But to buy ones equipment based on measurement and science is sadly misguided.

penance, Nov 11, 2003
  19. The Devil

PBirkett VTEC Addict

And to buy equipment based on someones biased opinion without any real proof of any difference isnt misguided?

PBirkett, Nov 11, 2003
  20. The Devil

penance Arrogant Cock

i didnt say that
    i use my ears, if i like what i hear then ill make a purchase. But things are not always explainable with science.
    Many things are not understood by todays science and as such these things could effect what we hear.
    200 years ago there was no scientific explanation for nuclear power, but if some-how someone detonated a bomb before science had explained it - does that mean the bomb didnt exist?

penance, Nov 11, 2003
Ask a Question