Wingnut forces Amazon to rethink free delivery

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Wingnut, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Wingnut

Wingnut

...well not quite, but I did write to them recently to complain that the £39 price point to qualify for free delivery was too high. Many times I've been lumbered with a delivery charge because I don't want to buy 40 quids worth of stuff each time. I ended up going elseware - it's a matter of principal ;)

This is especially high when compared to to Amazon.com which is $25. Amazon.co.uk has now reduced theirs to £25 which is far more useful, a few albums a pop.

And all down to me :D

Wingnut

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2003
    Wingnut, Jul 26, 2003
  2. Wingnut

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Good work trooper!

It does put me off at times too! Amazon have a massive collection and I like the way the site works in general. However, they're often a bit MOre expensive than the likes of wow and 101. And their delivery charges are a bit OTT too!

One man mission!

Hail Hail!!!

MO :D

MO!, Jul 27, 2003
  3. Wingnut

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Their prices can be extortionate on some things, but typically when they did actually have a good deal on the shipping costs would negate it. Maybe now they might actually get a bit more custom!

Excellent work! Give it a few months and they'll give in and do free shipping since nearly all of their competition does (cdwow, play, 101cd etc.).

ilockyer, Jul 28, 2003
  4. Wingnut

MO! MOnkey`ead!

didn't they used to be free?

MO!, Jul 28, 2003
  5. Wingnut

Wingnut

I don't think Amazon has ever had free shipping, the 'Super Saver' rate is the closest they come to it. The reduction has already increased their business, I placed an order with them last night for the first time in months. :)

I think Amazon does tend to have greater choice than CD-Wow, albeit more expensive, although I've noticed their chart CD's are now £8.49. I've had excellent service from Amazon, Play, and CD-Wow.

I used 101CD once, but had horrendous problems with my order, i'm not a vindictive chap, so I'll probably give them another go in the future, they do some good budget CD's.

Wingnut

Wingnut, Jul 28, 2003
  6. Wingnut

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I get all my music from CDZone.

I used to use Amazon, but recently it stopped excepting my card, I re-entered my details that work fine every where else, still no go.

After searching for ages on the stupid website I actually found an email adress, emailed them and they simply gave me info on closing my account.

No loss to me

garyi, Jul 29, 2003
  7. Wingnut

Wingnut

I'm not surprised you buy from elsewhere, that sucks. That's a problem I find with internet retailers, when everything is going ok it's great, but when there's a problem they are really poor at customer service.

Wingnut

Wingnut, Jul 29, 2003
  8. Wingnut

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Gary - could be down to issue numbers on your Switch card (if that's what you were using) - mine got updated recently and although it works everywhere I've tried it (so far!) I've heard that some internet sites won't accept card details without an issue number...

I find Amazon's postage charges put me right off - only buy from them when I have to.

And is it me - or are 101cd.com getting slower at fulfilling orders?

domfjbrown, Jul 30, 2003
  9. Wingnut

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

No, it isn't you. 101cd are getting slower. It took them 8 days to ship The Thrills' album when their stock indicator said in stock. A couple of days isn't too bad, but a week? They used to be lightning quick but maybe it's because they've got more popular and just can't handle the volume of orders they're getting? They're almost as slow as whsmithonline!

Amazon tend to ship relatively quickly, but the postage costs can be prohibitive unless you want to get a whole stack of things.

ilockyer, Jul 30, 2003
  10. Wingnut

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Tend not to use amazon much, by the time you've added p+p its brought the total more or less up to what you would have paid in the shops...

davidcotton, Aug 2, 2003
Ask a Question