WIFI Installtion - One of my business ideas

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Nov 18, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

My main business is web development and multimedia authoring but it will take time for money to come in and this kind of business is not good for cash flow.

As a side line I have thought about offering a local WIFI installation service. I could upgrade older laptops/desktops to 802.11b, 11g etc, install access points and make sure the correct security and encryption is in place (too many people who go DIY on this don't bother/know how to do security).

I am going to do some leaflets and target some of the more expensive areas of Manchester. I just wondered if people thought there would be demand, for £100 inc labour I could supply an access point, two adaptors, provide basic training, user manuals and a warranty. I would make about £50 profit on that.

Customers will be able to get a live quote on the website by filling in the details. The website will also explain in plain english the differences between the various 802.11 standards.

Just two or three customers a week will be enough to get me off the dole :) but I know getting these customers will be hard which means a lot of pre-marketing which means I would have to get off the dole when I have zero income.

Test marketing will cost me around £50 including the website and leaflets (I can use my parents print facilities).

amazingtrade, Nov 18, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

auric FOSS

How did you get on discussing your business plans and ideas with Link and others offering info aimed at startups?

auric, Nov 18, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

So far I have only attended an introduction I have not had any 1-1 stuff yet, I have my first meeting on Monday. I have been filling in stuff though so I can get this grant.

They also sent me a 1000 page learn direct course free of charge (normal price £125) its very basic but has good information in it. Progress is slow but its all happening, I have been doing the websites and stuff. Hopefully from Monday things can really get moving.

They will tell me exactly what insurance I need etc so I don't rush itno anything and get conned.

amazingtrade, Nov 18, 2005
  4. amazingtrade

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Might be worth giving it a try. I do PC support/upgrades and more recently, there's been a call for wireless network installs as a sideline. An increasing number of people have more than one PC in their house and don't want the hassle of wires, so I would imagine there would be a call for it up in your part of the world.

In terms of gear - two people have supplied the kit themselves and have gone for Belkin, which seems to have improved from about 2 years ago. Personally, I have D-Link gear - decently priced and seems to work well.

nsherin, Nov 18, 2005
Ask a Question